To Rebadge or Not???

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

When my car was being painted, I decided to get new badges for the trunk lid. They didn't come in before I picked up my car. So I'm currently running without. Funny thing is that washing and drying the car is so much smoother without them. I know it's minor, but I actually NOTICED how much easier it was. Besides, I like the clean look. Perhaps for car shows that "require" badges to compete as stock, I'll make the new badges magnet-mounted so I can put them on just for the show?
Still, I normally show with the trunk open. Who'd notice?

I feel the need to proudly display my TDI badge. But I also have a prominent TDIClub.com sticker in my center brake light.

Ah, decisions... decisions...

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I just have to say it sounds quite ironic that someone who makes piles of stickers and other logoed items likes his car being debadged!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Stealth, I hope the car is looking great. The badge issue is really a very personal decision...

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Magnetic backed badges? TDICLUB.com sticker in the third brake lamp? Scott, Where do you get these ideas?
Don't open the trunk completely, just enough so that the judges can see in and yet still check the condition of the paint on top. Propping up the trunk carpet just enough to also peek into the spare tire well could make the difference between "almost" and "Best in Show".
I've added one permanently mounted badge to mine. I like the way the A4 model name and designation are the same size and font so I made a custom trunk lid mounted "tdi" that exactly matches the font and size of the B4 "Passat". It replaced the small block letter "TDI" that originally was there.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Jon,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan Bartlett:
Magnetic backed badges? TDICLUB.com sticker in the third brake lamp? Scott, Where do you get these ideas?
Don't open the trunk completely, just enough so that the judges can see in and yet still check the condition of the paint on top. Propping up the trunk carpet just enough to also peek into the spare tire well could make the difference between "almost" and "Best in Show".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too funny! I like the "ironic" statement above, too!

Excellent advice from someone I know can show a car. I'll keep that in mind when I enter my first show in CA. I went with the "Still in the Dealer's Showroom" look when I entered my first show. Without knowing that I had won, I asked a judge how I could improve my showing. He said to layout out my emergency equipment instead of packing it in a box for the show. Apparently, judges in TX seem to like the "Emergency" look.

These days I add my Bentley Manual and a few photos to the collection. I wonder what they like in CA?

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Stealth TDI ]

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
This is how it looks with the magnetic "Passat" added. I usually have just the "tdi" on. Technically it is OEM and stock, just not as it came from the factory.

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Jonathan Bartlett ]