Trading VE for PD

Jeff_Duncan

Veteran Member
I'm considering trading our 2002 TDI for a newer one with less miles. It's paid off now, with 135K on it. Trade in value is about 8K, and there is an 04 5-speed for sale near me with 25K on it cert pre-owned, which I could get for maybe 17K.

I'm concerned with the PD engine. For some reason there seemed to be more issues with them relative to the limited number of them on the road. Am I crazy? I'm just hesitant with this engine for some reason. It's like VW lost interest in it because they figured out something better. Ultimately I would like to find a low miles 03 with the VE.

What do you all think of the PE - I know there has been some discussion here and there - just looking for comments on whether I need to worry about it or not - I don't want to trade a car with no problems for one that is more likely to have them. I would, however like to move to a lower miles warranty covered car. The price is right and the trade value on the 02 is pretty good.

Thoughts?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
The PD has more stringent oil requirements. MY04 was the first year it was released here, but it was in operation in Europe for several years before that. The main problem here was the dealership ignorance of the special oil requirements. Many dealerships remain confused on this 3 years later! So the risk is the vehicle wasn't maintained properly. If you can see all maintenance records, then you should be OK in that respect. IIRC the 04 had problems with the tandem pump and there was a recall. The lift pump also seems to have a higher fallout rate in the earlier versions.

There is no advantage for fuel economy- the VE normally beats the PD in that regard.

If it were me I'd stick with the trouble-free car that you know the maintenance and operation history of. 135K miles is nothing. And its paid off!!

Regarding warranty- your present car doesn't need any work. It is well past the infant mortality stage. At this point its just maintaining it. Save a bit of that car payment you no longer have each month and put it into a "maintenance account". It will pay for the next timing belt job, brakes, tires, etc. The newer vehicle is also past the point of warranty really being an issue. Just find out if it has had any major work done on it. It should have had nothing more than 4 oil changes (with 505.01 oil) and a fuel filter change. I'd be curious why it is for sale.

good luck

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Actually use the savings to start a fund for a new '09. Never buy a first year new model anything, wait till the bugs are fixed.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I would join in the chorus and advise you to keep the known quantity...

You'd be paying a heavy premium to get "a lower miles warranty covered car"... we hear often around here about how well the warranty covers you... (NOT!!!!)...

Save your money... if you're concerned about some of the issues the 2002's may have (there was a batch of bad camshafts), go to Chris Hill in Braintree and have him give the car the once-over, and drive the paid-for vehicle...

All the best,

Yuri.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Jeff_Duncan said:
I'm concerned with the PD engine. For some reason there seemed to be more issues with them relative to the limited number of them on the road. Am I crazy?
Yep, you're certifiable. ;)

We've got a PD and a VE in the family. Aside from the PD having noticeably more FAST and being quieter, I haven't noticed any difference. Yes PDs take special oil. I also have 10,000 miles between oil changes to figure out where I want to get it. There's nothing inherently crazy about the engine design, cam-driven injectors have been around for decades. PDs have been out in Europe several years before they came out in North America and those seem to be holding up just fine. I wholeheartedly disagree that PDs are more likely to have problems, they just have some different problems from VEs.

However I must wholeheartedly agree with the previous comments. If you've got a car that runs well and is paid off, by all means KEEP IT.

Here's what you should do with your TDI - take the car to MrChill or JGG or your local guru. Have them fix anything that's wrong. Then take it to get fully detailed, inside and out. Then write me a check for $400 every month for the next 5 years. It'll be almost like getting a new used car! :D

scurvy

cage

Top Post Dawg
Keep yours!!!!
135,000 isn't anything.
My advise to you is to take the money you would spend on another car and take it to a trusted mechanic and have the suspension totally rebuilt.
You then don't have to worry about that for the rest of it's life and it really is JUST LIKE getting a new car.
I had my Beetle suspension redone and OMG do I love it.
I always kept new shocks / struts and tires on it but once I got new bushings every where as well as tierod ends and ball joints it made the difference of night and day.
The car was no slouch before but I now know how much play there was in those parts. It takes bumps like it's carved out of stone. No jittery feeling.
Now my Beetle (9 years old this coming May 1st) will go another 9 years!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Jeff_Duncan said:
I'm considering trading our 2002 TDI for a newer one with less miles.... Trade in value is about 8K... the trade value on the 02 is pretty good.
$8,000 is way too low. If you must have a newer PD, at least sell your current one privately for $11,000 to $12,000.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Jeff_Duncan said:
Okay OK!!

I'm gonna keep it!

I'm researching replacement shocks/struts...any recommendations for an easy ride close to stock?
good choice, Jeff ;)

tdiparts.com has suspension parts on special this month.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Jeff_Duncan said:
Okay OK!!

I'm gonna keep it!

I'm researching replacement shocks/struts...any recommendations for an easy ride close to stock?
Koni Reds, an easy choice.

And by the way, I ran into an acquaintance who traded in his 2004 Jetta TDI for a Honda. I was giving him some friendly ribbing until he claimed he got $8000 for his 2004 Jetta... with 380k miles. I have to admit that it looked great, but with that number of miles I would have guessed a value in the $3000-4000 range.

This makes the $8000 they offered for your 2002 with 135k miles look even more pitiful.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
A 2004 Jetta with 380k miles ???? Sheesh... he makes the two of us look like amateurs...

Yuri.

2003-TDI-Jetta Wagon - 4 Years Old (2 days ago) - 360150 km (223786 miles) (that was 2 days ago... add another 600 km...)

At least now we could have had an opinion on how well the PD engine puts up with idiotic driving like this... how was the car ?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ymz said:
A 2004 Jetta with 380k miles ???? Sheesh... he makes the two of us look like amateurs...
(snip)
At least now we could have had an opinion on how well the PD engine puts up with idiotic driving like this... how was the car ?
I think nearly all his miles were highway miles, just back and forth between San Diego and Orange County or LA, I think two round trips each day. So about 500 miles/day equals 125k miles/year.

It looked great... always had a bra on the front to protect from road debris, always kept it clean and shiny.

Jeff_Duncan

Veteran Member
TornadoRed said:
Koni Reds, an easy choice.

And by the way, I ran into an acquaintance who traded in his 2004 Jetta TDI for a Honda. I was giving him some friendly ribbing until he claimed he got $8000 for his 2004 Jetta... with 380k miles. I have to admit that it looked great, but with that number of miles I would have guessed a value in the $3000-4000 range.

This makes the $8000 they offered for your 2002 with 135k miles look even more pitiful.
No, they didn't offer anything - It was just a guess based on book value. I never went to the dealer.

Are the Koni reds that much better than the TC's?

Last edited:

MikeB60

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Are the Koni reds that much better than the TC's?[/quote]

Can't speak for the reds but I just put a set of TC's on my Golf and for the price I am quite happy. However, I bought the car with 92000 miles and the struts were original and completly worn out. I paid $200 for a complete set, shipped to the house.

Last edited: