tranny refusing to get out of park

ChugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
OK:
I was camping this weekend and my car was doing fine. Then I went to the ranger station and stopped my car. It was coldish outside (45 degrees F) and when i started my car back up again, the brake indicator on the tranny wouldn't go off when i depressed the brake and the car woudl not get out of park no matter what. I called VW roadside assistance for advice and they told me to step ont he brake, then turn the key one turn so no lights had come on yet, shift into a spot between neutral and drive and then start the car and palce it in drive. they claimwed this would reset whatever was wrong and fix the problem till i coudl get to a dealership.

Well, i did that, it worked, but it didn't reset the sensor or whatever because I had to to that for the rest fo the trip and part of the way back until the tranny had warmed up. Any advice for me here? I dont' wanna waste money at the stealershipa dn I'm hoping this is just some sensor or chip adn an easy fix.

Many thanks for the help

Jolene aka ChugBug

P.S. my car had NO problems towing my 900 pound teardrop trailer down hwy 1 and over to Big Basin park.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Switch the ignition on, step on the brake and have someone check the brake lights. If they are off...you have a faulty brake light switch which, as I recall from reading here, can cause the transmission to believe that you do not have your foot on the brake. Hence, it will not unlock.

Often, but not necessarily so, the glow plug light flashes when the switch is bad.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
If it does turn out to be the brake switch check with VWoA, I know some New Beetles were recalled for brake switches.

Good luck

ChugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
i got a notice about htat, guess i'll take it in and hoep that fixes it /images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks

jolene