TDI Stolen

rm22

TDI
12 JSW
Worst fear in regards to this buyback just happened to us (painfully ironically on the eve of the judge's final approval)!... 2012 JSW TDI was stolen from our driveway. Our documents had already been accepted through the online claims portal and we were just playing the waiting game to learn the dealer appointment date and accept the buyback check. Making this feel all worse, the only reason the car was parked in driveway and not locked safely in the garage was because the brand new car we bought to replace it was in the shop overnight.

Of course, my wife and I start discussing conspiracy theories. But why on earth would someone target one of these cars? They're basically worthless to someone who can't prove the car belongs to them, right? I realize that posts like this one, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5162471&postcount=185, in another thread were made completely tongue-in-cheek, but please tell me there is not someone possibly evil enough out there with a similar vehicle to ours, but which is either totaled or mechanically incapable of being driven to a dealer for buyback, who might be on the hunt for a replacement car to use their VIN plate?!?!

I know that is a far-fetched idea, but I'm still reeling from this gut punch, so not quite thinking sensibly yet. I keep telling myself this was a completely random act by some inebriated dark soul, and the car will be located like the majority of cars that are stolen.

T

Tabbycat

That sucks bro. I hope you get good insurance compensation out of it

derekmw

TDI
2010 Audi A3 TDI Premium, 2015 Tesla Model S 70
dang, what timing. sorry to hear man. that is just terrible. I hope they can recover it quickly, and if so, it will probably be driveable and you won't be affected. I can't imagine someone actually stole it for the buyback...but probably just a random theft

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
That does suck, but at least it happened after the Settlement was finalized. The insurance company can't argue much about the value and you'll probably get your money quicker than the rest of us if they don't find it. Good luck through this whole mess/.

rm22

TDI
12 JSW
I meant to add that this happened in Portland, Maine, so I'd appreciate any tips from Maine TDI friends ;) It is a red 2012 JSW. It has the Maine pink breast cancer plates with tag "892 ALE" and has two college stickers on rear windshield, Wentworth College and Johnson & Wales U.

I know those of us in this forum are more inclined to see or hear a TDI coming from a mile away.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Hopefully they just stole it to take a joy ride in it or to steal some parts off it and the police find it soon. But since the settlement sets a "street value" and the settlement is final, the insurance company should cough up I would think (IANAL and all that)

(My brother had a Golf stolen once and the police found it out in a field stuck in the mud where some kids had been doing donuts in the mud with it).

rm22

TDI
12 JSW
Scratchy101 -- Good questions... We still have both key fobs, but the valet key was definitely in the glove box. It was at a tire shop the day of the theft where I had the tires mounted back on the original wheels to prep for turning it in. I had given the shop the valet key to use. A suspicion event is that when I picked up the car from the shop in the afternoon (it was there all day while I was at work), the car was parked outside in their lot with all windows down and the key in the ignition.

There is also a chance I may not have locked the car because I was in a rush gathering some things from it that evening to prepare to leave for an early business trip in a rental car that was parked on the street (so I didn't notice our TDI was missing the next AM).

There was no evidence of any break-in. The police officer did quickly notice a fresh cigarette butt next to the driveway and far enough from the street to be suspicious and he collected for evidence.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Hopefully you receive your formal offer from VW soon. That should help with the insurance claim. To me, theft was one of the biggest concerns throughout this mess.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Criminals are not the brightest people in the world. Maybe the thief stole it, thinking he can turn it in to VW for $$$

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Since the settlement is final I would demand insurance company pay the value as per the deal. I would also stay away from tire shop.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I wish my TDI would get stolen. Well...maybe the thief could give me notice so I could grab my golf clubs first, lol.

Since the settlement is final I would demand insurance company pay the value as per the deal. I would also stay away from tire shop.
Yup. Unless someone has a cut rate/crap insurance company...compensation at the buyback amount shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
I hope the thief waited for the glow plug to go off before he started the car.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I hope the thief waited for the glow plug to go off before he started the car.
Lol. No kidding.

In all seriousness though OP...it sucks if you had anything pricey in the trunk, but other than that....consider it an expedited buyback.

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
Nope. Fitted Ping G5 irons. The last generation that were made in the U.S. ;-)
I keep my clubs in my car too. I have a set of fitted L/H Ping K15's with graphite shafts - I kind of wish someone would steal the clubs but leave the car (Nissan Leaf SL). I'd get a set of Taylormade irons/woods to match the R11s 9* driver that I'll give up when the face caves in. I'll be on ebay looking for another one.

The Jetta sits unless I need to go further than 50 miles round trip. Which isn't very often. 10% or less.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
Lol. No kidding.

In all seriousness though OP...it sucks if you had anything pricey in the trunk, but other than that....consider it an expedited buyback.
rm,

You did remove the Van Gogh you just inherited from the trunk right. ;)

rm22

TDI
12 JSW
rm,

You did remove the Van Gogh you just inherited from the trunk right. ;)
Haha, no expensive artwork, but I would like a new set of golf clubs myself, so maybe I can sneak that into the insurance claim :)

Geesixty

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
I meant to add that this happened in Portland, Maine, so I'd appreciate any tips from Maine TDI friends ;) It is a red 2012 JSW. It has the Maine pink breast cancer plates with tag "892 ALE" and has two college stickers on rear windshield, Wentworth College and Johnson & Wales U.

I know those of us in this forum are more inclined to see or hear a TDI coming from a mile away.
So sorry to hear about this... I am in West Falmouth (just moved from North Deering) and will definitely keep my eyes peeled. May I ask where in Portland this happened?

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
please tell me there is not someone possibly evil enough out there with a similar vehicle to ours, but which is either totaled or mechanically incapable of being driven to a dealer for buyback, who might be on the hunt for a replacement car to use their VIN plate?!?!
That sucks! I think that there are people stupid enough to think that, but there are vin#'s all over the car and I bet the ones charged with checking the cars for buyback are going to check the plate against other locations that it is marked...Mark

Geesixty

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Deering Highlands
Just a thought (and you've probably already thought of this), but have you checked with the city? Maybe it was parked blocking a sidewalk or rolled out into the road and was towed? My F150 took a ride out into Summit Street on its own once, but somebody was nice enough to knock on my door and ask if it was my truck that was in the middle of the road blocking 1.5 lanes of a two lane road. :eek:

rm22

TDI
12 JSW
Just a thought (and you've probably already thought of this), but have you checked with the city?
Good idea. I did just call the city to make sure. No luck, but they did say that the police should continue to check the same list the city has for towed vehicles.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just a thought (and you've probably already thought of this), but have you checked with the city? Maybe it was parked blocking a sidewalk or rolled out into the road and was towed? My F150 took a ride out into Summit Street on its own once, but somebody was nice enough to knock on my door and ask if it was my truck that was in the middle of the road blocking 1.5 lanes of a two lane road. :eek:
My coworker had a Ford Aerostar that had the shifter on the floor. As they were sitting down to dinner one night, the neighbor came over and asked them to come get their van. It had popped out of gear, rolled out of the garage, down the driveway, into the nieghbor's driveway, and hit their car in their garage.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
VW has this all figured out. They've put a bounty out on approved TDIs to transfer some of their liability from themselves to the insurance companies. Then, they're using the stolen cars as practice runs for the transportation and disassembly/crusher teams. It's not like they don't know where you live now :D

rm22

TDI
12 JSW
VW has this all figured out. They've put a bounty out on approved TDIs to transfer some of their liability from themselves to the insurance companies. Then, they're using the stolen cars as practice runs for the transportation and disassembly/crusher teams. It's not like they don't know where you live now :D
Trust me, that was already added to our list of conspiracy theories!