Traveling to Toronto

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Hello,

I'll be traveling to Toronto at the end of June for a vacation with my girlfriend. We'll be doing the whole Niagara falls deal, and just wondering if I could get some suggestions of places to go, things to do, etc.

We're pretty open to try things, and etc. We'll probably be there about 4 days so throw out some options.

shopping, brewery tours, tours, unique areas, etc. whatever.

also anything I should know about driving in Canada? I'll be driving my modded mk6 gti, and will be looking for premium fuel. How common is 93 octane?

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
I prefer Shell VPower (no ethanol) in my BMW...but you can find ULTRA 94 at Petro Canada stations you will not have a problem finding quality gas. both companies have station finders on their websites!

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
Visit Toronto centre island(ferry),you can bring your car on the ferry but will be better to park,take the ferry and go for a stroll,there's a charge.
You can also visit steam whistle brewery.its all at downtown Toronto.
Visit the intersection of lakeshore and carlaw,there are movie studios there,if you're lucky,you might see a movie shoot.
They recently shot a part of the new robocop there and that's where I work.
Obviously you will be checking out the CN tower,don't forget to step on the elephant glass,you can see all the way down.
Visit the eaton centre mall,the food is alright.
When driving on the gardner express way(east bound),just before downtown Toronto,look to your left,you will be surprised what you will see through the apartment windows...I won't endulge further..lol.be warned though,you might get into an accident,ask me how I knew.
I work nights in Toronto....visit china town.
Have fun.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Your profile shows you as a student. If that is current, and you are into thrill rides, check out Canadas Wonderland, Similar to six flags. Lots of roller coasters & games. Try to go on a weekday as it gets very busy on weekends.

If you're into baseball, the Jays are home until he 23rd of June. Unfortunately, they are on the road for the last week of June. If you are a hockey fan, you can check out the Hockey Hall of Fame downtown.

What kind of music do you like? There may be a concert or two you might be interested in. The Toronto Jazz Festival also runs the last week of June.

Whatever attraction you go to see, or hotel you plan to stay in, always do a google search for deals or coupons before you buy/book. Lots of great deals to be had if you look.

Last edited:

ik0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
If you're going to Niagara Falls go to Niagara-on-the-lake. Your girlfriend will probably like it. While you're in the area stop by a couple of wineries, they're really nice.
Jackson-Triggs is one of my favourites.

No real change in driving. Just make sure you drive kph not mph ;).
Oh, and you CAN turn right on red lights in Ontario (unless otherwise posted).

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
No real change in driving. Just make sure you drive kph not mph ;).
Oh, and you CAN turn right on red lights in Ontario (unless otherwise posted).
Err, just to be clear:

1) Yes, you can turn right on a red light, but only after coming to a complete stop at the white line, and you must yield to cross traffic and pedestrians. If you don't stop at the line and turn slowly you risk tripping a red light camera and getting a ticket ($$$).

2) On the theme of avoiding a ticket: Acceptable speeds are no more than 10 km/h over the limit in town. On a rural (80 km/h limit) highway, maybe 15 km/h over. On a divided highway (100 km/h limit) you can usually go 120 km/h. Radar detectors are prohibited & are useless anyway because the OPP and metro police usually use laser.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Main thing I can add, being a frequent visitor to Toronto, don't pull around a stopped bus to turn right and yield for a bus pulling back into traffic. I've been to the whistle stop brewery but was too late to get a tour. I was more interested in the past use of the building than the brewery. Do the CNN tower. It's well worth it.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
In Torinto go to:
CN tower
Distillery district
Dundas Square/Eaton Center/Yonge St
Chinatown/Kensington Market
Yorkville/Bloor St
Walk around Queen St downtown.
Party it up on King St west of Spadina
Catch a ball game, concert, theater
High Park
Center Island
The Beaches
Lakeshore Blvd/Sunnyside/Palace Pier area to view the skyline and walk around.

I live in Toronto. If I was driving here to visit, last thing I would want to do is drive around more.

See some sites and walk around our multicultural city.

Enjoy.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I live in Toronto. If I was driving here to visit, last thing I would want to do is drive around more.
Totally agree! Toronto can be a challange to get around, even with a GPS.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
http://www.torontolife.com/

1, 2, or 3 day TTC passes are cheap. Use the subway to get around the downtown core.

Fuel won't be an issue. Just pump premium juice. The US has sketchy fuel from my experience.

Last edited:

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Distillery District, Mill Street Brewpub. Granite Brewery @Mount Pleasant&Eglinton, Great Lakes@Queen Elizabeth Blvd (Canada's BEST brewery) and in the same area Black Oak (Horner Ave &Evans).

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
One thing I'd mention is to stay away from hwy 407 Express Toll Route, there's no traditional toll booths and you'll get a surprise in the mail a month later that's at least 20/30 bucks or more depending how far you go.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
One thing I'd mention is to stay away from hwy 407 Express Toll Route, there's no traditional toll booths and you'll get a surprise in the mail a month later that's at least 20/30 bucks or more depending how far you go.

GOOD POINT! steer clear of all Spanish-owned highways in Ontario :D

redlinedave

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta wagon
if you like food
Little India, Gerrard st East
best veal sandwich California Veal, Clairmont st just north of Dundas (go you will love)

Ossington st from Queen west north to Collage has a lot of bars and good night life

The Piston on Bloor just west of Ossington is a cool little bar

St Lawrance market is fun, Jarvis and Front st. Get a pemeal bacon sandwich.

Kensington market is afun afternoon, just walk around and check out the second hand clothing shops, food vendors etc
you are right by Chinatown when in the market you can check it out too

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
When I drive in Canada I set my GPS to read speed and distance in metric. It really helps keep to the posted limits.

Also, be sure to turn your cellphone to airplane mode unless you need to use the phone. I turn on WiFi when in places with access and use net-based telephony apps such as Skype or Vonage to make calls.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check with your cell phone carrier to see what options you have in Canada. At work, we've been told to add monthly international service when traveling. Since I don't pay for my own cell phone I don't worry about it in Canada.

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Why do you say that? i'll be coming through michigan on the way over so i'll likely have to fill up at some point there....

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Gas is cheaper on your side of the border.

C$1.20 per liter = C$4.54 per gallon. With exchange, gas is about $4.30 per gallon.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Plus you'll get an extra conversion fee from your credit card company.