Time to beat the dead/replacement battery horse. HELP PLS!!!

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
So my battery kicked the bucket. I know there is a lot of debate on which battery to use mainly due to having enough amp hours...but alas I cant find anything cut and dry for MK6 when I need it!

I'd rather take care of this today, Sunday, so OEM battery at the dealer is out if a suitable sub is available through normal retail stores. With mine done in just under 3 years and many other people posting about the same time frame for their OE battery, I'd rather not use another one unless there is really no other good option for specs and fitment.

That said....seems like group 48 is the size that is supposed to go in, and while easy to find CCA and all higher then OE, AH is not up to par. There is A LOT of mention about H7/94R's exceeding every spec including AH, but since they aren't the exact OE size, I can only find tons of stuff about people raving about how much better they are and how they fit into MK4 ad MK5's.

Will a diehard Gold or Energizer 94R fit into my 2011 Golf? The part store sites say incompatible...but from what I gather, the OE battery is 10.9L x 6.8W X 7.5H, where as those 94R's are 12.4 x 6.8 X 7.5. Looks all the same except for the extra 1.5" length. Will the tray and cover accommodate that? Also, seems like the retainer bracket should not be an issue since the width is the same no?

If not, are there any other G48/H6 size batteries readily available with enough AH?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Actually, almost all battery religions war threads end exactly the same: the OEM battery from the dealer is perfect for the job (dimensionally and Ah capacity) and also one of the few parts that is generally very competitively priced. Everything else is is "kinda fits" or "kinda lasts" or "thank good for the no-questions-asked warranty".

Doesn't help you on a Sunday... but if you can wait till Monday morning this is an easy peasy decision. :)

Oh, and depending on where you live and how often you've maintained the battery by adding distilled water (they are not maintenance free batteries, despite common opinion), 3-5 years is right in the ball-park for battery life on our cars.

Last edited:

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
After some measuring, it appears a 94r will not fit comfortably in these cars. The insulation is def a no go for 12+ inches, but while that size will sit between the air box and the firewall, it appears it would be too long to sit even semi properly on the tray. Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer tomorrow. Local dealer shows $110 online which is as good as anywhere. Hopefully they have one in stock.

jandres

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Having been through 2 OEM batteries in 4 years, I think the advice that the OEM battery is superior does not hold up for the mk6. There is a lot of advice on this forum that just don't hold up for the newer cars.

jandres

TDI
BTW, the 72 ah for our batteries generally translates to 120 minute reserve capacity. You divide ah by 0.6 to get the reserve capacity in minutes.

Last edited:

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
BTW, the 72 ah for our batteries generally translates to 120 minute reserve capacity. You divide ah by 0.6 to get the reserve capacity in minutes.
hmm. There are several group 48 @ 115 reserve capacity...just shy. Going to just grab an OEM battery tomorrow this time around...but if it lasts just a couple years again, I think I'll see what happens with one of those. My thoughts are even if the retail ones are a bit weaker in that aspect and die in a couple years vs the 5+ the better batteries should last...most come with free replacement in the first 3 years which is better then $100+ for an OEM battery every time that last roughly just as long.

jandres

TDI
Check out pep boys and napa auto parts. Both have 48 group batteries that are 120 minutes reserve time. I believe the ones at auto zone and advance auto are just short at 115 minutes like you said.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Went with a dealer battery. $118 here. This one is an entertec vs varta that came with the car. We'll see how long this one lasts

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
In for info.

I need a new battery too, but my dealer quoted me $169.95
Was that installed or just for the part?

You might try seeing if your dealer has parts + prices online and/or any other dealer in your area. Dealer here appearantly runs different prices between the website and at the counter. When I asked for the battery, they told me $132. Mentioned I saw it for $110 on their website. They said website price must be outdated as he was showing $118 for web price. Asked if I could get that price right there vs ordering online first and he said no prob without hesitation. Takeaway what you will there.

But yeah, end result from what I gather is:

A) $140-$160 for a retail group 48 or H6 battery with 120min reserve time which may or may not quite be up to spec in amp hours....and having good warranty thus even if it did only last 2 or 3 yrs weather it be due to the nature of our cars or spec not being quite up to snuff, you could keep getting free replacements.

or

B) Get the proper dealer battery which SHOULD only be about $120 judging by a lot of posts on the net....which may still only last 2 or 3yrs judging by a lot of posts on the net....and doesn't have nearly as good of a warranty.

I chose B this time since the part was by a different manufacturer then what came in the car, and it being significantly cheaper. If this one only last 2 or 3yrs as well, I'll be going with A for sure next time. If I'm going to have to keep changing batteries every few years, they may as well be free or nearly so vs $120 a pop.

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
I think that was an installed price and I'm certain he mentioned it having a 5 year warranty. Maybe they've upgraded suppliers?

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
I think that was an installed price and I'm certain he mentioned it having a 5 year warranty. Maybe they've upgraded suppliers?
Same battery I'm sure. Just like every other part on the car, the battery has VW part number, and even tho different companies can supply the battery (there are 3 currently...Varta, Entertec, and I forget the 3rd off the top of my head), they are built to the spec of that part number. In other words, it will still be a 640A 72AH battery regardless of the supplier. The 5yr warranty is prob a dealer type add on like/ included with the $50 markup for install. They don't come with that good of a warranty from VW themselves.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I hate to hijack the thread, but my 2010 does have a maintenance-free battery.
Back on topic, I guess I am getting close to needing a replacement and am interested in what will be best.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
My 2009 JSW TDI has the original and its still strong. My experience is OEM are very good batteries.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I just replaced my 2009 JSW battery last Sunday. Found an AGM replacement at O'Reilleys. Exact replacement for the original unit. I would have paid a little more to get their "best" battery that had a little more CCR, but there was very little difference in real life.
The key is the AGM technology or Absorbed Glass Mat where the acid is held in fiberglass mats and the plates and mats are compressed into cells.
These include recombinant technology.

Super Start® Platinum - Battery

Part Number: 48PLT
Line: SSB
  • 3 year limited warranty
  • UPC: 83996032866
  • 12 Volt
  • Cold Cranking Amps: 760
  • Cranking Amps: 875
  • Reserve Capacity: 120 Minutes
  • Best Performance Estimate
  • 760 CCA
  • 875 CA
  • 120 Minute Reserve Capacity
  • Battery Gasses Need To Be Vented To Outside
  • OE Used Various Size Batteries In Production
  • Check Original Battery For Size And Correct Fit
  • AGM
So far so good. The best part was they had the battery two miles down the road when the car would not start. The only one I found in Mobile, AL. that Sunday.
Fit perfectly. Same weight. Car runs!

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Yeah Autozone is holding an AGM Duralast for me that I'll be installing this weekend. (My OE battery has been giving me hell for weeks but I've been too busy to replace it.)

Cannot wait to have a reliable car again!

Last edited:

Hamman

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's, but an '84 Rabbit diesel
That poor battery is in just the wrong spot to be regularly heated up each time a regen happens, especially at low speeds or with a shut down. I have gotta wonder how this plays into an early death.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
My 03 Jetta TDI 92k still oem battery when I sold it last month.
I think a lot may have to do with what Hamman just stated with these cars.

Otherwise, I think most better batteries are generally very good these days. Like your Jetta, my 03 F150 still has it's factory battery and it's still kicking along fine!

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
My battery suddenly gave me a scare today. Hard start after work today (3.75 yrs old, 88,700 miles). Took a couple tries to get her started...shut her off then back on again after I got home. Battery suddenly was not doing to well.

So after some research....I just bought an Autozone H6 Absorbed Glass Matt (Warranty consists of 3 years free replacement. ***730 Cold cranking Amps***. 120 reserve minutes). Fits absolutely PERFECT! Normally I stick with VW OEM but I'm not impressed with the stock battery.
Noticed that Autozone, Advanced auto, and O'reilly's all sell the exact same H6 AGM battery...just a different sticker on it. I'm guessing Johnson Controls makes these batteries, as JC has over 50% of the automotive battery market. The two others are Exide and East Penn.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
It seems that these cars work great starting the start a little slow and soon won't start. At least that was the way mine acted.
I had to run down to O'reilleys to get one, but they had it in the back.
The slow starting was not gringing slow, but rather just a little hesitation before turning over.
I think that the battery drain keeping whatever is always on doesn't help or possibly not having a door completely closed in the afternoon and over night could do a weak one in.
With the glow plugh and high compression you need to have a good battery in one of these cars.

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
As of just last week I'm on my second NAPA 7548 battery. Returned the previous one that died (had NO symptoms beforehand) and they pro-rated it even though I didn't have the original purchase receipt -- I was out the door with the new replacement for under $40! The first one lasted 2 to 2.5 years I'd guess.

Just another option if a NAPA store is nearby. The battery fits and meets the cranking specs.

Attributes: Battery BCI # : BCI #48
Battery Cold Cranking Amps @ 0 Degrees F : 680
Battery Posts Type : Top Post
Battery Voltage : 12 Volt
Wet or Dry : Wet
Battery Cranking Amps @ 32 Degrees F : 850
Battery Height : 7 1/2"
Battery Length : 11"
Battery Reserve Capacity (Minutes) : 120
Battery Weight : 43 lbs
Battery Width : 6 7/8"

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, almost all battery religions war threads end exactly the same: the OEM battery from the dealer is perfect for the job (dimensionally and Ah capacity) and also one of the few parts that is generally very competitively priced. Everything else is is "kinda fits" or "kinda lasts" or "thank good for the no-questions-asked warranty". ...
Our JSW battery died last week. After a neighbor was able to jump start the car, my wife drove to the Dealer who pronounced that that the battery was shot. After some nail biting over the cost ($160 installed) and my stress level at work, we chose to have the Dealer do it. It ended up being a good choice, as it fits perfectly and the price was perfectly matched with all three auto parts stores on an AGM H6 around here.

Last edited:

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
My brother asked me a good question about our batteries, wondering if their higher price (as compared to other more common types) is because a diesel requires more starting power. Is that the case?

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
My brother asked me a good question about our batteries, wondering if their higher price (as compared to other more common types) is because a diesel requires more starting power. Is that the case?
I suspect so. When getting jumped by a small truck mine wouldn't really even crank (and I've got heavier sized/lower gauge cables). We added a second larger truck -- both gasoline -- in parallel and it finally turned over but still reluctantly. Fortunately for me I had some friends to help me out at the time.

Last edited: