Thermostat housing interchange

buzzboy

TDI
1979 Mercedes 300SD BHW
I have a BHW going into a Mercedes SKlasse. The factory housing has the stupid BHW hose end and aims straight at my engine mount. I bought a BEW housing and it collides with the metal coolant bypass pipe. ALH looks like it would hit my alternator. BRM has a second hose fitting that I don't want/need.

Is there another option? Or do I need to modify the metal coolant pipe?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress

I used this kit from eBay, direct from China due to wanting clearance on my BHW to Toyota engine mounts and to get rid of the so called quick disconnects that are impossible to disconnect.

I also reconfigured all the metals pipes that went between the oil filter housing and cylinder head using brass TEEs.

In my conversation I used the original Toyota radiator. I'd have used a different set up if using an expansion tank but either way I'd have used the better angled 1.8t thermostat housing.

It out the coolant line very snug against my alternator but still plenty of adequate clearance.

It's cheap china stuff so I planned on it leaking and I'd switch to a better brand. Installed back in October. It's now May and still leak free, it's my daily driver. Looks like I'm leaving it in as of now.

buzzboy

TDI
1979 Mercedes 300SD BHW
Did you intend to post a link? I don't see one.

Do 1.8T thermostat housings fit on the TDIs? The B5 A4 neck looks like it might work for me.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I did try to post a link. The kit was about 24 bucks, I felt it was worth the gamble. I googled VW metal thermostat housing upgrade kit. Ecs tuning had the kit that to me looks identical for the TDI but for more than 100 bucks, not worth the risk in my case. But yes the kit I ordered was for the 1.8t as I couldn't find them for the TDI that cheap.

I bought mine from eBay but it looks like Amazon has them now. Amazon has much better return policy than eBay if it doesn't work for you.

I didn't use any of the parts other than the thermostat housing.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks cheap enough. You just need it to extend out far enough to clear the alternator.

buzzboy

TDI
1979 Mercedes 300SD BHW
For those searching in the future. The B5 1.8T part fit and cleared what was needed to be cleared.