Tranny whining!!

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
well i looked through all the posts and all i found was about a auto transmission. i have a 5 speed manual, 1998 jetta a3. not sure which tranny i think its 020? anyway i get this whining and is getting me worried. it can do it when the car is moving or not moving. only can hear it at idle sounds like a whining with a bearing loose. its wierd all the regular parts like cv boots and bearings are fine check them so much im getting tired. how i know is tranny is if car is not moving i sit right near front left tire and hear it. when i push clutch in it goes away!!! when i let it out it starts again. i know tdi's pretty good but not trannys. this weekend am going to change oil in tranny but dont think it will go away. im about ready to give up on this thing. it nickel and diming me to death and i do all my own work. please help!

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
to add to before i have a shaking in my wheel in the front. checked everything. cv boots and bearings. a arms look good and sway bar. struts look good and brakes and rotors are fine. tires and rims are brand new and been balanced 2 or 3 times. could this be part of my tranny problem?? only happens above like 75 mph, doesnt do it below. i am totally clueless.

jag60mk2

TDI
Passat Sedan and Wagon, 1997, Green
Bowlerman,

My guess on your whining noise would be your throw out bearing. I've had rear wheel drive vehicles that exhibited the whining and bearing noise that you mentioned that would go away when I stepped on the clutch. It makes sense that the noise would go away when you push on the clutch pedal, because the throw out bearing is no longer engaged with the clutch therfore not turning.

If your whining is the throw out bearing, I doubt it has anything to do with a vibration at speed. Someone else mentioned possible loose bolts on the steering rack causing the front end to feel loose. Inner and outer tie rod ends would deserve a look also.

If you replace the throwout bearing, you may want to consider having a clutch and pressure plate handy in case you need it. You are there anyways.

Hope this helps,
Matt Ross
1997 Passat TDI 95K miles

[ February 07, 2003, 23:43: Message edited by: jag60mk2 ]

go_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Golf, 04 Jetta
jag60mk2

I have a different take on this especially with the through out bearing.

Your throw out bearing is only spinning WHEN you push your clutch pedal, Therefore would only growl when engaging the pressure plate.

it could be one of the bearings on the input shaft. mainly the one firthest from the clutch on the main shaft.

four possabile soulutions

1. it's the throughout bearing.

2. it's a bearing:
A. live with the whine (I did for 40K miles)

B. take Trans out and replace bearings (while it's out replace clutch and pressure plate also with vr6 unit + throughout bearing
)

C. put synthetic gear oil in or additive (I DID and noise stopped 26K miles ago) my Trans may have been low on oil.

go_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Golf, 04 Jetta
Not as low as I would have thought. But I had some "new" synthetic gear oil & additive, leftover from my drag car. Lower viscosity, higher film pressure, higher service temp.....
It's worked out in fine in both cars. Drag car puts out 1600 HP and there is no more ware than with standard gear oil. In the Passat though I thought it would improve fuel milage a little, but it stayed at 49mpg, oh well.

jag60mk2

TDI
Passat Sedan and Wagon, 1997, Green
go tdi

On my Hr and 1/2 commute on the way home tonight, as I pushed the clutch in to slow down going through the EZ Pass lane, I started thinking about my reply the other day and I have to agree with you about the throw out bearing and your further tranny bearing suggestion. I got it backwards.

Unfortunately, if you were to take apart the trans IAW the manual, the LAST thing you get to is the input shaft and it's bearings.

I think I would live with it also - at least until it got real noisy and/or you need a new clutch

Matt Ross
1997 Passat TDI

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
well just changed the tranny fluid and didn't hear anything yet will listen tomorrow when i go somewhere. put mobil 1 synthetic so it it be good. also very good hint: when changing and stick a metal funnel to fill hole disconnect the BATTERY!
almost got zapped! it hit the hot wire just after i put it in the hole. sparks started flying thank god i saw it before!
thanks for the info guys.

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
just did alignment its not that but weight might have been knocked off. didnt tighten rack because i think bolts are loose and ill do that soon and then see if still does it! thanks