TDI Fans – I got $76,098.73 for my 2015 A6 TDI with 146,179 miles

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Big props to Audi of America. In what may be the last of Audi’s “diesel buybacks,” I just sold my beloved 2015 A6 TDI with 146,179 miles back to Audi. I received a total of $76,098.73 from Audi/Bosch. I only paid $75,519.72, including sales tax, when I purchased the TDI back in 2014. So I actually received more than I paid for the TDI in 2014. Not only were the nearly eight years and 146,179 miles of ownership “free to me,” but the amazing torque of the TDI put plenty of smiles on my face over the years. I used the TDI and Audi’s buyback payment as a trade-in on my factory order of a 2022 A6 55 Prestige with the Luxury Package and the Black Optic Sport Package. Even in this day and age of so-called “market adjustments,” Audi priced the 2022 at 6% below MSRP. Needless to say, Audi treated me incredibly well on both ends of the transaction. After waiting nearly 13 months due to supply chain issues, I finally handed over the keys to my TDI and took delivery of the 2022 a few days ago. While the 2022 is amazing, I believe it will cost me more than my old TDI! LOL

Big thumbs up to Audi’s customer resolution and retention team and how they handled the buyback of my TDI. I can’t overstate how well I was treated by Audi.

Thank you Audi!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Big props to Audi of America. In what may be the last of Audi’s “diesel buybacks,” I just sold my beloved 2015 A6 TDI with 146,179 miles back to Audi. I received a total of $76,098.73 from Audi/Bosch. I only paid $75,519.72, including sales tax, when I purchased the TDI back in 2014.
Was it given to you? You said that you paid $75k+ for your 2015. I will more than likely never buy a new car again in my lifetime as it seems stupid to waste that kind of money on a severely depreciating asset like a car. Hopefully my Beetle will last me for some time. I just need transportation, not a luxury castle to drive around in. All it really needs is air conditioning, get rid of all those other things it comes with. Good for you though if you like it and can handle the cost!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Did you buy that in cash or was that financed? Yiu said you didn't spend that much.
So inflation and interest against the depreciation.... I'd say you did very well to get away like that.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Why did Audi buyback your vehicle? I've only heard of the 2013+ 3.0's bought back under lemon law (ie: dealer could not fix the vehicle after a certain amount of time and/or repair attempts).

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Why did Audi buyback your vehicle? I've only heard of the 2013+ 3.0's bought back under lemon law (ie: dealer could not fix the vehicle after a certain amount of time and/or repair attempts).
Under the EPA settlement upon getting the emissions fix the car was covered by a new 4 year/48k mile warranty and was subject to buyback/trade-in if it was in the shop for more than 30 days in the 18 months/18k miles following the fix (essentially a new lemon law period). Having owned a high mileage Audi previously, I waited until the last possible week to get the emissions fix, which was back in April 2020, in an effort to maximize the “return” on the new 4 year/48k warranty and take a run at the “lottery ticket” of a possible free car. By June of 2021 my TDI had spent more than 30 days in the shop following the emissions fix, thereby triggering the buyback/trade-in under the settlement. I elected to “trade-in” the TDI on a 2022 because NYS does not charge sales tax on the portion of a new car purchase that is paid for with a trade-in, which saved me approximately $6,000 in sales tax with the new car. I ordered the 2022 back in June of 2021 and Audi let me keep the TDI until the 2022 arrived. The 2022 arrive last week. It is a pretty remarkable set of events

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yep, nice dice roll..... and then we have some who are so unlucky that they cant even get a cv axle delivered in one piece.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Did you buy that in cash or was that financed? Yiu said you didn't spend that much.
So inflation and interest against the depreciation.... I'd say you did very well to get away like that.
I am a cash buyer. A car is a consumable.
i believe a car is a consumable, much like a couch or a bottle of wine. Buy what you can afford with cash and keep your investment assets in a separate “Pocket”. It has worked for me so far. But opinions may differ. Regardless, the 2014 payment will likely get me 16 years and 280,000 miles of car ownership, so not a bad return.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Smart move. I can't complain either- I took the $15k from my '11, 170k mile Golf buyback in 2017 and bought Tesla stock. No regrets!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my first Porsche was an 06 boxster, flew to texas and drive it back in 2014, got it for $3600, by the time i sold it i spend about 3 grand on the car in maintenance and repairs. I sold it last year before the move to CO for $10,500.... in decent shape but not the best.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Nice! I thought I did good selling back my passat after 4 years/40+k miles with $2k more than I bought it for new. No "fix" available, no option other than keep, get nothing or sell back. I have an A7 TDI now - I wouldn't sell it back for just about anything but I won't have any of the problems you ran into ;)

dandel

TDI
vw jetta sportswagen DSG
Under the EPA settlement upon getting the emissions fix the car was covered by a new 4 year/48k mile warranty and was subject to buyback/trade-in if it was in the shop for more than 30 days in the 18 months/18k miles following the fix (essentially a new lemon law period). Having owned a high mileage Audi previously, I waited until the last possible week to get the emissions fix, which was back in April 2020, in an effort to maximize the “return” on the new 4 year/48k warranty and take a run at the “lottery ticket” of a possible free car. By June of 2021 my TDI had spent more than 30 days in the shop following the emissions fix, thereby triggering the buyback/trade-in under the settlement. I elected to “trade-in” the TDI on a 2022 because NYS does not charge sales tax on the portion of a new car purchase that is paid for with a trade-in, which saved me approximately $6,000 in sales tax with the new car. I ordered the 2022 back in June of 2021 and Audi let me keep the TDI until the 2022 arrived. The 2022 arrive last week. It is a pretty remarkable set of events
I am in a similar situation with my 2013 Q7 TDI but it has been more than 18 months since I got the emissions fix, but less than 4 years since. My Q7 has been in the shop for almost a month and I would like Audi to buy it back.
Can you point me to where I can find the language in the settlement that discusses the triggering of buyback/trade-in under the settlement?
I searched under:

but could not find anything.

Many thanks!

Denny

dandel

TDI
vw jetta sportswagen DSG
Also, did you contact your local dealer or Audi America headquarters? Do you have a number I can call?

Thanks again!

Denny

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
I believe you may be out of time. I proceeded under Section 9.2 of Appendix A to the Consent Decree, which is available via the link you posted. There is also a link within the web site you posted for filing a claim.

dandel

TDI
vw jetta sportswagen DSG
I believe you may be out of time. I proceeded under Section 9.2 of Appendix A to the Consent Decree, which is available via the link you posted. There is also a link within the web site you posted for filing a claim.
Thanks for replying. I am indeed outside of the 18k miles/18 months period since I did the emissions modification, which was back in Jan 2018.
Bummer, I should have delayed the emissions modification until the latest time possible, if I had read all the appendix carefully.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Thanks for replying. I am indeed outside of the 18k miles/18 months period since I did the emissions modification, which was back in Jan 2018.
Bummer, I should have delayed the emissions modification until the latest time possible, if I had read all the appendix carefully.
I read and took advantage of the small print.:ROFLMAO: