TPMS to the rescue

BrettN

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
After leaving work yesterday, I heard a warning bell go off after driving a couple of blocks. I first thought it was the one that goes off if the temp is below 40F, but the temperature reading was 41F. I knew I wasn't low on fuel as I had just filled up the other day. I quickly scanned the instrument panel and saw this strange yellow indicator light was illuminated. Oh crap! That better not be the CEL on after only 2587 miles! I was about to be pissed.

So I pull into the parking lot of a nearby apartment complex and pull my owner's manual out of the glovebox. Of course, it turns out the strange yellow indicator light was the TPMS indicator. I get out and quickly look at the tires, but nothing seems abnormal. I then get my tire pressure gauge and check the tires one by one. Turns out the 4th tire was only inflated to 24 psi becuase of a metal shard that had punctured the tire. I took it to a nearby service station and the attendant was able to patch it up for me.

TPMS saved me a possible tire change on the side of the interstate, at night, in the cold. Thank you VW!

Funny note: When the old guy finished the patch job he asked if I liked Willie Nelson. Uh, sure. Why? Well, you're back on the road again.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
thats great! also better than damaging the rim and side walls of the tire because you were riding on the rim

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
TPMS is a National requirement for all cars in the USA after 2008

BrettN said:
After leaving work yesterday, I heard a warning bell go off after driving a couple of blocks. I first thought it was the one that goes off if the temp is below 40F, but the temperature reading was 41F. I knew I wasn't low on fuel as I had just filled up the other day. I quickly scanned the instrument panel and saw this strange yellow indicator light was illuminated. Oh crap! That better not be the CEL on after only 2587 miles! I was about to be pissed.

So I pull into the parking lot of a nearby apartment complex and pull my owner's manual out of the glovebox. Of course, it turns out the strange yellow indicator light was the TPMS indicator. I get out and quickly look at the tires, but nothing seems abnormal. I then get my tire pressure gauge and check the tires one by one. Turns out the 4th tire was only inflated to 24 psi becuase of a metal shard that had punctured the tire. I took it to a nearby service station and the attendant was able to patch it up for me.

TPMS saved me a possible tire change on the side of the interstate, at night, in the cold. Thank you VW!

Funny note: When the old guy finished the patch job he asked if I liked Willie Nelson. Uh, sure. Why? Well, you're back on the road again.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
That's funny.. When one of my snows went low on our '09, the TPMS indicator lit and then the MFD threw up "Tire pressure too low!" message.

I'm surprised the '10 didn't do this.

BrettN

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
TPMS is a National requirement for all cars in the USA after 2008
I did not know that. So in addition to kudos to VW, thank you US Gov't.

then the MFD threw up "Tire pressure too low!" message
Could have been the case here, too, but I didn't notice it.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
BrettN said:
I did not know that. So in addition to kudos to VW, thank you US Gov't.
Really one should thank Ford Motor Co, Firestone, and the idiots who couldn't keep their tires inflated properly :D

Glad to hear the TPMS was a benefit - often we only hear the bad (cost, temp related notices).