Tierod replacement

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Vehicle was inspected and passed…kinda. They said the right tierod needs to be replaced. Any other recommended fixes/updated while Im under there?

Also, the license plate light and rear wipers dont work.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
If your suspension is old enough to have a bad outer tierod, it might need a refresh. Struts, LCA bushings, ball joint. etc.

For the license plate lights, open them up and see if they are burned out. Golfs have been known to get water leaks past the 3rd brake light and cause corrosion in that whole area.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Awesome advice thanks!
If your suspension is old enough to have a bad outer tierod, it might need a refresh. Struts, LCA bushings, ball joint. etc.

For the license plate lights, open them up and see if they are burned out. Golfs have been known to get water leaks past the 3rd brake light and cause corrosion in that whole area.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Concur, if you have to do one tie rod I would do everything, struts / mounts / strut bearings along with both tie rods, steering rack boots and ball joints. I would also inspect the lower control arm bushings and replace if they look torn in any way. And as usual replace the rear bushing in the LCA with the ones from the TT.

After that just do an alignment and you should be good for quite a while.

Offering the same advice for the rear too, if you have to go in for one thing I always just opt to do it all and have it over with.

Steve