To 2013 or not to 2013?

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
Some of you may remember my dealer tried to sell me a 2012 recently, but they would not take my deal. Well the salesman called me up today and said he thinks he can get me in a 2013 premium with nav for the deal we discussed last time. I am going to play the game again with him Friday morning while my 50K service is being performed.

My concern is, right now I have a 6M trans and have been pulling some great mileage. The new one is a DSG, I wonder if I'll be able to pull the great mileage from it. The 2012 I test drove was turning considerably higher RPM's at 65 mph then my car does.

The other concern is, I have had the cold weather CAC upgrade done to mine by the dealer. Not that I have all that much cold weather here in SC, but I was having hard starts and even a stumble after starting once after a very rainy few days. The new CAC and associated hardware has totally fixed those issues. From the reading I did tonight, we are unsure if VW has put a fix in place for watery CACs yet from the factory.

Other then those two things, what's not to like about a 2 year newer car with more options? :)

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
I'll be curious to know what they offer for yours. In our market, Texas, these cars are NOT holding their values at all. My wife got $7K for her subaru that was a year older then I was offered on my tdi.

opticalmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta tdi highline nav
The DSG cars have less range than the 6m due to a higher final gear ratio. The higher rpms at 65 mph cost $$ at the pump.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
The DSG cars have less range than the 6m due to a higher final gear ratio. The higher rpms at 65 mph cost $$ at the pump.
This. If you do a lot of highway miles then your fuel economy will take a small hit with the DSG.

If you were successfully able to get the dealer to install the new intercooler on your 2011 then I would request the same to be done before getting into a 2013. Personally, I haven't had any issues with the stock intercooler and we hover around freezing for most of the fall and spring.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Not sure why you'd want to get rid of a 2011, but if you want a 2013, you may want to wait for the second half of the year when they'll be adding back some nice touches.

FormerGasser

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I'd be more concerned about the pricey service with the DSG. Even if you do it yourself, the needed parts/fluid cost a pretty penny.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
The DSG economy and service costs are a concern, but if I can maintain >40 mpg average ill be ok. I was unaware that upgrades were on the way for the interior. I'm ok with my current interior, though a full MFD and some gauges would be nice.....

I am skeptical that they will get me in the 2013 anyway, since we ran this drill about a month or two ago with a 2012 and they couldn't get there because they were only offering me bottom trade in value for my car(15k). I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow after I leave the dealer.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
I test drove the car and liked it a bunch. Yet again they wasted my time. They could not make the deal they said they could over the phone. Oh well my 2011 marches happily along! :)