tire recommendations for MkIV TDI Sport

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations of tires for a 2004 TDI Sport with OEM 16x6.5 alloy wheels.

The stock tire size is 205/55-16, and I would be looking for a high performance summer or all-season tire that won't break the bank.

Any suggestions of specific tires / dealers in the GTA (Halton/Peel regions in particular)?

If you happen to have a nearly new set available please don't hesitiate to send a PM.

Thanks

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I really liked the General G-Max AS-03. Great tread life, nice and quiet, and gripped fairly well. I'll buy another set when I next need a set of tires.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I put a set of Continental True Contact tires on the wifes Journey last fall. We drove to Florida and back and the fuel economy was incredible vs the previous tires. They are a low rolling resistance tire with a very long tread life. They should last a long time. The tires that came with her Journey were done at 40k. These have 20k on them and still look new.

Currently on sale at Can Tire:

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tir...052304P/continental-truecontact-153-/0062306/

And as an added bonus, free lifetime flat repairs & tire rotation at any Canadian Tire across the country.

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Continental Extreme Contact DW or DWS had both and was very happy. I have the DW now and they really are grippy.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Continental Extreme Contact DW or DWS had both and was very happy. I have the DW now and they really are grippy.
They look impressive... but I might have to go for something a wee bit more boring (cheaper).

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
So far the frontrunner in this contest seems to be the Falken ZE950.

This tire is the successor to the ZE912, and seems to be a great value from a price/performance perspective.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Lets be honest, you are driving a TDI. You do not need high performance tires. A good touring tire will give you more than enough grip in 3 season driving. If your worried about $$$, as your previous post suggests, the biggest bang for your buck is a long lasting tire.

The Falkens have a UTQG of 500AA and sell for around $140 at 1010tires. The Continental True Contact have a UTQG of 800AA and are $117 on sale, a savings of over $100 after tax. Longer life + cheaper price = better bang for $$$.

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just one word on Falken tire. I had the Falken FK-452 225/40ZR18 XL (92Y) and they were the most oval un-balance-able tires I have ever had. They had been hunter balanced and still were bad. I might have just had really really bad luck.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
Lets be honest, you are driving a TDI. You do not need high performance tires. A good touring tire will give you more than enough grip in 3 season driving. If your worried about $$$, as your previous post suggests, the biggest bang for your buck is a long lasting tire.

The Falkens have a UTQG of 500AA and sell for around $140 at 1010tires. The Continental True Contact have a UTQG of 800AA and are $117 on sale, a savings of over $100 after tax. Longer life + cheaper price = better bang for $$$.
I'm sure the True COntact are a very competent and durable tire, but I'm not sure I am prepared to give up the little extra bit of "fun factor" that the Falken's promise.

... and incidentally I can get a set of 4 Falken ZE950 mounted and balanced, with taxes included, for about $580, so there is not much of a cash saving with the Contis.

P.S. My spouse has been driving on Falken ZE912 for 2 years (60,000+ kms) and we are pleased with their performance so far.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If your mind is already set on Falkens then why asking for suggestions?

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
When I posed the question 3 days ago, I wasn't aware that the ZE950 existed, and was not familiar with the various options available from Continental.

The Continental Extreme Contact DWS or DW are choices I hadn't considered, and they are very appealing, but a little outside my price range.

The Continental True Contact is a good value, but lacking the performance characteristics I want.

Having options on the table, along with a bit of discussion about the relative merits, is a good thing.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
i'd go with the falkens, i've had a set on 912 and was quite happy with them

also a good set if your looking for cheap performance is Hankook V12, i had them on my jetta and loved them

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
I just picked up a set and have had a bunch of family and friends get tires from

www.tiredomain.ca

Talk to Konstantin, unbeatable prices and great service.

My set for A3 TDI 18" Replica Audi wheels and Aeolus Steering ACE [Chinese] Tires 235/40/18. Have had them on my car for over a month very impressive no issues the whole set installed out the door taxes everything in $1250. Quality wise its as if came from factory, tire as good as Michelin/Bridgestone etc. I had General GMax on 17" OEM now I can say these are better than OEM rims with GMax's. OEM setup is for sale.

Good luck.

TDIPWR33

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 TDI MK3
I bought cooper cs3 tires for my tdi and they were a lot better then anticipated. They were the cheapest available too. Very good grip in wet conditions, and takes turns very nicely. Extremely quite and smooth +1

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
Back on topic... my son purchased a set of Falken ZE950 205/55-16 for his recently acquired TDI Sport, and seems very pleased so far.

Tire technology advances never cease to impress...

I think I will have to bite the bullet soon and get a set for my car as well.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)

I'm with wingnut on this. $/km of use is what I aim for.

I purchased Michelin defenders. Plowed 215000km in '13/'14.. So for me.. It's was a no brainer.

As for holding all my engine power to the street.. I really can't complain. It's not a race car..

Right now.. I'm almost done polishing off some Chinese tires that I have never heard of before. They were new on my winter car I bought last year.. And honestly, I can't complain. They're lasting well, and take the abuse with grace. Somewhat impressed lol.

I just bought, and will soon start the burning them off process, Yokohama TRZs, which seem pretty close in caliber to the Michelin's. Scored them for 220bucks, 90% tread left, from an old couple who ran them on a Camry.

That's a good bang for the buck :)

Another tip... I always shop for my tires ahead of time, to have them 'on deck' for when I need them. Used or not. When you have time on your hands, you score well on value for what you want and/or need. However, finding performance tires... Used.. Isn't easy. But premium touring tires from the big boys, there are plenty of choices avail... Some for a song.

Lastly.. Id personally purchase premium touring rubber over the 'second rate' companies... Even though they've all come a long way over the past decade or two - technology trickles down... Like the Chinese soon to be cooked ones that I'm running. Still somewhat impressed hehehe.

But it's up to you. Your cash. Your car. We're offering advise, as asked.

lanorg

TDI
ALH, 11mm, vnt17, 1019, Jeep TJ @ 285km
Just clocked over the UTQG mileage rating for general altimax HPs. (over 88,000km). Only summer driven. Cheap with solid wet weather performance.

TireRack.com has some cool spider charts and 4-5min video reviews of many tires, so you can get a feel for what they will perform like without risking a blind purchase. Give that a shot for finding your candidates.

Marisa05MKIV

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
Are those minivan tires?
Sorry didn't realize I wasn't automatically subscribed to threads....anyway they are from a GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado, but next time around 215/65/15 Continental ControlContact or Pirelli Scorpion 205/70/15.

Last edited: