Tired of waiting for the GTD.. Looking at a GTI w/ Performance package

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
After years of being kock teased by all the sexy TDI that VW has in Europe and promises of the GTD coming to America which can never materialize... I think I am finally being cured of my love for TDI's and started looking at the new 2015 GTI w/ the Performance Package ..

Am thinking of a 2 door S model 6 speed with the Performance package, lighting packing and the driver assistance package which is like an adjustable suspension which can adjust for the track or driving daily driving.. or everything in between ... a track ready performance car that can also daily drive and look amazing at the same time... and not break every time I push it hard... That I can own without spending every evening and weekend working under my car and spending all the money I have buying turbos, pistons, rods, W/M, injectors, tune and all the other BS I bought over the years for my TDIs trying to turn into a more performance car....

Ummmm am I getting smarter or going to the dark side? :D

New 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI w/ the Performance Package

"..... the available Performance package, which provides 220 horsepower, larger brakes, and an electronically controlled limited-slip differential, which optimizes handling based on multiple dynamic parameters."

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
I love diesel engines and my CR with 200bhp moves nicely. However our fuel prices in Europe is a tax rip off. USA fuel is actually half the price than it is in Ireland so diesels are more practical and with my mileage i have no other option to have one. But because your fuel in the USA is so cheap i'm not sure why anyone would go for a GTD over this machine....

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
If I converted to the darkside it would have to be an R model. Golf R or R32.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
If I converted to the darkside it would have to be an R model. Golf R or R32.
The R32 isn't really worth it. I know guys go gaga over it, but other than a wonderful sound, it's actually not all that quick and it's quite heavy.

My dealer has already called me about the 16 Golf R - that looks neat, but I doubt i'll upgrade it it - the GTI is a great car to drive everyday and I don't really feel that it's lacking (except for the bassless sounds system)

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I'm not sure how common it is, but I've seen some threads on other forums about the mk7 GTIs blowing up their turbos more often than you'd expect. These are stock cars, not tuned. VW is fixing it under warranty but it still sucks to be without your brand new car while they deal with it.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, it looks like an awesome machine. Personally I'd wait till the 1st model year woes get worked out before buying if its an option.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
R32's are a bit slow

Yeah
The R32 isn't really worth it. I know guys go gaga over it, but other than a wonderful sound, it's actually not all that quick and it's quite heavy.

My dealer has already called me about the 16 Golf R - that looks neat, but I doubt i'll upgrade it it - the GTI is a great car to drive everyday and I don't really feel that it's lacking (except for the bassless sounds system)
I agree, sound and awd are the draw....fwiw, a few tuned R's have tried to keep up with me, were miserably unsuccessful and used atleast 2x the fuel!

The new Gti's, even with hit and miss turbo issues are soooo nice tho!

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Takes a lot of repairs and go-fast parts to equate to the cost of a new car. It's up to you, but I kind of like driving old cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If I was certain I was going to do more track days I'd consider trading my '12 Golf TDI for a GTI. The Performance Package is a big plus, especially the LSD. I like the R, but it's a lot of money.

However, I'm on the fence about spending my summer days standing around a hot pit area waiting for my session. So I will probably stick with TDIs, focusing on, as BlankThis writes, older ones. Just bought a '99.5 that needs some love, so that comes first.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I love diesel engines and my CR with 200bhp moves nicely. However our fuel prices in Europe is a tax rip off. USA fuel is actually half the price than it is in Ireland so diesels are more practical and with my mileage i have no other option to have one. But because your fuel in the USA is so cheap i'm not sure why anyone would go for a GTD over this machine....
This is exactly how I feel on that topic.The words Fast and Diesel make no sense currently in North America.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I was certain I was going to do more track days I'd consider trading my '12 Golf TDI for a GTI. The Performance Package is a big plus, especially the LSD. I like the R, but it's a lot of money.

However, I'm on the fence about spending my summer days standing around a hot pit area waiting for my session. So I will probably stick with TDIs, focusing on, as BlankThis writes, older ones. Just bought a '99.5 that needs some love, so that comes first.
I hear what you are saying Peter... have stayed out of it for a couple years now but an really missing it... maybe do only one per month or so in the summer.. also I do not have far to go.. 3 great tacks within one hour from where I live.. .Laguna Seca, Thunder hill & Sears Point....

Also am kind of looking forward to driving a newer car.. that I can step on it and not afraid something else will break...

Also looking forward to not spending my every evenings and weekends under my car fixings or upgrading $hit ... i have always asked myself .. If I wanted a sport car, why did I not buy a sport car... Instead I bought economy cars and spent the last 10 years trying to make them into sport cars.. I think I am coming to the realization that until the GTD comes out and I can have the best of both worlds, it may be better to actually buy a sport car rather than trying to turn my economy cars into one... I can paint stripes on a horse but it will never be a zebra :)

Takes a lot of repairs and go-fast parts to equate to the cost of a new car. It's up to you, but I kind of like driving old cars.
this was the philosophy I prescribed to also most of my life... However, I may gave gove over the top or have just had a lot of bad luck with my Golf which I developed for the track... However when I analyze all the money I spent over the years for my Golf to make it go fast or make it look more sporty... between the LSD's to the 6 speeds, to the multiple engine changes, multiple piston changes, multiple head changes, turbo changes, FMIC, W/m etc etc... I have spent well in excess in parts only of the cost of a new GTI ... which is not only new, already fast but looks great and has all of the sports features I would need to add to a TDI... some of which I cannot even add if I wanted to .. .like the driver assist package...

The only rethink I have now is the fact that the particular model S with the options I want are in very very high demand and very low supply so the stealer are playing the supply/demand and asking in some cases well in excess of MSRP...

I may need to let things cool a little and consider factory order one if I can get a dealer to work with me a reasonable markup...

Am talking to a couple on the East Coast who are much more reasonable that here in SF Bay Area

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just keep in mind that if you buy a new car for the track you have to be prepared to either write it off if you wreck it during an event, or buy track day insurance at $150-$250/day. My belief is that whatever you take to the track you should be able to afford to walk away from with no insurance payment. Hard to swallow with a new car.

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Aside from the GTD what are the most sport focused TDI's from VW/Audi in the US?

Seems odd as for years in the UK we have had the PD 150's etc...

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
We don't have sport focused TDIs in the US.

*edit*
I take that back, we had the TDI Cup edition that was sport focused. :swoon:

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Aside from the GTD what are the most sport focused TDI's from VW/Audi in the US?
Seems odd as for years in the UK we have had the PD 150's etc...

Ha Ha Ha all we have here are TDI cars for economy driving, families and grandmas

Two doors and six speeds are rare to find

No pd150. No GTD. no all wheel drive TDI. No diesel pick ups

Every boring, dog$hig, plain Jane, sedan, low performance TDI car VW make we get here in the US

Every performance TDI model stays in Europe

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Ha Ha Ha all we have here are TDI cars for economy driving, families and grandmas
Two doors and six speeds are rare to find
No pd150. No GTD. no all wheel drive TDI. No diesel pick ups
Every boring, dog$hig, plain Jane, sedan, low performance TDI car VW make we get here in the US
Every performance TDI model stays in Europe
I get the business rationale in the "one size fits all" approach from the engines, but I would of thought by this point in time there would be more choice.

I knew this was the case 8 years ago when I tuned an AFN Tdi but I thought the market would of evolved.

I guess the idea of the odd person exporting the the states wouldn't really work either due to support for parts.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I fully understand buying a GTI. I have watched for decades as VW makes fantastic cars for the Euro market and tells North America to just suck it up and take the bottom of the barrel or stale-dated offerings. To be fair, the US regulatory environment contributes very strongly to that end result (I personally find it to be more protectionist than safety or environmentally directed). So, if you want some performance and some diesel, you either buy old (we can import 15 years and back into Canada), modify or go without.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The US environmental regulation are the regulations... Not worst here than in EU... different but not worst... I really think that VWOA and VW of Deutchland have ability to meet the regs by some slight design modifications and some submittals IF THEY CHOSE .... they just don't want to mostly because they think we are not ready for those cars... They think all we would buy are four door grey boring and slow TDI sedans...

I believe they are very shortsighted and they would sell a boatload more cars of they invested to make these cars legal in the US and Canada

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Mind you, you can get an Audi A6, A7, or A8 3.0 TDI Quattro in the US.

The GTD not coming here is VW deciding that we Americans won't accept a car that doesn't come with a spare tire. (Why? The urea system mandates either the twist beam suspension (which isn't appropriate for a GTD, when even a base 1.8T Golf has IRS) or no spare tire.)

Swapping one of the V6 TDIs into a Golf would require extremely extensive modifications, as they're oriented differently, and there's not enough room for a V6 in transverse mount.