Trunk leak help….

pas_finest_

TDI
97 tdi Jetta
So my 98 Jetta is leaking in the trunk. I narrowed it down to the taillight seals. Parts are impossible to find and used ones are trashed from junkyard. Car is a beater that I want to get some life out of (113k miles), so with that said does anyone know any redneck engineering to either make the seals myself or seal it and still be able to remove in the future if needed? Any certain products or procedures? I know this is seemingly common in mk3s

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I don't know if the Jetta is the same as Passat, but for my Passat, I just put a bead of clear caulk that channelled the water away from the lights.

codeblue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Vento GLX TDI
Instead of caulk or the stripping you could try a foam/rubber sheet and just copy the shape from your old seals, cut holes with x-acto knife etc. The original seals just seem to be a thicker 1/4" foam sheet.

I bought this for my jetta

Ajlal24

TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 2012 Golf TDI
Go to your local craft store and buy the foam sheets they sell in 12x12 sheets. Cut and trace the taillight gasket pattern and install with a bit of adhesive to the taillight. Ive done this for multiple cars without issue, and they look like factory pieces in the end.