Timing belt

Tuzlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
Does anyone know where I can get a timing belt installed in Halifax area, I'll be buying the parts from brian so Hillcrest/Steele are out of the question.

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Why are the dealerships out of the question? I bought my parts from Brian and had Hillcrest do the work.

Tuzlo said:
Does anyone know where I can get a timing belt installed in Halifax area, I'll be buying the parts from brian so Hillcrest/Steele are out of the question.

HOOPER65

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD TDI GOLF
TIMING Belt - Not at Dealer? Try these guys.

Settels - 477-5556
Ask for Mike.
A family business since the days of the air cooled beatle.
A great V-Dub shop. Old stuff, new stuff whatever...
-
Harringtons - 453-4272
Ask for Dave.
A shop in new hands now ( last 6 yrs or so ), but has been a V-dub shop in Metro since the days of the air cooled beatle as well.
-
Either one of these shops can more than meet your needs,
In-fact - Harringtons and Hillcrest seem to have been flipping staff back and fourth for the last 10 years or so !
-
Tuzlo said:

bwc

Another excellent person is Dave CHASE in Hilden @ 897-2405. Met him last year. Brian Harrison suggested I go to him for my turbo problem which turned out to be the VNT actuator. I am going back this spring for timing belt, hoses, coolant, etc. Real honest guy and I got some useful tips from him as well.

Brian

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm thinking of calling Dave Chase for my timing belt as well.

I'm at just under 186k km right now, and it's due at 192k km. I'm thinking I'll wait until I'm over 190k km before replacing it.

TheCoolens

TDI
2002 Golf GL TDI
Our 02 golf is at 94 000kms right now... we plan on doing our timing belt at 120 000kms. Can anyone tell me if thats right?? I'm just confused now with the 192k mentioned above.

We have a 02 golf gl tdi 5 spd.

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
For 99.5-2002 vehicles, the replacement interval for the original belt is every 96k km. For 2003+ it's 128k km I believe. However, when my timing belt was replaced at 96k km the dealership used the same parts, so 192k km is my next interval.

Hoodie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
dellwas said:
Why are the dealerships out of the question? I bought my parts from Brian and had Hillcrest do the work.
If you bring your own parts I think you loose warrenty on the work as they aren't true vw parts.

bwc

The timing belt interval for our 2002 Golf 5 spd is 128,000 km, not 96,000 km. Check your book. 2003 and up are at 160,000 km. I am changing mine next month to the upgraded belt etc. Dave Chase puts this upgraded belt etc on as a matter of fact vs the older style. :)

picframer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I just had mine done at Hillcrest, had them do the water pump and all belts while they were at it, buddy said the timing belt was still in good shape (159,000k .....I really pound the milage on) the alt belt was on it's last leg which I sensed as it squeeled at times in the morning, all in it was just over $1,300 and I had the girl back in 5 hours. I know Hillcrest is probably more expensive, I use them for things like this as they are almost next door to the day job and they use me really good and the quality of their work is top notch. The milage I get makes it all worth while though, I personally wouldn't run anything but a TDI.

We run two TDI's at work for the sales guys, the 2005 Passat was just done and cost the same as mine.

Andy

pozi240

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Galatic Blue
picframer said:
I just had mine done at Hillcrest, had them do the water pump and all belts while they were at it, buddy said the timing belt was still in good shape (159,000k .....I really pound the milage on) the alt belt was on it's last leg which I sensed as it squeeled at times in the morning, all in it was just over $1,300 and I had the girl back in 5 hours. I know Hillcrest is probably more expensive, I use them for things like this as they are almost next door to the day job and they use me really good and the quality of their work is top notch. The milage I get makes it all worth while though, I personally wouldn't run anything but a TDI.

We run two TDI's at work for the sales guys, the 2005 Passat was just done and cost the same as mine.

Andy
Wow, $1300 huh? Thier labour prices must have REALLY went up the last 2 years. They did mine just over 2 years ago and only charged me a shade under $800 (for the same job basically, including WP and accesory belt)

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well I got my parts from Brian and had Hillcrest do the work. Came to just under, or just over $400.

pozi240 said:
Wow, $1300 huh? Thier labour prices must have REALLY went up the last 2 years. They did mine just over 2 years ago and only charged me a shade under $800 (for the same job basically, including WP and accesory belt)

pozi240

Veteran Member
TDI
dellwas said:
Well I got my parts from Brian and had Hillcrest do the work. Came to just under, or just over $400.
So, $900 just for labour then????! I say "wow" again. Even at $100/hr (which I know they're not that high..............yet...lol), they overcharged you.

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm pretty sure several members here get different treatment (and probably different prices) at Hillcrest.

Regardless, a co-worker had Hillcrest do his timing belt a year or two ago and it was just over $1000. I think he only had the belt done, nothing else, and the dealer supplied the parts.

Last edited:

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
No....

I bought the parts from Brian and Hillcrest charged me around $400 in labour. Mine was Brian's complete kit, water pump, belt, etc.

pozi240 said:
So, $900 just for labour then????! I say "wow" again. Even at $100/hr (which I know they're not that high..............yet...lol), they overcharged you.

Last edited:

pozi240

Veteran Member
TDI
dellwas said:
No....

I bought the parts from Brian and Hillcrest charged me around $400 in labour. Mine was Brian's complete kit, water pump, belt, etc.
So, Brian charged you $900 for a complete kit?? Last time I checked, it was just over $400, what am I missing here? 400 plus 400 should be $800 (give or take), and pretty close to what I paid for my TB job. where is the "extra" $500 coming into play?

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I have no idea where you are getting it from. I'm not the original poster, perhaps you are thinking of him/her??? All I said was that I paid Hillcrest to put the parts on, I didn't even say how much I paid Brian for the parts. I have absolutly no idea where you are getting your figures from, you must be getting me confused with one of the other posters.

For clarity, I bought the parts from Brian, and paid Hillcrest $400 or so to install. In total around $800! :)

Update, yeah, you are getting me confused with picframer, just went back through the threads, he's the one that paid $1300.

pozi240 said:
So, Brian charged you $900 for a complete kit?? Last time I checked, it was just over $400, what am I missing here? 400 plus 400 should be $800 (give or take), and pretty close to what I paid for my TB job. where is the "extra" $500 coming into play?

Last edited:

pozi240

Veteran Member
TDI
Then why did you respond to me when I was asking about the $1300 in the first place?(your quoted me in your response). Bugger off will ya! :D j/k

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Oops, I guess I meant to respond to picframer, your post was just below his.

I'll bugger off if you do :) I'd blame it on Willys shine, but I don't indulge!

Double j/k

pozi240 said:
Then why did you respond to me when I was asking about the $1300 in the first place?(your quoted me in your response). Bugger off will ya! :D j/k