Timing Belt Replacement

Jetiwarrior

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GLS
Just replaced my timing belt in 2003 Jetta and would like to thank this site for excellent vender's and how to instructions. The total job took me 12 hours since this is my first A4 belt change and it was 110 degree's in the shade. I have changed belts on A2 and A3 before but this required a lot more items to remove. The best hint I would give someone who never did one is to study your existing belt real good before you remove it. I got the belt on TDC, installed the camlock and injection pump pin before I removed the old belt. It was easier to also take the injection pump pulley off to see where the pin to lock it goes since I replaced the 3 pump bolts and wanted to see the pin inserted in the correct spot. I used Dieselgeeks water pump removal bolts which made it easier to remove the old pump since it was stuck pretty good. The worst part was removing the motor mount and having to work with it in the way. It would have been nice to totally remove it, change the belt, and then re-install it. The only problem I had was that I installed the mount back first before I put the timing belt covers on. I had 73,000 miles and since the belt was 6 years old I changed it ahead of time. My belt was making the swoosh sound back in Feb. and I decided to replace it now. The 2 small rollers sounded like they were drying out and the belt was showing small cracks on the inside due to its age and from the heat. The water pump also was starting to develop a small leak by the shaft seal. I attached some pictures of the timing marks. :)

http://img257.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=camshaftlock.jpg

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Good job!

And people complain about the labor I charge for them.....I do 3-5 a week.

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray
I also have a 2003, but with only 57000 miles. At the rate I put miles on the ole jetta it won't make it to 80,000 miles for another 2 or 2.5 years. I've never taken the timing belt cover off to inspect the belt.... I guess I should do that eh? Would people recommend changing the timing belt after a certain amount of time regardless of having reached 80,000 miles?

Jetiwarrior

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GLS
I have always taken the top timing belt cover off every 5,000 miles to inspect the belt. Due to the extreme heat in Arizona I feel that 6 years is enough life to get out of a timing belt. Several years ago my father in law came to visit from NY. He had a 1997 Jetta with only 34,000 miles and a belt that was 6 years old. The belt was cracked bad on the inside and outside. I wound up changing the belt for him before he drove back to NY. I believe belts should also be changed by age and just not miles. By the way, my serpentine belt was shot with only 33,000 miles on it. Tires also are only safe for about 5-6 years of age.