Temperature question

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
I had a thermostat and coolant temp sensor replaced a few years at the dealer. Im reading the normal coolant temperature should be around 90 C. mine is running 92 to 94 (VCDS). Any thought? did a 92 degree thermostat get placed?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I would think 2 - 4 degrees would be within acceptable limits on a thermostat, or on a temp sensor. How would you know which one is off. maybe they are both off just 1 - 2 degrees.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Agreed. Run the engine hard on the freeway and watch the temps - if under say 95C you have nothing to worry about. There are very few posts about cooling system problems with the BHW. I never see any hot readings even climbing 7 percent grades out here in WA state.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
OK thanks. I remember reading somewhere the thermostat should open at 88C and temp should stay at around.90. Im about 30k from having a timing belt/water pump changed. I had a camshaft, lifters and bearing replaced recently.
Ill keep an eye on it.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, they are not a precision instrument and can vary a degree or two. "Around 90" is the key phrase... looks like you're good. :)

I've seen anywhere from 88C to 91C over the years after an OEM t-stat replacement... and some of them are dead solid, others allow a degree or two of drift during normal operation.

One reason why the dash gauge is heavily damped.