Thinking about exhaust system.

moonshyne0986

TDI
2006 jetta 1.9 BMR TDI DSG
Ok so I'm about to do much work on my 2006 Jetta. IE... New Franks cam kit, PD140 turbo, new boost pipe seals, dual mass Flywheel, new dual clutch torque converter (or os VW calls it)on my DSG, 3bar map, Kermatdi programing, and some other normal odds an end. (pesky water leak on back of engine new egr cooler find a used belly pan, buy a real skid plate, boring stuff. So with all these (I know many people have already been down this road so I'm asking advice) performance upgrades would my stock exhaust be fine or should I buy a larger aftermarket one to get the best of what I'm doing? Thanks for your input.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I always feel like looking at the BRM's stock catalyst/downpipe assembly, that it wouldn't be very good flowing. But then I drive a car that is 100% stock save for software and it runs like a raped ape and pulls hard all the way to redline with ease. So I am think the stock exhaust probably does pretty darn good. I know they have a larger inside diameter flex section than the earlier cars. I like having a catalyst, and the packaging of most of the aftermarket exhaust systems don't seem to allow for one on any of the V-band type turbo outlet engines... but maybe someone does?

I think more than anything it will make the car sound "meaner", and perhaps have lower sustained EGTs given your other planned mods.

DieterLange

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI (BKD)
As far as I've heard the stock exhausts on the PD TDI has little or no restriction, I think a cheaper alternative would be to just do a rear muffler delete

moonshyne0986

TDI
Thank you both for your reply's. From what I've been reading none of the bigger pipes help until you have somewhere between 225 an 250 or higher HP. All I'm looking for is somewhere between 145 to 160hp.

I think more than anything it will make the car sound "meaner", and perhaps have lower sustained EGTs given your other planned mods.
Yea I liked the meaner sound was when kid but now that my hearing is going (because of steam turbines in the Navy and shooting riffles) the quieter she is the better. I remember racking those dual pipes up on a chevy 283 vet engine all cam' d up showing off for the lady's. At 58 and two grand kids those days are over. :)

Trevman

TDI
2006 MK5 Jetta
As far as I've heard the stock exhausts on the PD TDI has little or no restriction, I think a cheaper alternative would be to just do a rear muffler delete
Meaning, Just cut out the rear muffler assembly and pipe in the rest of the way to the back?

moonshyne0986

TDI
Just cutting the muffler out and installing a straight pipe in it's place is what he was talking about but that will make it louder. Much louder.

Trevman

TDI
2006 MK5 Jetta
What is the best way to put an exhaust system on an 06 tdi? Straight pipe? Or a prefabbed option?

moonshyne0986

TDI
I can't answer that one guy. I still just have my stock exhaust on mine. Personally my loud muffler days are over so stock is fine foe me.

DieterLange

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI (BKD)

06Jetta-Lane

TDI
'14 Passat TDI
What is the best way to put an exhaust system on an 06 tdi? Straight pipe? Or a prefabbed option?
I've had stock exhaust, then resonator delete, then muffler delete, then straight pipe out the back, and now straight pipe out the hood. By far the biggest change was doing the muffler delete. It adds a lot more turbo whistle.