Trouble on the Road

Leon R

Veteran Member
My son-in-law is on the move from Vancouver to Whitehorse and their first stop today is at our place in the Okanagan. Going up and over the Coquillhala Pass his 2000 Jetta tdi 5 speed lost power and was only capable of 60klms per hour up the hills. One the downhill slopes the car would bletch out lots of blue smoke for about 4 or 5 seconds each time. Not a continuous flow of smoke. No codes were tripped. He suspects maybe some bad fuel. There was no improvement on the rest of the trip here. Any suggestions as to what we should be looking at???

dagda

Had something similar happen with my 2000 TDI last summer. Took in in and told the service personell what happened. Turned out it needed to be de-coked. Not cheap but the dealership split the cost with me. Got my power back and the turbo whistle as well. Happened around the 90,000Km mark. Just my two bits on the matter. I did have the blue smoke happening as well but that may have been related to something else, haven't seen any since I had the Mass Air meter done on it. Now if only I could figure out that other noise...

Griffin

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, Green
Possible MAF failure, my first died gradually over a couple of months and the second one just died with no warning.

Leon R

Veteran Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Would there not be some noise involved with turbo failure?? And is it possible for the MAF to fail without setting a code?? When mine failed the power loss was not that severe and the CEL came on.