TDImania

TDI
2011 Golf TDI CR
Check this video TDI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6YKfv4Ta24&playnext=1&list=PLCF35CEDCC489C15B

And now this one GTI:

http://www.youtube.com/user/InsideLineVideo#p/search/14/hMzHWJOre4w

The TDI wins !!

Better stopping distance, better high speed slalom, better skidpad !! AND BETTER MILEAGE !! ++ Lower maintenance cost.

Yes, all exept straight line acceleration, but not by much 1.x seconds.

What do you think ?

My GTI MKV was better than the GTI MKVI results I think. Does anybody has the slalom and skidpad results for the older generation ?

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
Yeah I love our TDI, but no. Yes it wins in fuel economy and it's a pretty fantastic ride, but my GTI is quicker, sportier, and has better handling. Blame it on me being an "amateur" driver if you want, but seeing as I drive the two regularly, I have a pretty good basis for comparison.

TDImania

TDI
2011 Golf TDI CR
The test show clearly the TDI is better by quite a good margin.

TDI: stop 121 feet, slalom 69mph, skidpad 89g

GTI: 128 feet, slalom 67mph, skid 83g

I know the 17'' of the TDI is the best size for braking and cornering usually, but still the gti came with better rubber.. the wheel weight has nothing to to with these results, acceleration/deceleration maybe.

Last edited:

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
The GTI's chassis isn't any better balanced through steady-state corners, it's just that the GTI comes from the factory with slightly less sucky all-season tires. They're both very neutral in the corners.

Personally I don't put much [any] stock in media testing. Slalom testing has no bearing on real-world handling, IMO. That said, having owned both cars, the GTI handles marginally better in real life, mainly due to the tires. The marginally stiffer sway bars help in transitions.

Last edited: