Ticking noise after new clutch and DMF

Jackj

TDI
MK5 Golf GT TDi
Hi everyone,

I've just had a new clutch, dual mass flywheel and second hand gearbox fitted. I've done about 100 miles since it was all fitted and have just noticed this "tinny" ticking noise when the car is hot - haven't noticed it when cold. I've posted a Youtube video of the noise here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EP3bHHdq80

The sound is engine speed dependent. Sound only changes very slightly when the clutch is pressed in.
Hard to tell if the sound changes in different gears due to road noise.

Removed flywheel inspection cover (as I found a thread on here suggesting it was a common cause) and found it had been rubbing. Removing the cover did not get rid of the sound after I got the car nice and hot. I have also noticed that the metal gasket between the gearbox and engine looks a little beaten up - is it possible that this is rubbing on the flywheel?

No error codes, smoke or performance loss noticed. (Have had a P2108 - Throttle Actuator Control Module error a few times but the noise is coming from the back on the engine and no where near this. Believe it is unrelated).

Any pointers or ideas of things to check would be much appreciated - if not I will be doing a 65 mile drive back to the garage who fitted it all!

Cheers,
Jack

Jackj

TDI
MK5 Golf GT TDi
Sorry should have added this is a 57 plate MK5 Golf GT TDi 140. BKD PD engine.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did you get any help with this? I'm having the same issue with the same car 2007 mk5 golf gt bkd

That metal dust shield between the transmission and engine if it is bent or otherwise out of line can indeed rub on the flywheel. I did a clutch one time on a Chevy, which was my first clutch job ever and I allowed the shield to get twisted up in there, when I started the car it made a horrible screeching,. I had to remove the transmission...again to get it right.

If it’s a small rub and you’re sure that’s the problem you can wait it out, it will go away, or you can crawl back under the car separate the bell housing and you might be able to straighten the shield out with some pliers. Or take the transmission out and fix it properly.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
I had this happen with my first clutch replacement. Using a thin metal shop ruler, I was able to slide it around between the flywheel and shim plate and succeeded in bending it just enough to stop rubbing. Extremely lucky but it saved me hours of re-work.