Top 10 Secrets that VW would just as soon keep quiet about until you own the car

Eugene TDI Driver

TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
Secret Keep-It-On-The-Downlow-Until-They-Own-The-Car Number 10: Your TDI engine absolutely REQUIRES the use of a special synthetic engine oil that meets VW specification 507.00. Get a quart of the correct oil from your dealer when you take delivery of the car and keep it stashed in the car in case you need to top off the oil level prior to a scheduled oil change.

Last edited:

Eugene TDI Driver

TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
So you're saying nobody new ever visits these forums and won't appreciate a single concise list of these issues? You could spend hours or days sifting through thousands of threads to find some of this information.

Moderators, if everyone is going to go all sarcastic and know-it-all on these threads I started, PLEASE delete them. Thank you.

Eugene TDI Driver

TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
I *severely* misundercalculated when I started these threads where I hoped knowledgeable TDI owners could have a little fun sharing tidbits of cool or important info with TDI newbies. Clearly I've offended people and for that I'm sorry. Lesson learned: Don't try to have any fun on this board.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
I'm not offended, but this thread is not funny to me either.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
We're not laughing

(^^ the #1 surprise for new VW owners ^^)

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
Almost all dealerships and customer service personnel will deny that they ever heard of the TDICLUB web site.
If any reply that they may have heard about it, none will say that they ever personally looked at it.
Their competence working on TDIs verifies this to be true.

75r90rider

Veteran Member
TDI
quite a few diesels over the years
Secret Keep-It-On-The-Downlow-Until-They-Own-The-Car Number 10: Your TDI engine absolutely REQUIRES the use of a special synthetic engine oil that meets VW specification 507.00. Get a quart of the correct oil from your dealer when you take delivery of the car and keep it stashed in the car in case you need to top off the oil level prior to a scheduled oil change.
I used to sell VWs and sold lots of TDIs. It was common practice at our store among the sales staff to tell people about the idiosyncracies of owning a TDI pre-purchase. Then, if they eventually bought one, during the delivery of the car, one of the last things I did was show the owner around under the hood and point out, for instance where to check your oil. At this time, again I would emphasize that the car needed special oil, etc. I also typically put a little colored tab on the page of the owners manual dealing with this, so they could find it easily in the future.

I bought a fair number of my clients small VW related gifts, too. With the TDI people, I almost always bought them a liter of oil and put it in the trunk, and pointed out to them that it was there.

Now, don't get me wrong. I could easily, drawing on my dealer experience, come up with a top ten list. But considering that the oil information is right there in the manual, and at both stores I worked at we made it plain as day for people, oil would not be on my list.

Yeah, I've found that the board can be a little, shall we say, serious at times. But, we are up for some fun too, you just have to say something funny to get us started.

For instance, one of my top ten things VW did not tell you, at least when I worked there 5 years ago, was that not only was your driver's window one touch down, but it had a secret high speed express down feature that would randomly activate after about a year. Another would be that the first New Beetle Convertibles off the line had a special feature where, in addition to the top being either closed or open, there was a halfway mode that would channel a cooling breeze directly into the passenger compartment. Of course I'm referring to the window regulator issues where the glass would one day just drop into the door, and the huge number of NBC convertible tops that failed halfway raised in the early cars due to a bad microswitch. Customers really loved that one, especially when parts were on galactic backorder. Fortunately, you can release the mechanism and operate the top manually, but people for some reason were still not real excited about it. ;)

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
If the dealer would've thrown in a bottle of oil where I bought the car, it would've been the wrong oil. :p

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
dont take it personally, i have nothing against your thread, please do keep it up.
what might seem like old news to most of us, would be news to someone else, that was my way of being funny :)

DWalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Almost all dealerships and customer service personnel will deny that they ever heard of the TDICLUB web site.
If any reply that they may have heard about it, none will say that they ever personally looked at it.
Their competence working on TDIs verifies this to be true.
Not being biased one way or the other, but the dealer that I purchased from automatically signed me up for a bunch of TDI and Volkswagen websites with the email address they had on file. This included TDIcub and Vortex. Also, the service guy that took me to test drive my TDI told me about the "proprietary" oil they use in the TDI before I bought. Of course, he was trying to keep me from being a DIYer and to use his service department. All from the VW dealer with the worst reputation in Atlanta (but gave me the best price).
These forums can be rather cumbersome to look through for a newbie, even the "sticky" threads. However, visiting the site a few times a week and bookmarking threads one can get the information they need.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
That the CBEA motor had a chain for the T/B:eek: but it has a belt.

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
Secret Keep-It-On-The-Downlow-Until-They-Own-The-Car Number 9: TDIClub. It would be a rare dealer who points a potential buyer to this site for information about the car before the deal is sealed.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
How is this a secret? It's written in the owner's manual. It's printed on the oil cap. VWs of all types of engines have required special oil: 502, 503, 505.00, 505.01, 506.....it's nothing new.

Other manufacturers require a specific oil:

MB - 229.31, 229.51
BMW - LL01, LL98, LL04

Maybe it's a German thing.

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
How is this a secret? It's written in the owner's manual. It's printed on the oil cap. VWs of all types of engines have required special oil: 502, 503, 505.00, 505.01, 506.....it's nothing new.

Other manufacturers require a specific oil:

MB - 229.31, 229.51
BMW - LL01, LL98, LL04

Maybe it's a German thing.
It would be new to a prospective buyer unfamiliar with VWs and without access to the manual. Many new buyers are coming from the gasser world of Toyotas and Fords. Put yourself in the position of a typical new buyer, not a typical TDIClub member, and I think you'll have a better appreciation of what the OP is trying to do. Most new buyers know nothing about these cars unless they look past the showroom floor and consult TDIClub, myturbodiesel.com, or Vortex. Some will still buy and some will run screaming for the exits.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
It would be new to a prospective buyer unfamiliar with VWs and without access to the manual. Many new buyers are coming from the gasser world of Toyotas and Fords. Put yourself in the position of a typical new buyer, not a typical TDIClub member, and I think you'll have a better appreciation of what the OP is trying to do. Most new buyers know nothing about these cars unless they look past the showroom floor and consult TDIClub, myturbodiesel.com, or Vortex. Some will still buy and some will run screaming for the exits.
OK, valid point. But pretty much all manufacturers now require synthetic but allow a longer drain interval.

If I were to jump the VW ship and buy anything else--Ford, Subaru, Suzuki--before the first oil change I would open the owner's manual to find out what the oil recommendation is. I wouldn't assume 5w30. It's not rocket science. Some cars take 5w30, some take 5w20, others take 20w50. The only way to know what is correct is to READ the manual.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
FWIW, I used to get the oil and glow plug changed for my '02 TDI Beetle at a Sears across the street from the dealer for half the price and they would use the same oil and parts. Just a thought.
"...not only was your driver's window one touch down, but it had a secret high speed express down feature that would randomly activate after about a year."

-- 75r90rider
Is this the same thing as the bug where the window would suddenly go halfway down and stop while on the way auto-up and then the button would have to be manually held in the 'up' position to get the window back up?

I had a couple people at the dealership deny knowledge of this problem, but finally one of the techs fessed up that it was a known issue for just about all VWs and there was no fix. Honesty is refreshing if nothing else.

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
How's this? Although you'll get more MPG, you'll consume more fuel, as once you have possession of your TDI, you'll be driving twice as many miles as you ever did before.

At least that's been my experience!

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
Secret Keep-It-On-The-Downlow-Until-They-Own-The-Car Number 9: TDIClub. It would be a rare dealer who points a potential buyer to this site for information about the car before the deal is sealed.
Actually, it was because of TDIClub that I bought my new 2004. I was lurking here for several months, hearing all kinds of loose (and funny) talk. That convinced me.

Speaking of the Club, during one of its rare down-times, I panicked and Googled it. Came upon some website rating agency's evaluation. Seems like TDIClub appeals to affluent, middle aged men with technical backgrounds, specifically mechanics and engineers. Hey, they said it!

sabtastic

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
How's this? Although you'll get more MPG, you'll consume more fuel, as once you have possession of your TDI, you'll be driving twice as many miles as you ever did before.

At least that's been my experience!
This has been my experience as well. Never spent as much on fuel as I did after I bought my TDI, even though my MPG average is 10 higher!!

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Based on what I read, the big difference for 507 was that is was specifically formulated to not hurt the DPF.

Eugene TDI Driver

TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
Now that the thread has evolved on its own, I just want to say that my point in starting the thread(s) was not that I have any top secret info to share here or that I know anything at all that isn't well-known to most of the regulars here. Everything I know about my TDI I got either from the VW owner manual or from this board. I wouldn't know squat otherwise. Because of this board I've improved the shifter and the bluetooth system in my car.

In Perfect World every new TDI owner would read their manual. And the dealer would educate the buyer about TDI idiosyncracies like needing "special" synthetic oil. Neither of those things happens in a lot of cases. If one of those uninformed owners is helped by an eye-catching "Top 10 Things You Don't Know" thread then we have helped someone who might otherwise not have the time or inclination to sift through all the lengthy threads here. That's all I wanted to do with these threads.

-dave