Trunk won't open

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed manual
Sorry to ask but after reading and watching I can't open the trunk by manually pushing the latch or rod. You can hear the lock working but nothing will pop nor with the key. They key fob itself doesn't work electrically and I suspect electrical problems with the locking system as it will randomly glitch. I also dont have any tools to scan the car with but is there a way to open this?

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I got it open by hitting where the latch is on the outside of the trunk. Figured it was sticking there. Though the trunk randomly doesn't open but after starting the car the button will work again. Faulty locking mechanisms/electrical problems.

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Does it consistently open right if you trigger the release when the engine's running? If so, perhaps there's a bad ground or connection and maybe you need the higher voltage from the alternator to overcome the losses and get the necessary voltage. It would require getting behind the trim panel on the trunk lid to allow access to the wiring with a voltmeter, but that would allow you to see whether you're getting 12V when you trigger the release.

I've never had to lube the latch on my Jetta, but I suppose it is also possible that yours might benefit from a little squirt of something (unfortunately, I don't know for sure what to suggest you lube it with, but I'm sure someone on here would know).

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Sometimes the button on the door doesn't work but it's not consistent. After turning the car on the button will work again. Today was the most trouble it gave me but I'll check that voltage. Thank you.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I had a similar issue. It was intermittent I think because it had broken the plastic lever arm and then it just didn't work at all when it finally snapped off completely. In my case I could hear it working but obviously there was nothing there to push to open.

midairmark

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I had a similar issue. It was intermittent I think because it had broken the plastic lever arm and then it just didn't work at all when it finally snapped off completely. In my case I could hear it working but obviously there was nothing there to push to open.
I am having this issue now (01 Jetta). I hear it working and it tries to pop it open but doesn't. Nothing opens it, key, fob, nor button on drivers door control panel. I tried lubricating the mechanism but still won't open normally. When it is open and I manually move the latch, it will move OK without any pressure on it though.

You mention a plastic lever arm.... do you have to take off the trunk lid "material" to get to it or can it be accessed without removing? What part(s) need to be replaced?

Thanks

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Remove the plastic interior trim. You'll see the Rube Goldberg-ian arrangement of servos, pivots, levers, etc. that opens the hatch / trunk.
Trouble-shooting becomes a lot easier once you see what you're working on. :)

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
I am having this issue now (01 Jetta). I hear it working and it tries to pop it open but doesn't. Nothing opens it, key, fob, nor button on drivers door control panel. I tried lubricating the mechanism but still won't open normally. When it is open and I manually move the latch, it will move OK without any pressure on it though.

You mention a plastic lever arm.... do you have to take off the trunk lid "material" to get to it or can it be accessed without removing? What part(s) need to be replaced?

Thanks
I had the same problem. Trunk would not open with the switch on the door panel. To open trunk from the inside, Open the rear driver side door Fold down the backrest on the driver side back seat, reach into the trunk with a small rectangular wooden stick and pop the mechanical arm up which is right up against the trunk wall at the farthest point. With the backrest pushed down Look inside the trunk with a flashlight and you will see the mechanism After a while it becomes routine. The trunk latch was defective or broken. I ordered a new one from Rockauto , plopped it in there problem solved

Last edited:

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
I had the same problem. Trunk would not open with the switch on the door panel. To open trunk from the inside, Open the rear driver side door Fold down the backrest on the driver side back seat, reach into the trunk with a small rectangular wooden stick and pop the mechanical arm up which is right up against the trunk wall at the farthest point. With the backrest pushed down Look inside the trunk with a flashlight and you will see the mechanism After a while it becomes routine. The trunk latch was defective or broken. I ordered a new one from Rockauto , plopped it in there problem solved
Well it doesnt have to be a rectangular stick, just any stick suitable and strong enough to reach to the back of the trunk and pop the lever up. Just look in there first with a flashlight and you will see it

midairmark

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
OK, I just ordered a new latch. Might as well replace it while it is apart. I saw some on Amazon too, so don't have to pay for the shipping with Rockauto.

Just ordered the plastic latch with plate too. After watching Youtube video, I am guessing the plastic piece broke. Will know when I open it up but will wait until part arrives.

Last edited:

xcmer

TDI
Jetta MK4

Thanks
OK, I just ordered a new latch. Might as well replace it while it is apart. I saw some on Amazon too, so don't have to pay for the shipping with Rockauto.

Just ordered the plastic latch with plate too. After watching Youtube video, I am guessing the plastic piece broke. Will know when I open it up but will wait until part arrives.
Good luck, it's a pretty easy swap. In the meantime, you can try pushing down quite hard on top of the trunk over the emblem and turning the key. Most often it's the plastic pivot piece that the actuator pushes against that's broken (https://jettatrunk.com/ has detailed video). The one in OP's photo looks fine though.

You can replace just the plastic piece but it requires drilling out the rivet.