Thoughts on prep before turbo back exhaust install?

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'm getting a turbo back exhaust installed on Wednesday and was wondering if I need to do any prep to make removing the stock system a smooth process.

Thus far, I am planning to take off my steel skidplate (and leave it off for the install) and shoot some WD-40 on the downpipe nuts, since it has been 85k miles and 8 years since they have moved. Anything I am missing or should consider?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I would recommend picking up 3 new studs and nuts for the turbo outlet just in case. They'll break, of freeze up sometimes. $5 in hardware makes for a very easy afternoon sometimes.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
...and shoot some WD-40 on the downpipe nuts, ...
WD-40 is useless. Go get some PB Blaster or something stronger (Kryol? I think is another nut-breaker of choice :p)

Give it a shot a couple days before install to let it soak in.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Eh, IMHO, penetrating oils don't do squat on copper nuts (at least have never for me).

My best advice to tell whoever is doing the install, just break out the torch and get the nuts cherry before putting a wrench to them. Don't even bother trying anything else first. They'll come off easy as pie, no concern about breaking/bending studs, rounded nuts, etc. I've done more than I can count and have never had one that didn't submit to fire :D.

Before putting the new dp on, run a M8x1.25 die over the studs so you can run the nuts all the way down with your fingers. It really helps for the PITA nut.

The~boy

TDI
MK3 Jetta
+1 to whitbread
I have used kroyl and wd-40 on endless nuts but nothing works like a torch. I even used a torch to get the stripped hex bolts from my cv axle. Got them hot as hell and then used vice grips and they came out like nothing. Im sure that a bad practice to do but whatever gets the car roiling again.