To much boost?

SCCAONE

Veteran Member
TDI
03/GOLF
How should boost act?
Full throttle any gear or using cruse control boost goes to 24psi back to 10psi back to 14 or 15psi in all gears. Using part throttle I can hold boost to 18psi from 2000rpm all the way to 4200rpm (by modulating the throttle) kinda distracting in the mountains.
03 Golf, Sprint 520 injectors, 97K on the motor and RocketChip coding.
I’ve done all the usual thing, N75, fuel filter air cleaner and no change.

4lowdubs

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 mk4
It's called a "boost spike", search that topic and you'll find everything you need to know;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you don't have a boost valve the spikes are going to happen. Occasional spikes to 24 aren't fatal, as most boost gauges read a bit high, but you should get a valve in to control them to ensure your turbo's long term survival. And seeing 18 PSI climing into the mountains is fine.

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
SCCAONE said:
How should boost act?
Full throttle any gear or using cruse control boost goes to 24psi back to 10psi back to 14 or 15psi in all gears. Using part throttle I can hold boost to 18psi from 2000rpm all the way to 4200rpm (by modulating the throttle) kinda distracting in the mountains.
03 Golf, Sprint 520 injectors, 97K on the motor and RocketChip coding.
I’ve done all the usual thing, N75, fuel filter air cleaner and no change.
What about your vnt actuator, or turbo vanes? If the vanes are sticking at all, or the rod isn't moving freely (rusted), the vacuum actuation could be lagging, and then overshooting. If your tune is supposed to be around 16-17psi (RC1?) and you're spiking to 24, something might be wrong. Of course you'll have boost spikes, but I don't think they should be that high. True, your gauge could be reading a bit high... Some logs with vag-com would give you a better idea of whats going on. See if an italian tune-up changes it at all, i had the same thing happening with my old turbo and driving it hot for a while seemed to help. Something to try anyway...

Last edited:

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
vaccume leak can cause overshoot and undershoot. check plastic pipe feeding brake booster, these crack often.

frank p

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
ive been getiing spikes on my car and alsowas recommeded i put a boost valve in. are these similar to a blow off valve on gas turbos?? im not to familiar with the part

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
I found there is no way to really set the boost valve without affecting sustained boost. It'll cut off the boost spikes but it also cuts in to your sustained boost however much you try to tune it. This is because the boost controller is mechanical or vacuum/air pressure driven. I think that kind of precision will require an electrical solution via a sensor. I'm thinking the map sensor could be used to trigger the boost valve that might work better. Such a thing probably already exists in some form - the N75 type of thing.

Last edited:

KROUT

persona non grata
If you set the boost valve to 20psi it wont affect sustained boost except over 20psi. It will cut the spikes without affecting the power.