TDI Replacement : (

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Why would anyone want to buy a another car from a corrupt german company?
You're entitled to your opinion...

That said, after looking at what's out there nothing matches the overall package that you get with a gti. Nothing else fits my tall frame like a German car. VW just happens to have the best overall package and price. BMW has a few nice cars... but they are often used as status symbols around here and simply don't drive as good as the older bimmers. Mercedes Benz are pretty much the Toyota of german cars. Pretty ho hum driving experience unless you have amg model.

Mazda 3 hatchback was a contender, but they lost me due to lack of head room. The Mazda 6 is worse in headroom. CX5 was pretty good, but seemed to lack long drive comfort.

Tried several other makes and models, but nothing really worked out.

I occasionally need the utility of a hatchback. And I can also toss my bike in the back with a bit of space management. (XL full suspension 29er MTB and 60CM road bike). Add to that the ability to be able to drive for hours with little to no fatigue in my golf.

Yeah vw has ethical issues up top. They seemed to be taking a big hit in the us for their blunder. Won't stop me from trading to a mk7 GTI however. Kinda a dream car for me for a while.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I occasionally need the utility of a hatchback. And I can also toss my bike in the back with a bit of space management. (XL full suspension 29er MTB and 60CM road bike). Add to that the ability to be able to drive for hours with little to no fatigue in my golf.
Yeah vw has ethical issues up top. They seemed to be taking a big hit in the us for their blunder. Won't stop me from trading to a mk7 GTI however. Kinda a dream car for me for a while.
I have very similar needs. I'm not super tall, but with long legs I've been putting the seat all the way back in every car I've had other than a Charger. I also have a MTB and a baritone sax I need to cart around at least once a week. Sax barely fits in the trunk of the Jetta... I brought it with me car shopping :) The only other vehicle on the market with diesel and a stick that will fit my sax is a Ram 2500.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
If anybody happens to get a volt, shoot me a pm and let me know how you like it. I work the assembly line they're built on and its always nice to hear what people think of them, good or bad.
I would be driving one now, if it weren't for the tiny back seat. Love the Gen I styling, except for the odd center stack. The Gen II is more of a Civic knock-off but super comfortable (for two) and the regen brake paddle on the steering column is way too cool.

The whiplash acceleration doesn't hurt either.

I still think about it as they have the green carpool stickers, which I could use for a commute.

Tgilb2007

TDI
mk6 Jetta TDI
Depending on how the finances will work out, I think a GTI will be in my future. My TDI has almost no miles, but if I can get into a GTI on a lower payment, it would be worth it to me.

What's annoying is that I just spent $850 for my suspension, thinking that the money wouldn't really be that great anyway. Well, if this is all true on how everything works, the GTI may be a good move after all.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I have very similar needs. I'm not super tall, but with long legs I've been putting the seat all the way back in every car I've had other than a Charger. I also have a MTB and a baritone sax I need to cart around at least once a week. Sax barely fits in the trunk of the Jetta... I brought it with me car shopping :) The only other vehicle on the market with diesel and a stick that will fit my sax is a Ram 2500.
Well if not the GTI or the GSW I'm also looking at the Subaru Forrester. Maybe a Mazda 3 or cx5.

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDi Malone Stage 2, Rawtek.
Tesla model 3 will be worth the wait, I'm thinking that's the next rig we'll be looking at. In some jurisdictions like California and Ontario there are significant incentives in the purchase price. Not only will it be a nice rig but with new technology here or on the way you can charge the car at night (cheaper electricity rate) and sell back to the grid at a higher rate during the day, pending your commute to from work etc. Even if you only netted $3.00 a day over the life of the car that's significant..... Or you can assist in paying for a photovoltaic solar system at your home.

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
Tesla model 3 will be worth the wait, I'm thinking that's the next rig we'll be looking at. In some jurisdictions like California and Ontario there are significant incentives in the purchase price. Not only will it be a nice rig but with new technology here or on the way you can charge the car at night (cheaper electricity rate) and sell back to the grid at a higher rate during the day, pending your commute to from work etc. Even if you only netted $3.00 a day over the life of the car that's significant..... Or you can assist in paying for a photovoltaic solar system at your home.
I agree with you on the Tesla and would like to try a model 3 when they become available. While I am waiting I leaning towards a used (2013) Mercedes C250 Sport to replace my 2011 Jetta and a Jeep to replace the 2012 Jetta.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Well if not the GTI or the GSW I'm also looking at the Subaru Forrester. Maybe a Mazda 3 or cx5.
My wife has a Forester XT, Love the thing. highly recommend it

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
So now im thinking of a Chevy SS, sorta the opposite relm of the TDI, but it was beyond fun to drive and has 5 seats

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
So I wonder if the EPA and Carb have considered the additional cost in carbon outputs and increased pollution in swapping out the what is it.... 480,000... More or less TDi vehicles.... I mean I'm thinking my 96 Ford 7.3 powerstroke Diesel emits more and certainly burns more fuel.... So collectively the extra fuel/gas and other petrol products that will now be used will be significant no? We opted as a family to park our son's 92 Chevy pickup he now drives our 05 Honda Pilot, wife drives the Sig TDi as do I when I don't need my truck. The savings in fuel pays for the TDi. Just think how much we'll save with Teslas... Can hardly wait for a Tesla truck version, in 4x4..

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4

I agree that the model 3 will be worth the wait, i put a deposit on two of them as soon as i was able, (about 90 minutes after opening) i got there at 7am and could not believe the lines (about 300+) I personally think the model 3 will be a game changer and hope i get in early enough to take advantage of the FULL federal tax credits

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
So I wonder if the EPA and Carb have considered the additional cost in carbon outputs and increased pollution in swapping out the what is it.... 480,000... More or less TDi vehicles.... I mean I'm thinking my 96 Ford 7.3 powerstroke Diesel emits more and certainly burns more fuel.... So collectively the extra fuel/gas and other petrol products that will now be used will be significant no? We opted as a family to park our son's 92 Chevy pickup he now drives our 05 Honda Pilot, wife drives the Sig TDi as do I when I don't need my truck. The savings in fuel pays for the TDi. Just think how much we'll save with Teslas... Can hardly wait for a Tesla truck version, in 4x4..
While I'm sure there is net damage in replacing all those cars prior to their normal end of life - It really comes down to what the long-term benefits of the mitigation funding that the settlement also includes. THAT is going to be a serious long-term environmental benefit, especially improvements to permanent installations that are likely to be steaming away long after even the TDi's replacements are scrapped.

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps if VW replaced our cars with Tesla Model 3s it would offset the near to long-term immediate environmental (meaning Nox and up stream diesel procurement) impacts. In addition provide us all with a Powerwall battery pack for in home usage, linking to solar photovoltaic systems and grid to accommodate the long term impacts.:D.

Not sure what will happen here in Canada, but am hoping the "fix" will be available for our '15 sig car with no performance loss. Would like to keep it a while yet as it is a nice rig and with only 28,000 Kms on it (bought the week before Dieselgate hit the news). Who knows maybe it will appreciate in valve?

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps if VW replaced our cars with Tesla Model 3s it would offset the near to long-term immediate environmental (meaning Nox and up stream diesel procurement) impacts. In addition provide us all with a Powerwall battery pack for in home usage, linking to solar photovoltaic systems and grid to accommodate the long term impacts.:D.
Not sure what will happen here in Canada, but am hoping the "fix" will be available for our '15 sig car with no performance loss. Would like to keep it a while yet as it is a nice rig and with only 28,000 Kms on it (bought the week before Dieselgate hit the news). Who knows maybe it will appreciate in valve?

I could get behind VW buying me a model 3 :D

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Who knows what VW will have on the market in 2 years - they are supposedly rushing out a couple electric models in the future. They may very well end up selling a few 'made to sell for a loss but to make people love us again' electric vehicles that might end up being quite attractive.

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
Who knows what VW will have on the market in 2 years - they are supposedly rushing out a couple electric models in the future. They may very well end up selling a few 'made to sell for a loss but to make people love us again' electric vehicles that might end up being quite attractive.
True, VW and many others are scrambling.....up until Tesla no one really took EV's seriously, now because their business model provides significant threats to ICE Vehicles (and other sectors), we will see in the next 4-5 years significant changes in the auto industry. I'm thinking the change over to EV's will be quicker than most will anticipate. Kinda like Kodak and 35mm film, cell phones etc. I think the general public are tired of the blatant greed of the petro sector (included in the mix, auto sector too), for a host of valid reasons. Tesla provides a refreshingly different biz model, like they don't advertise, you order your car on line, updates (to ride are done via wifi overnight), Weirder yet, they have deposits for in excess of 375,000 Model 3's.... Hmm what does that indicate.... You can be sure everyone in the auto industry and many other sectors are taking notice.

j

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
Indirectly the've got you thinking about it already.... Go Vee Dubb...:rolleyes: just think, no oil changes, HPFP failures, no liquid fuel or gas station price volatility. Sure there maybe recalls and growing pains with Tesla, however we have that now with VW and they intentionally planned and executed deceitfulness as a business practise and corporate culture! Oh ya and who pays for the $15+ Billion....Dieselgate :eek: current owners, future buyers, generally we do. Vee Dubb...stub of the century, epic stub. Don't get me wrong we like our sig ride... we've had it in for rear wheel bearing, rear wheel sensors, the dash rattles and with 28,000 Kms on it and a looming buy back, AdBlue increase, not sure ECM hack. All I can say with certainty is show us what you got Tesla...

j

Last edited:

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
True, VW and many others are scrambling.....up until Tesla no one really took EV's seriously, now because their business model provides significant threats to ICE Vehicles (and other sectors), we will see in the next 4-5 years significant changes in the auto industry. I'm thinking the change over to EV's will be quicker than most will anticipate. Kinda like Kodak and 35mm film, cell phones etc. I think the general public are tired of the blatant greed of the petro sector (included in the mix, auto sector too), for a host of valid reasons. Tesla provides a refreshingly different biz model, like they don't advertise, you order your car on line, updates (to ride are done via wifi overnight), Weirder yet, they have deposits for in excess of 375,000 Model 3's.... Hmm what does that indicate.... You can be sure everyone in the auto industry and many other sectors are taking notice.

j
To be fair, Tesla also doesn't make any money either.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Neither does GE:p;)
I know what you are saying, but there's a huge difference between 'false' earnings as it relates to taxes, and real losses that tesla operates under:

GE: $0.74/share (ttm)
TSLA: $-7.83/share (ttm)

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
I know what you are saying, but there's a huge difference between 'false' earnings as it relates to taxes, and real losses that tesla operates under:

GE: $0.74/share (ttm)
TSLA: $-7.83/share (ttm)
I hear you, I was just being a smart A$$.

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
For Tesla facing huge investments in infrastructure, systems and personnel, no question there are significant challenges and to be running at a loss is not unexpected, thought the forecast was to 2002? And with the demand for Model 3 pre sales showing huge, this will be (presumably) creating significant growth pains for Tesla. It would seem they are well versed in overcoming adversity, when the CEO, has a sleeping bag at the end of the assembly line, ready access to a conference room right there too, you'd better have your **** together working there.

VW.... Winterkorn, Muller et al, what if they'd had the dedication to ensure the TDi didn't have a defeat device, they would have known they couldn't meet EPA/CARB standards. Imagine if they put $15 Billion into research and development of truly clean diesel engines and/or EV's. How could you be so arrogant to think you wouldn't get caught, man thier corporate culture is out there.

I find it surprising that the AdBlue version TDi doesn't meet emissions? The research/production cost would be significant and then to not meet emissions and require a defeat device seems odd?

j

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I find it surprising that the AdBlue version TDi doesn't meet emissions? The research/production cost would be significant and then to not meet emissions and require a defeat device seems odd? j
The envirofreaks at CARB have had it out for diesel for decades. I'm surprised anything would meet their standards.

Heh, just noticed you put a ZF5 in a Powerstroke. Um, why?

Wait..nevermind.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
For Tesla facing huge investments in infrastructure, systems and personnel, no question there are significant challenges and to be running at a loss is not unexpected, thought the forecast was to 2002? And with the demand for Model 3 pre sales showing huge, this will be (presumably) creating significant growth pains for Tesla. It would seem they are well versed in overcoming adversity, when the CEO, has a sleeping bag at the end of the assembly line, ready access to a conference room right there too, you'd better have your **** together working there.

VW.... Winterkorn, Muller et al, what if they'd had the dedication to ensure the TDi didn't have a defeat device, they would have known they couldn't meet EPA/CARB standards. Imagine if they put $15 Billion into research and development of truly clean diesel engines and/or EV's. How could you be so arrogant to think you wouldn't get caught, man thier corporate culture is out there.

I find it surprising that the AdBlue version TDi doesn't meet emissions? The research/production cost would be significant and then to not meet emissions and require a defeat device seems odd?

j
The defeat device wasn't because they couldn't meet emissions standards, it was because they couldn't meet their performance and/or longevity targets WHILE meeting emissions standards. Without those performance numbers, very few TDi's would have sold, so there was a significant business pressure to just make it work.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
The envirofreaks at CARB have had it out for diesel for decades. I'm surprised anything would meet their standards.
Heh, just noticed you put a ZF5 in a Powerstroke. Um, why?
Wait..nevermind.
CARB has no reason or obligation to relax standards just to allow diesel passenger vehicles to be produced and sold when there are gasoline vehicles that CAN meet more stringent emissions standards. It's not about a hate towards diesel - it's a hate towards an environmentally inferior tech. CARB/EPA SHOULD be against that - that's their job.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
CARB has no reason or obligation to relax standards just to allow diesel passenger vehicles to be produced and sold when there are gasoline vehicles that CAN meet more stringent emissions standards. It's not about a hate towards diesel - it's a hate towards an environmentally inferior tech. CARB/EPA SHOULD be against that - that's their job.
It was one type of emissions that the volkswagen common rails output more than allowed. NOx is that emission. All other emissions are significantly less than a comparable gasoline powered car.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
This pains me to write but i figured I would get some input on here.
So knowing that something is coming from VW along the lines of either repair ( NERF) and cash or a buyback + cash I have started looking at replacements. I am afraid that if I let them neuter my TDI that I have loved over the past 5 years that it would kill me every time i drove her. So its looking more and more like I will be accepting the cash and letting her go.
With all this in mind I have started looking at replacements, I went by VW to see what they have and I was not super impressed ( fell in love with the jetta because of the diesel) So far my contenders are as follows:
1 Fusion Sport
2 Mazda 6
3 Accord Touring
4 Legacy.
Im curious as to what all everyone else is doing, accepting the repair or going to a new vehicle?
Give a Chevy Cruze Diesel a test drive too... Worth a try but probably smaller than the other cars on your list. So it might be too small for you. I replaced my 2006 Jetta TDI with a CPO 2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel on 4.30.16 and we are very happy with it so far!

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
It was one type of emissions that the volkswagen common rails output more than allowed. NOx is that emission. All other emissions are significantly less than a comparable gasoline powered car.
To be honest, NOx is the only emission I'm concerned with. But I live in a basin that likes to hold onto that crap and affects everyone's breathing for life.