TOP SPEED 72 MPH???

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
No. The snow screen is at the end of the snorkel that brings air into the airbox from the outside. It's behind the grill.

I believe the Beetle snorkel is the one on the lower left.

NavyTDI2000

TDI
2000 New Beetle 1.9L
One side of the MAF has a silicone sealant / rubberized strip of some kind- the one I just cleaned is deteriorating. Replace it or is it fine?

MAF Sensor pic

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The NB's snow screen is the big elongated box/tube thing, up under the fender liner, you have to essentially break apart the assembly to get to it. It is about 8-10 times the size of the one the G/J used. It takes a lot to clog one up to the point it becomes a problem. I've cut apart about 50 of them over the years, never saw one that was more than 50% clogged up.

But if you do remove the snow screen, and you live in an area where driving cold (blizzard) snow conditions could happen, you should run the "cold weather" air filter element that all the later cars (the ones that were not equipped with snow screens) already come with.

That's likely not your problem.

NavyTDI2000

TDI
2000 New Beetle 1.9L
Quick update.
Thank you to all who have had suggestions for me!
Today I received the last tool I needed to begin using VCDS. A couple of codes popped in the AutoScan:

Engine- 17978 - Engine start blocked by immobilizer (P1570 - 35-00 ),
Airbags- 00532 Supply Voltage B+ (07-10- Signal too Low - Intermittent),
Instruments- 01316 - ABS Control Module (49-10- No communications- intermittent)
Central Conv.- (3) faults:
--00932- electric window motor driver's side (62-10 -N or incorrect adjustment)
2 codes for heated mirrors (don't care about these)

Radio- 00853 - Loudspeaker(s); rear (36-10 Open Circuit- Intermittent)

Lastly, I cleaned the MAF sensor and housing- it's squeaky clean. Not much of a performance change, but a little bit of one, I think....maybe me being hopeful. Snow filter not checked yet. Will do that this weekend, then move forward.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Sorry it's been a while since we had the TDI NB. Google 'snow screen tdi' and click on images. If I'm remembering right the screen is further upstream than the air filter, and down low. The mesh is very fine, much finer than window screen.

Ours was half blocked with bugs and debris when I learned of it (about 20k miles into ownership) and cut it out. Good luck, John

NavyTDI2000

TDI
2000 New Beetle 1.9L
...Google 'snow screen tdi' and click on images. If I'm remembering right the screen is further upstream than the air filter, and down low. The mesh is very fine, much finer than window screen.
....Good luck, John
Thank you jjblbi! Found a thread by compu_85 which was MONEY! Best explanation I have found describing this. I know you all are well past this, but if someone finds this thread, here's a link to the info: How to Clean Snow Screen tutorial

NavyTDI2000

TDI
2000 New Beetle 1.9L
...which, as I've stated, has ZERO to do with the NB's snow screen.

*sigh*
Point taken, Oil - and I agree in principle.
I'm just eliminating things from A to Z. We sometimes have NASTY Love Bugs seasons down here in FL... and I suspect the original owner* never had it checked, so I'm in!

*Orig owner was fastidious. This just isn't in any maintenance procedure I've seen...

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Two pics of the MAF assembly. Is this the snow screen you guys have mentioned?

I've just cleaned the MAF sensor in alcohol and the assembly, separately. Both are drying out now.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/inside-screen-on-maf-jpg.158397/
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/outside-screen-on-maf-jpg.158396/
No, that isn't the snowscreen. The snowscreen (on models that have it) resides in the air intake duct upstream of the air filter (the MAF is downstream). In my Jetta, it's in the small air tube part that runs between the battery and the inner fender and there's a 10mm nut that you have to remove in order to be able to pull it out. Presumably the Beetle is similarly set up in terms of intake tract.

Once you have it in your hands, you'll find that duct is actually two pieces, held together by two small screws. Pull those, and you get easy access to the snowscreen (assuming a previous owner hasn't already cut it out). Just "behind" the screen (toward the airbox side), there's a little spring-loaded door that opens into the duct. The idea is that if you're driving in a blizzard or similar conditions, the snowscreen keeps the snow/bugs/debris from reaching the air filter; if that clogs up enough to impede the engine's ability to breathe, the vacuum pressure from the engine trying to suck in air overcomes the spring and pulls that little door open, bypassing the snowscreen with warm air from the engine bay to keep you going.

In 2003 VW did away with the snowscreen and switched to an air filter that had a foam layer on the underside to get the same effect.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
No, that isn't the snowscreen. The snowscreen (on models that have it) resides in the air intake duct upstream of the air filter (the MAF is downstream). In my Jetta, it's in the small air tube part that runs between the battery and the inner fender and there's a 10mm nut that you have to remove in order to be able to pull it out. Presumably the Beetle is similarly set up in terms of intake tract.

Once you have it in your hands, you'll find that duct is actually two pieces, held together by two small screws. Pull those, and you get easy access to the snowscreen (assuming a previous owner hasn't already cut it out). Just "behind" the screen (toward the airbox side), there's a little spring-loaded door that opens into the duct. The idea is that if you're driving in a blizzard or similar conditions, the snowscreen keeps the snow/bugs/debris from reaching the air filter; if that clogs up enough to impede the engine's ability to breathe, the vacuum pressure from the engine trying to suck in air overcomes the spring and pulls that little door open, bypassing the snowscreen with warm air from the engine bay to keep you going.

In 2003 VW did away with the snowscreen and switched to an air filter that had a foam layer on the underside to get the same effect.
Well, @oilhammer has already said in post #35, the beetle snow screen is different than golf/jetta, and likely not the issue.

NavyTDI2000

TDI
2000 New Beetle 1.9L
Update- this has taken some time for a variety of reasons, but thank you to all who contributed!
No. The snow screen is at the end of the snorkel that brings air into the airbox from the outside. It's behind the grill.

I believe the Beetle snorkel is the one on the lower left.
Yes, that is where the snow screen is for my 2000 TDI (see parts 31, 18, etc....that area). Mine was mostly clean- just as Oilhammer (below) stated- not my problem. I did learn how it all goes together and I cleaned every component inside and out.

The NB's snow screen is the big elongated box/tube thing, up under the fender liner [...]
That's likely not your problem.
Well, Fuel filter and Intake manifold are way before Snow screen alphabetically... 😂
Fuel Injector cleanout is my next endeavorl