TorquePro

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Been away from this thread for a while... I just figured out my boost problem. Device I'm using (Galaxy Tab 7.7) has no barometer!! That explains a few things, took me long enough to realize it. Gave up long ago...

Also, for some reason, using the basic formula in HPD's csv always gave me 14.7 as the "0" psi reading. I needed to offset that out. The regular offset field in the vehicle profile never seemed to affect anything. Tried some misguided offset calculations in the formula, never seemed to come out OK. I understand that too now... despite reading in PSI, all the internal reading and calcs are done in kpa, and everything has to be in those terms.

I found the address for the ECU's barometric pressure, which does exist in a 2010 CR TDI. It's 33 if I remember right, and in kpa so you don't have to add a correction to it like HPD did with the phone baro. I used that in the corrected formula earlier on in this thread. TADA... I now get reasonable numbers, no huge offsets plus or minus like before. :cool:

Just thought I'd pass that along, in case anyone else had similar issues.

Last edited:

Bigwhitebeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
So I've read through this thread a couple times and can't figure out my issue. Using HPD's csv file my boost gauge shows up when not connected to the car as a 0 to 26 psi gauge but when I start the car the gauge goes to 0 to 35 psi or so and is in psia because it reads near 14.7 when idling and goes to 35 34 when I step on it. How do I fix this and make it read normal? I have an HTC one M8 if that makes a difference. Thanks

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Did you edit the file to read the proper PID for the ambient pressure?

(((D*256)+E)/32)-([ff1270]*.1)

The variable [ff1270] is the barometric pressure reported by my android phone. I used my phone because it's one less piece of information that the car needs to report since those Bluetooth dongles can only read so much info at a time. Your phone might be different. Use torquescan to find out your variable. The ".1" is simply a conversion from mBars to kPa so that it can work in the equation.

I have an M8 as well and mine works perfectly, so it will read properly once you get the settings right.

Bigwhitebeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Did you edit the file to read the proper PID for the ambient pressure?

I have an M8 as well and mine works perfectly, so it will read properly once you get the settings right.
So ff1270 is barometric pressure on all phones? or at least these phones?

Last edited:

Bigwhitebeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Wow that was easy and it worked great, now this thing acts like a real boost pressure gauge. I was afraid I would mess up the PID if I just tried that number without knowing for sure. Thanks for the help and thanks to HPD for putting that file together.

Anyone got any other tricks associated with what our phones can read and send to torque pro or any other PID thingies?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
If you go to the Torque App start screen and tap on the icon labeled "Torque Scan" it will pull up all possible PIDS, both on your phone and your car, and show you which ones are actively sending info.

That's where you find that code for the pressure reading ;)

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Note: That "torque\extendedpids" folder might not already exist. I had to create that folder and then copy the vw.csv into that folder. Once that file is in that folder, it is fast and easy to import that VW set of gauges into TorquePro.

Have Fun!

Don
Even after I put the file in the extended pid folder, they don't come up.
I'll enter them manually.

Edit: after entering all the pids, found out I can download them.
But they still display in metric units. That'll be useless for me.
Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Yep, did all that.
But what I'm seeing is all the pids are equated for metric.
If I have to, I'll add in the function to convert it in the equation. Nothing a little math-fu can't fix.
Was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Yep, did all that.
But what I'm seeing is all the pids are equated for metric.
If I have to, I'll add in the function to convert it in the equation. Nothing a little math-fu can't fix.
Was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

If you are using Torque Scan or, if memory serves, viewing the PID in the gauge select screen, the values that are shown are what's reported by the ECU. The actual gauge you see should be converted to the standards you choose in the Torque settings.

If the gauges are not showing the correct conversion, then you need to take a closer look at your Torque settings. And if you are absolutely sure that they are correct, try clearing the data for the Torque app and start over.

And be careful when editing the CSV file. Normal text editors don't handle certain values, mainly temperatures, very well and Excel has trouble saving the file properly. I used a macro in excel to create the file.

Last edited:

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
:doh It fixed itself when I plugged it in. Lol
Now I'm trying to get the boost reading right. At idle is showing 14.X I tried the settings for automatically subtracting 14.7. Made no difference.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
:doh It fixed itself when I plugged it in. Lol
Now I'm trying to get the boost reading right. At idle is showing 14.X I tried the settings for automatically subtracting 14.7. Made no difference.

You need to find your variable for barometric pressure (Torque Scan) and subtract it in the equation. Make sure you convert it to kPa within the equation or it's not going to work.

Bigwhitebeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I have the $5 version of Torque Pro and the Torque Scan was not an icon that I had, it was a separate program that I had to download but it made it automatically part of the original program.

12ax7

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed
Dear Mr Hotpocketdeath

Mr Hotpocketdeath,

I was hoping you might help me. I've tried tweaking your VW.csv and no matter what I try I cannot get your boost gauge to read just the boost. It always reads [I think] atmospheric pressure[14.7psi] + boost pressure. So at idle it is 14.7ish.

I tried adjusting the boost formula to:

(((D*256)+E)/32)-([33]*0.1) ...this made a small change. [33] is the car's reading of barometric pressure I think. I got the [33] from Torque Scan

(((D*256)+E)/32)-([ff1270]*0.1)...I don't think my devices barometric measurements are being seen by the Torque App

My two android devices are a ZTE Z830 phone and a Nexus7 2013 tablet. They both behave the same way.

Thanks so much for your great work on the forum.

12ax7

Last edited:

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Mr Hotpocketdeath,

I was hoping you might help me. I've tried tweaking your VW.csv and no matter what I try I cannot get your boost gauge to read just the boost. It always reads [I think] atmospheric pressure[14.7psi] + boost pressure. So at idle it is 14.7ish.

I tried adjusting the boost formula to:

(((D*256)+E)/32)-([33]*0.1) ...this made a small change. [33] is the car's reading of barometric pressure I think. I got the [33] from Torque Scan

(((D*256)+E)/32)-([ff1270]*0.1)...I don't think my devices barometric measurements are being seen by the Torque App

My two android devices are a ZTE Z830 phone and a Nexus7 2013 tablet. They both behave the same way.

Thanks so much for your great work on the forum.

12ax7
Yes, the raw data coming from the sensor is absolute manifold pressure, which is atmosphere + boost.

And [33] is the variable I also use for my tablet, since it doesn't have a barometric sensor. You have to pay attention to the units that the sensor reads at. My phone reads in Millibars, so I have to convert it to kPa in order for it to work in the formula. Which is why the *0.1 is needed in the example formula.

Since you are reading barometric pressure from the car, there is no need to convert it. Pretty much all pressure sensors in the car report in kPa. So all you have to do is subtract [33] from the formula.

IE, (((D*256)+E)/32)-[33]

That's all.

Edit: Oh, and I don't recommend editing the csv directly. Had a few people come to me asking why it wasn't working after they did a bit of editing and ended up messing up some things. I recommend simply loading it first, and then editing the formula from the "Manage Custom PIDs" screen within torque. You'll also want to edit the formula before adding the guage to your workspace. If you've already made a gauge, and then edit the formula, you need to delete the gauge and place a new on in. I found that gauges only use the formulas that are in place at the time of their creation. Maybe that's changed since I was learning all this, but might as well be safe.

Last edited:

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
Ok, this is driving me crazy. I have torque installed on the phone, the app is listed as being installed on the phone and not the card. I see a folder for torqueLogs but for the life of me, I don't see where the app is actually installed. I did a search on the entire folder structure and search isn't even finding anything other than the logs folder. Am I going crazy or is Torque installed somewhere other than a folder a called Torque?

Night Blue 15 Passat

TDI
2015 Passat TDI DSG SEL
Ok, this is driving me crazy. I have torque installed on the phone, the app is listed as being installed on the phone and not the card. I see a folder for torqueLogs but for the life of me, I don't see where the app is actually installed. I did a search on the entire folder structure and search isn't even finding anything other than the logs folder. Am I going crazy or is Torque installed somewhere other than a folder a called Torque?
.Torque (dot-torque) is an android system folder and is probably hidden from you. Try setting your file manager to show hidden files.

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
Still not seeing it. I have hidden files and system files unhidden and still not showing up. Can someone give me the actual path?

Night Blue 15 Passat

TDI
2015 Passat TDI DSG SEL
Still not seeing it. I have hidden files and system files unhidden and still not showing up. Can someone give me the actual path?
Oh, are you accessing the phone using a Windows PC? If so, I don't think you'll see any of the "." prefixed folders. Try copying the VW.csv file to some other folder that you can see, like downloads, then on your phone open a file manager (I just use the MyFiles app that's preloaded on my phone) and look there, again you'll have to show hidden files, but you should then see many "." prefixed folders. Then go to the downloads folder and copy VW.csv and then paste it into storage/device storage/.torque/extendedpids/.

I hope this helps.

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
I want to thank you Night, that was the trick. I ended up using the MyFiles also as I couldnt find a setting to show hidden files with ESfileExplorer for some reason.
Now to start adding new screens, lol.

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Hello, i have some issues reading the EGT on my 2010 seat leon FR TDI (identical to 2010 golf GTD) common rail engine
I connected with VCDS today on 99 and it reads the PRE TURBO EGT
Can anyone give me a hand in how to solve this problem?
I have added the custom VW files in PID
Thanks!

kashtyaatsi

TDI
2011 Golf
I know this thread is super old but just wanted to give a thanks to HPD! Boost is much more responsive. Also a heads up for anyone changing the boost equation. It wouldn't not work for me when I put my barometric pressure in parentheses. Remove the parentheses and it works fine. Ie: (((D*256)+E)/32)-82