TPMS sensor diagnostic with RossTech

Locutus78

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I am looking at getting the RossTech VCDS. Will it diagnose a bad sensor for a 2013 TPMS? I have replaced both rear sensors a few months ago, but I just rotated my tires and got a TPMS warning light but the pressures are all good. Will VCDS tell me if one of the sensors is bad?

Stupendous60

Veteran Member
TDI
I have seen TPMS sensors "read" by a TPMS tool but the car did not "see" it, I have also seen a DTC for a bad sensor that showed pressure on the insturment cluster but was faulty. Does your car have equal or staggered pressures-all the same or different front to rear-if staggered they may need to be adjusted accordingly. Generally a steady on TPMS means low pressure on one or all, a flashing first then steady means problems with the system usually bad TPMS sensor. Otherwise if you are thinking of getting the RossTech VCDS get for every thing else it is useful for on your car. I am sure some one else can verify TPMS data capabilities with it (I would guess it does)

Locutus78

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I was told that the B7 doesn’t have an active TPMS but uses the ABS wheel speed sensors. I didn’t question the mechanic because when he replaced the wheel speed sensor it solved the problem. I don’t have a SnapOn obd2 reader so I was comparing the RossTech to OBDEleven. For my use (1 2013 Passat). I don’t need overkill. But for my current need of the TPMS it would be nice to diagnose it.
My tires are all at 36psi, and the light is steadily on.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Fairly common on the A6's/jsw at least to throw a false tpms light on occasion. Happens to me every 6 months or so. Check tires, clear code, and continue. If it keeps recurring then dig deeper.

People have also stated that a bad tire, bearing, balance, or even a rock in the tread could cause this.

Pretty sure I saw a diagnostic procedure in the A6 jsw section using vcds.