Timing Belt Kit?

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Sorry if this has been asked before....especially by me.

Where can I get a good deal on a Timing Belt Kit from a reputable location? I have been putting this off forever since I wasn't sure what the cost benefit was of owning this car in the future would be....but with the likely rising fuel prices I think that I might want to keep it and have a guru who is willing to do the TB for a reasonable price whereas I don't want to do the work.

Also, in my conversation with the guru they told me just to "buy the cheap kit". I can always go back and ask for clarification but wasn't sure what that meant.

Could you help translate that for me?

At 175k, I have no idea what was previously done to this vehicle but that was his recommendation.

Thanks for the help.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Sorry if this has been asked before....especially by me.

Where can I get a good deal on a Timing Belt Kit from a reputable location? I have been putting this off forever since I wasn't sure what the cost benefit was of owning this car in the future would be....but with the likely rising fuel prices I think that I might want to keep it and have a guru who is willing to do the TB for a reasonable price whereas I don't want to do the work.

Also, in my conversation with the guru they told me just to "buy the cheap kit". I can always go back and ask for clarification but wasn't sure what that meant.

Could you help translate that for me?

At 175k, I have no idea what was previously done to this vehicle but that was his recommendation.

Thanks for the help.
First thing I would advise for you...

Get rid of your "guru" and fine another one.

The "cheap" kit is absolutely what you do not want.

There are reputable vendors on this forum that sell the kits. Go through one of them.

IDparts and Cascade German to name a couple.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi,

I have bought the high mileage timing belt kit from ID parts in the past (the one that runs about $350 not the $250 one) .... LOTS of good parts there and since you don't know what was done in the past, best to do it right all at once while stuff is apart anyways (you may want 1 way pulley and serp. belt tensioner too)

If I can find a similar kit at FCP euro I may try getting it from there the next time because they offer free lifetime replacement on everything they sell including wear items ..... timing belts kits are painful enough to pay for once BUT it would be nice to NEVER have to pay for them again ! (since I have a guru install mine I will still have the labor cost buy saving $350 on subsequent go arounds would be nice!),

Andrew

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
OK, Andrew, educate me -- what's the difference in the "high mileage" TB kit? (What's considered "high" mileage for these engines?) I'm getting close to my second TB replacement @ 160K.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

A good deal on a timing belt kit does not include cheap junk chinese parts. The kits from idparts, metalmanparts, cascadegerman etc are good kits that include everything. No junk.

As to high mileage, both the op and irvingj have relatively low miles so unless you need the additional parts I would go with the regular kit. A high mileage kit is for the next belt change for both of you. Irvinj, you will need to inspect your engine for cam wear, your engine is somewhat different than the op’s. If you have noticeable wear a great time to replace the cam is when you do a belt change. I changed mine at 284k with 5 of 8 lobes showing wear.

For Irvingj

And if needed.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Thanks. I do use idparts as they're so close (MA to NH via UPS is overnight). Never had a problem with the parts they sell.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Last edited: