Time for a new turbo!

vogelspinnen

TDI
VW caddy
I am planning to change to a new turbo soon, and am most probably going for the 17/22. But before I pull the trigger ($1399 is a really major decision at this point in my life LOL), would just want to check with you guys if there are any other turbos I can consider?

1. I want as big a turbo as possible (within the below limitations of course)!
2. I am driving an MK2 van, so the annoying rear engine mount might be in the way for anything bigger than a 18 exhaust side.
3. The new turbo must bolt onto a stock ALH, without needing to custom any manifolds or downpipes etc The exhaust side must also be continuous with the exhaust manifold, like the VNT17/22).
4. Its a RHD van (the compressor outlet is straight, as opposed to bent at a 90 degree angle I have seen in some 17/22s)

I have heard of VT3s, 18/56s, but can't seem to find any for sale!

P.S. I am also selling my 2052V setup if anyone wants it. Customised tubular manifold, turbo is mounted on TOP of the manifold, so i would sit somewhere level with your valve cover. Its still in great running condition, just that it wouldn't pass inspection in my sad sad country. Also have the full front mount intercooler set for this turbo setup, built for a MK2 caddy van.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I am planning to change to a new turbo soon, and am most probably going for the 17/22. But before I pull the trigger ($1399 is a really major decision at this point in my life LOL), would just want to check with you guys if there are any other turbos I can consider?

1. I want as big a turbo as possible (within the below limitations of course)!
2. I am driving an MK2 van, so the annoying rear engine mount might be in the way for anything bigger than a 18 exhaust side.
3. The new turbo must bolt onto a stock ALH, without needing to custom any manifolds or downpipes etc The exhaust side must also be continuous with the exhaust manifold, like the VNT17/22).
4. Its a RHD van (the compressor outlet is straight, as opposed to bent at a 90 degree angle I have seen in some 17/22s)

I have heard of VT3s, 18/56s, but can't seem to find any for sale!

P.S. I am also selling my 2052V setup if anyone wants it. Customised tubular manifold, turbo is mounted on TOP of the manifold, so i would sit somewhere level with your valve cover. Its still in great running condition, just that it wouldn't pass inspection in my sad sad country. Also have the full front mount intercooler set for this turbo setup, built for a MK2 caddy van.
The 17/22 isn't going to clear the rear motor mount assuming it is like the Golf MK2/3 rear mount. What setup came on there from the factory?

vogelspinnen

TDI
VW caddy
I believe its a VNT-15, but anyways I have seen a couple of vans here running the 17/22, so it should be a pretty safe choice :D

GT TDI Golf

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
KermaTDI sells the 1856. I've had one on mine for 30k+ miles and love it! Not sure about the rear mount but mine doesn't have the angled compressor outlet. It looks pretty much like a VNT 15.

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
Make sure you tell them you want the K3A instead of the B which has the 90* bend on the compresser outlet...;)