Tip or Trick on Instaalling Inner Tie Rod Boot / Bellow?

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
I am in the process of replacing my Inner and Outer Tie Rods on my 03 Jetta and everything has gone very smoothly until it came to installing the Inner Tie Rod Boot / Bellow.
The only way I see to access this area is along the the area where the Inner Tie Rod goes and I am pushing and pushing and it does not want to slide / snap into place.
I have applies a little grease but nothing seems to help.

Has anyone tried to slightly stretch the boot?
Any other Tips or Tricks?
:confused:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I assume that you have the subframe mounted to the vehicle still.
When I looked at the assembly, it was much easier to get to with the vehicle in the air, the engine out, or the subframe loosened and vehicle raised.
The easiest way I know to get more room is to remove the dog bone mount and pull the engine forward for increased access.
Unfortunately the rubber doesn't stretch much and twisting the rubber only goes so far.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
Different Viewing Angle

I was able to find a better angle to see how the boot was to slide onto its mounting ring.
This allowed me to see where I needed to apply more pressure.
This is the view from under the car looking forward.

Sorry only thought to take the picture after I had installed the boot.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I usually don’t have an issue putting that boot on, and I’ve given up trying to put a metal clamp on, I just use zip,ties for the boots without any problems.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have heard that dirt and water will get past zip ties leading to rack failure. I have only had to replace one rack in many years of owning MK4s, and that one had zip ties on it.

Simon

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
One could argue that it depends on how tightly zip ties are installed as to how much can get past them.

Either way, appropriate clamps are the best option.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Well..... I have 421,xxx miles on my original rack and have been using the zip tie method for over 15 years, I’ve owned the cay for 17 years bought it used with 32,xxxmiles on it.
That doesn’t count the 4 other family TDI’s I take care of.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
If you don't like zip ties then I have used worm gear hose clamps. I think I have tightened the clamp with a small ratchet.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
If everything else fails.....put the boot on a tapered pop bottle and lay it out in the sun or whatever for awhile. Then, quickly remove and go for the gold.

Think outside the damned box.