Tire Smoke?

NETHED

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI (Gone...but not forgotten)
Can a stock TDI (01 Golf AutoTranny) get some tire squeal off the line?

(Reason for question is below:)

So I bought this car used by a lady whose only knowledge about TDIs was that you needed to put Diesel into them. It was maintained by the stealership,everything they recommened, she did, and I have the paperwork for it.

So now I have it, and Bob on the forum helped me diagnose a failing MAF, which I have replaced CAGE-MODed since. Now I want to know if I'm getting all the power I should be getting. My average fuel economy numbers are a bit off right now, as I have been driving more 'spirited' since the new MAF :D.

I'm averaging 35mpg highway or city in central Massachusetts with about 20-30% AC usage. I've done the Italian tuneup :rolleyes:, but have not gotten around to getting this car to a Guru for a intake cleaning. Snow screen is clean, and the filter is less than a year old. Total milage on the car, 53K.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
What is the t-belt interval for this thing? Is it the 40k one? If so, the dealership did it about 13K ago. I'd look into the receipts to see what all they did - look for the stretch bolt replacement. If the longer-life setup came in for your's ignore this post.

NETHED

Veteran Member
TDI
According to the manual, and the stealer, I have the 60K belt. I'm planning on having it replaced before 60K as funds allow...

(ever try to live on a grad-student salary?? ;))

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
NETHED said:
According to the manual, and the stealer, I have the 60K belt. I'm planning on having it replaced before 60K as funds allow...

(ever try to live on a grad-student salary?? ;))
Find a TDI Guru, you will need it on that salary. And you will never have to go back to the stealer.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So - I was under the impression that the 2000 had 60K/5speed and 40k/auto t-belt intervals. I didn't think they became the same until the 80K belt in 02 (iirc). Double-check your manual. I'd like to correct my understanding of the original intervals if I'm wrong.

When it gets changed, go with the 100K kit - replacing everything the belt touches (almost). Do a search so you get the right stuff.

NETHED

Veteran Member
TDI
rdkern,

Thanks for the reply. I do believe you are right when you say the 2000's had 40K interval for AT, but mine is the 2001 model with the 60K interval.

I have found the dieselgeek complete kit for ~300USD, but what is the typical offering to the Guru for such a job? ($$, goats on an alter, cases of beer?)

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've seen $275-325 mentioned around here, pm the one in your area to see what he/she charges (haven't seen a "she" yet, but wouldn't be surprised).