Towing with the TDI...ratings?

PlatinumGLS

Veteran Member
Trying to talk someone into a new Passat Wagon TDI but he would like to be able to tow a trailer with one or two mortorcyles from time to time. Anyone know the ratings on the new TDI...should he just buy an SUV even though he will only tow a few times a year /images/graemlins/confused.gif?

VWRacer1

Veteran Member
The owner's handbook for my 2002 Golf TDi says that it's rated to pull a 1000 lbs trailer. While it was still on warrantee I called the dealer to double-check, and they confirmed it's true. The Passat should be at least that much. And you should see what folks tow with them in Europe...people there treat them like Dodge Powerwagons! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jtroyce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI (sold)
From r.a.m.v.w.:
http://tinyurl.com/3g39j

If you're too lazy to click this url, it says:

From UK brochure. All weight in pounds (lbs). Manual 5 speed transmission.

Golf 1999 A4 (probably Jetta as well)

Engine 1.9l/90BHP TDI
Max trailer weight (braked) 2867
Max trailer weight (unbraked) 1323
Towbar load 165

They key is to get a good hitch. Class I hitches (US) are only rated to 1000 lbs.

VWRacer1

Veteran Member
That makes sense. The US limit of 1000 lbs matches a Class 1 hitch's capacity, while in Europe I've seen Jettas and Golfs pulling 20' travel trailers...at 70 MPH! /images/graemlins/eek.gif

Raring 2 Go

I was able to find the ratings for the PD in Europe at one point (I don't have a link though /images/graemlins/frown.gif ). I remember the ratings being at least 2500 lbs because I was looking to see if I could tow a Scirocco and the rating was plenty high. I actually think the number was closer to 3000 lbs but I'll have to see if I can track the webpage down again.

In any event, it can EASILY haul a motorcycle. Buying an SUV for that reason alone would be ignorant.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
I posted in another thread but it is not over 1500lbs... somewhere near 1460/1500lbs unbraked/braked and 165lbs max tongue weight.

Raring 2 Go

That sounds right for the A4 chassis. The B5 ratings I saw were higher - though I would have to find them again to see if there were coming from a reliable source.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
just looked in the manual again... 1650/2000lbs braked/unbraked still 165lbs max on the tongue... I must have been looking at either the 1.8T or the W8 before because they are lower.

Raring 2 Go

Man - I can't find the same site, but this shows a 1.9TDI with > 3000 lb tow limit

http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/volkswagen/volkswagen-passat-1.9-sport-tdi-4dr.asp

here is a link showing a 1.8T auto with a 3000lb tow rating.
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/cars/b...ast_specs.shtml

This lists the Kerbweight at 1400KG also (3000 lbs)

http://www.caravanning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/towcars.htm

Here is a good tow car! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/volkswag...;echo=912630053

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have the right receiver the car can tow a good deal BUT we don't get those receivers here in the US and Canada unless you order them from Europe. They replace the shocks in the bumpers that are required to meet the 5 mph bumper testing. Our receivers are flimsier... The best you could do is a class II tow rating here IMO without a frame rail style receiver as in Europe.

Raring 2 Go

Thanks - I was wondering why the European ratings were higher. I ASSumed it was a mere liability issue and they were underating the US models. By receiver, you mean a hitch? And if so, what do the shocks in the bumpers have to do with what hitches can be attached to the car?

Thanks again - this had been bugging me for a while.

FrankUK

TDI
Passat TDI PD130 SE Reflex Silver
In Europe where a towing bracket with a 50mm ball attachment is used the Passat TDI PD130 is rated at 1600kgs (3520lbs).This is the maximum load that the car is able to restart with on a 1 in 8 hill (12%).The maximum hitch download is 85kgs (187lbs).This download would equate to nearer 1200kgs trailer weight, as European policy is that the download on the hitch should be 7% of trailer weight for maximum stability.Mine tows a 1220kgs caravan like a train and does 32mpg in the process. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Where can I buy this beefy European tow hitch?
Any install pics.

Thanks

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Any pics of the D'Laan?
Where do you buy this particular hitch and wieviel kostet das?

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
If I buy a passat TDI it will have to tow a 1450 lbs boat + trailer (3-400 lbs??) for a total of lets say 1900 lbs.

From what I have read about Golf, Jetta, and Passat towing is that the North American tow ratings are bascically limited by the hitch.

I will have to go to an expensive, but sexy european hitch that should do the job no problem (all agree??)

Comments on towing with the passat? Its hard to get the euro hitch information here. I wonder about a custom hitch. If American Choppers can make what they do, a custom which should be easy as pie at $500.