Totaled car documents?

laur216

TDI
2012 Jetta
Hey all-

Long story short, totaled my car back in May, kept it as a salvage to get the insurance money as well as to retain ownership for the buyback.

I had to forfeit my original car title in order to get the salvage certificate from the DMV. I uploaded all my docs to the Claims portal, and they are telling me that the front of the title/salvage certificate is the incorrect document (although they approved the back of it?!)

I know there is a difference between a salvage certificate and a title, but in order to get a salvage title, I need to repair the car to workable state, which I am definitely not doing just to turn in the car.

I called into the claims hotline and the woman who answered told me to upload a copy of the ORIGINAL title to the claims portal, which seems a little odd to me. Thankfully, I do have a copy of the original title, but I still don't understand why that is needed.

Any advice or people in the same boat?! Thanks!!

Mollsmom

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
I got my email response today (documents accepted as complete on October 3) and they want me to mail in "Proof of Vehicle Acquisition."
I assume it is because my title is branded (Washington state salvage titles are branded "Built") Now I guess they want the dealer documents from 2009. At least I still have them.
I did upload the branded title and it was accepted. So maybe they want titles, not certificates. It will be interesting if all branded title folks are asked for proof of acquisition.

(in our state no inspection required if an owner asks for a salvage title on their own car - so I did not repair the car first. Insurance is required to report to the DMV if car totaled, but owner can then take over & get a new title)

Last edited:

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
I bought my car "rebuilt" and I just got an email requesting my "Proof of vehicle acquisition". I just bought the car in July, so I'm not even sure what they're asking for. I have a title, registration, both of them uploaded already. Any idea what this other document is?

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Wouldn't the title be all they needed. The settlement to my understanding specifically goes by the date the vehicle was titled salvage. If before Sept 15/18 (?) then does not qualify. If after it qualify's. Bill of sale just proves date of purchase which I don't see how that matters. What is gained by having that additional doc. Not arguing, just trying to understand, since I am in the same boat.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Wouldn't the title be all they needed.
No, because the exclusion for branded titles requires two things: (1) the title was branded on or before 9/18/15, and (2) the car was sold by a junkyard or salvage yard after 9/18/15. If either of those conditions is not true, and the car is otherwise eligible, it isn't excluded for the branded title.

Of course, the bill of sale only proves that I didn't buy the car from a junkyard or salvage yard after 9/18/15; it doesn't do anything to show that nobody else did.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
No, because the exclusion for branded titles requires two things: (1) the title was branded on or before 9/18/15, and (2) the car was sold by a junkyard or salvage yard after 9/18/15. If either of those conditions is not true, and the car is otherwise eligible, it isn't excluded for the branded title.

Of course, the bill of sale only proves that I didn't buy the car from a junkyard or salvage yard after 9/18/15; it doesn't do anything to show that nobody else did.
OK, that makes sense. Thanks Dan.

So if asked, my bill of sale from the car dealer on Feb 2016 will show I did not purchase from a junkyard. Along with the salvaged title date of Dec 15, then I should be good.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
OK, that makes sense. Thanks Dan.

So if asked, my bill of sale from the car dealer on Feb 2016 will show I did not purchase from a junkyard. Along with the salvaged title date of Dec 15, then I should be good.
You need to know when it was totaled, because the salvage title can be issued long after it was totaled. Were it totaled pre-9/15 and got fixed up in the next 2-3 months, you have a 12/15 salvage title, this could be a problem car. Do you know when the accident happened?

Where you got the car is irrelevant, it is where the car was on 9/15 that matters, that's what the definition of eligible vehicle states. You are the owner, no question, but you have to have an eligible vehicle first.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
You need to know when it was totaled, because the salvage title can be issued long after it was totaled. Were it totaled pre-9/15 and got fixed up in the next 2-3 months, you have a 12/15 salvage title, this could be a problem car. Do you know when the accident happened?

Where you got the car is irrelevant, it is where the car was on 9/15 that matters, that's what the definition of eligible vehicle states. You are the owner, no question, but you have to have an eligible vehicle first.
Yes I have the history on the vehicle, was totaled in Nov of 15

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Were it totaled pre-9/15 and got fixed up in the next 2-3 months, you have a 12/15 salvage title, this could be a problem car.
Why would that hypothetical be a problem car? If it didn't have a branded title on 9/18/15, this exclusion doesn't apply. If the car's otherwise eligible, the 12/15 salvage title wouldn't make any difference at all that I can see.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Why would that hypothetical be a problem car? If it didn't have a branded title on 9/18/15, this exclusion doesn't apply. If the car's otherwise eligible, the 12/15 salvage title wouldn't make any difference at all that I can see.
So Dan if I follow you then if a car has accident on Sept 1st. Insurance company calls it a total loss on the 14th of Sept, but is not titled as Salvage title until Sept 20th, then the buyer of that vehicle has a eligible vehicle under settlement.

Am I understanding your understanding of the settlement?

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
So a totaled car sitting on a junkyard, that doesn't have a branded title yet could in theory still be bought today, get the title branded now, and sell it back? That seems to be the exact situation that the operable definition was trying to prevent.

I don't know what a junkyard has to do with vehicles they hold, to they have to get a branded title on it, or can they just sit on the original title with a bill of sale?

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
So a totaled car sitting on a junkyard, that doesn't have a branded title yet could in theory still be bought today, get the title branded now, and sell it back? That seems to be the exact situation that the operable definition was trying to prevent.

I don't know what a junkyard has to do with vehicles they hold, to they have to get a branded title on it, or can they just sit on the original title with a bill of sale?
In NC once a car cost more then 25% of vehicles value to repair, it becomes a branded title. Doesn't mean it won't operate, or that you couldn't drive it under its own power.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
In NC once a car cost more then 25% of vehicles value to repair, it becomes a branded title. Doesn't mean it won't operate, or that you couldn't drive it under its own power.
Fortuately it's 75% of the value before it gets branded, otherwise, NC would have a large collection of branded titles.

True, bend the car, it's going to cost a lot to get it straightened out again, if ever. Nothing prevents a FWD car from pulling the back half along, even if the wheels point the wrong way, so operable in this case is pretty easy bar to meet.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Fortuately it's 75% of the value before it gets branded, otherwise, NC would have a large collection of branded titles.

True, bend the car, it's going to cost a lot to get it straightened out again, if ever. Nothing prevents a FWD car from pulling the back half along, even if the wheels point the wrong way, so operable in this case is pretty easy bar to meet.
You are right, numbers crossed. My son's car was considered a total loss last year. No frame or core damage. Bumper and hood needed to be replaced, and damage to roof and both front quarter panels. We drove it to the body shop to get an estimate for repair. We both where surprised when State Farm decided to total it.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
You are right, numbers crossed. My son's car was considered a total loss last year. No frame or core damage. Bumper and hood needed to be replaced, and damage to roof and both front quarter panels. We drove it to the body shop to get an estimate for repair. We both where surprised when State Farm decided to total it.
Was almost there, wife hit a deer in the 2003, hood, bumper, lights, nothing structural even, just 1 of the radiator brackets, fortunately no air bags went off. Was glad when they didn't total it out, but the body shop prices are insane now.

Mr20024

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Yeah I got the "proof of vehicle acquisition" email just now. I bought the car in February 2016, according to the Carfax, the dealer acquired it from USAA after a total loss in April 2015. Crazy thing is that I didn't know about this whole Dieselgate thing until after I acquired the car.

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Yeah I got the "proof of vehicle acquisition" email just now. I bought the car in February 2016
Strange that the title, which in california shows a "transfer date" and "issue date", isn't sufficient.

Bill of sale, even handwritten, is good enough for anyone? I know there's the official DMV "bill of sale", which seems more like just a tool to help buyer and seller lay out basic terms...not needed to complete sale.

Mr20024

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I just furnished the copy of the transferred title from the previous owner (dealership) and that sufficed. I got my offer letter today, got it notarized by my coworker 5min later, and uploaded it to the claims portal. I received an email 3min later stating that it was approved and was able to schedule my appointment for the end of Feb.

Jdtdi2

TDI
2011 JSW
Anyone on this thread successfully set an appointment? If so, what documents did you submit?

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I can beat this. We bought our JSW from my MIL right around the time that Dieselgate news broke (we'd verbally agreed to buy it from her before news broke, but didn't transfer the title over until after...mostly because she was still waiting for acquisition of her new vehicle). She had bought the car as a rebuilt salvage when it was about a year old.

The car had been parked at the St. Louis airport during a tornado. The only damage it suffered was a broken windshield and some very small and cosmetic paint chips -- not even worth touching-up, for the most part. The sort of thing anyone in the Upper Midwest might get from driving behind a salt/sand truck.

The car was totaled for this. We suspect the insurance adjusters simply went through and totaled every vehicle in the airport lot, rather than going through the hassle of assessing them one-by-one.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT

Dan, assuming (1) above is true (the car has a branded title on or before 9/18/15) are you sure that a sale (by a junkyard) BEFORE 9/18/15 would not disqualify the car? I thought there was some ambiguity on what date the junkyard sale disqualifies the car.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Per the settlement documents, sales by junkyards are disqualifying only if they happen after 9/18/15, for a car that had a branded title before that date.