Tried to visit my buybacked Tdi today.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Went out to the stores today with the wife, on the way home, came up on the VW dearlership where we did the buyback Thursday.
I pulled in inorder to try to see it, to see how it was doing, to make sure it was doing OK.
But it was not to be. Alas it was behind a very high fence, topped off with barbed wire. I was not able to get close. I had no choice but to drive away.
All I could think of what fate would become of it, behind the barbed wire fence of this dreary German VW stalag
Perhaps my Jetta will link up with other Jettas , all locked up, and start tunneling out of there.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Went out to the stores today with the wife, on the way home, came up on the VW dearlership where we did the buyback Thursday.
I pulled in inorder to try to see it, to see how it was doing, to make sure it was doing OK.
But it was not to be. Alas it was behind a very high fence, topped off with barbed wire. I was not able to get close. I had no choice but to drive away.
All I could think of what fate would become of it, behind the barbed wire fence of this dreary German VW stalag
Perhaps my Jetta will link up with other Jettas , all locked up, and start tunneling out of there.
Who knows? Your Jetta may even befriend a Passat or two! :)

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
And you betrayed it by turning it in. :( Only joking!!

Come on man, it was a man made collection of metal, plastic, glass, other synthetic materials.....not a living, breathing thing. Snap out of it.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Come on man, it was a man made collection of metal, plastic, glass, other synthetic materials.....not a living, breathing thing. Snap out of it.
Oooh.. I'm hanging on to my Jetta as long as I can. It's been a remarkably trouble-free vehicle for me since new (2011) and I just can't bear the thought that once I turn it in, it's off to the crusher for it. So... yeah, I can empathize. Although it's a machine and emotionless, I feel like it really deserves a better end than this.

blondeshady2001

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 BGM DSG TDI 4DR
Each step of the buyback process becomes more and more bittersweet. Got the offer, was like yeah1, had it notarized and was like ok, this is happening, went and ordered my replacement vehicle, was like ooooh boy here we go, came home scheduled my appointment, was like sigh, welp, thats that.

the tdi has been worry free for nearly 6 years. will i miss it? of course. is change a good thing? I believe so. VW and I might not break up for ever, we're just on a break while we figure things out.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
When I turned in my 2014 Passat TDI, I did not experience any withdrawal symptoms. M pulse rate was probably elevated at the time though. :p

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
No, not a German stalag. A US POW camp (car-park) for the war crimes against the environment, political correctness, and all humanity. The big VW sign outside those locked high fences are to tell others who is imprisoned there, and that the peoples' car is in fact a criminal and those loyal servants were turned in for political gold.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I stepped away when family demanded a bigger car than a JSW/GSW. Having just driven the Skoda Octavia.......I find there is something about the brand that I miss, and isn't in my DD.

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
Oooh.. I'm hanging on to my Jetta as long as I can. It's been a remarkably trouble-free vehicle for me since new (2011) and I just can't bear the thought that once I turn it in, it's off to the crusher for it. So... yeah, I can empathize. Although it's a machine and emotionless, I feel like it really deserves a better end than this.
As am I! I love both of my TDI's like "unto death do us part!"
After I found out how things will most likely go down for these poor TDI's, I went out and saved a 2014 JSW. :cool:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I have a feeling there will be a lot of sell back remorse over the next year or two.

I am keeping my 90K mile TDI for the time being. If they come up with fix great. If not, I am keeping it. VW can keep their $5,100. My engine is a 2013 TDI CR that has only 38K on it now.

This car is in excellent shape, drives better than ever (with new Bilstein
shocks dampers all 4 corners and 24mm rear sway). I have full Westfalia
trailer hitch and wiring.

It still has grin inducing torque, great handing, nice amenities, MPG avg +40 overall....

If I bypass the 2018 buyback if no fix comes, I will likely upgrade the HPFP to CP3, when I do the timing belt. I will also consider the serpentine protection plate, CR-170 turbo, Malone engine and DSG tune and rawtek exhaust.

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
i have a feeling there will be a lot of sell back remorse over the next year or two.
I am keeping my 90k mile tdi for the time being. If they come up with fix great. If not, I am keeping it. Vw can keep their $5,100. my engine is a 2013 tdi cr that has only 38k on it now.......

THANK YOU!

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

111R

TDI
2010 Golf - Bought Back by VW
I went outside this morning to take a few pictures before today's buyback.

I realized that my TDI had been built in February. I bought it the following February and several years later, it went back to VW in February.

There's something about February.