TDI ABS Module and Pump Issue

dwf

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
2009 TDI Jetta 110K Miles VIN letter K

Issue: While driving at hwy speed the ABS light came on.

Dealer (Georgetown, TX) diagnosed the isssue as an abs module failure

Used module and pump about $150
New module from dealer $1500
Dealer Labor $700

I'm told it's dealer only serviceable b/c of the coding and bleeding procedure. I generally do my own wrenching, love the car but about ready to get rid of it for this reason. It appears to be a simple job to replace the components. Do I have any alternative other than paying the piper or opening up my own VW dealership service center? Please don't give me the it's the brake and for saftey sake pay the dealer for a new unit. A new or used functioning part should be what matters. Nothing against the dealer or mechanic I just expect to be able to fix a vehicle when I need to and I'm 150 mile from the nearest dealer.

Thanks

dwf

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
SCG - Service rep said he was going to talk to the parts department. I bought the car from them in 09 was on their waiting list about 6 months. The mechanic said it was a part failure and there was nothing that could have prevented it. $2200 at 110K miles add big time to operational cost, this negates the whole point of fuel efficiency -vs- a guzzler (MHO). I can't verify but it seems there has been some very strange ABS issues with 09 VWs in general.

PS-I liked these cars so much I now have 3 TDI Jettas 05.5, 09, & 12.

Last edited:

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
$700 labour to replace the module and the pump seems excessive to me! (I am a frugal driver).

There are 4 speed sensors that are used to tell the rotational speed of each wheel. from there the signal goes to the ABS module that counts the number of pulse sensations for each wheel, and determines if any of the wheels are rolling slower than the rest (or zero, indicating that it is skidding and no longer rolls).

The ABS "Pump", is actually a solenoid module that will apply brake fluid into each of the brake lines.

Somehow, I have my doubts that the "pump" portion is going defective, as it is a simple electrical to mechanical conversion.

Given, the reason d'etre [[Google translate= reason of being]] of having a low priced High Miles Per Gallon car, is to save on overall driving costs, it seems imprudent to be spending $2K on a single repair for an '09 (IMHO).

If even 1 of the sensors do not read the pulsations, you will get the "ABS" lite on the dash, but I am assuming that the mechanics have eliminated that possibility at this time. ((When I assume something, I usually am proven wrong, so I don't do it often)).

Try seeing if a similar part is available from a wrecker's yard, and how much it would be. It could easily be 25% of the factory price, for a serviceable product.

Is there no nearer indy mechanic who has any experience with ABS systems nearby. 150 miles seems a bit far for the nearest VW dealership.

[[Edit : add link from 'pissed consumer.com' re one dealer experience in Georgetown, TX. not sure if same dealership but apt.] ]http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/hewlett-vw.html

The "recommended mechanics list' has a link to a Google Map search aid, it shows two listings nearby to Austin TX. One in Austin directly, and another in Spicewood TX. IF the car still runs ok, just has the lite on, then my 1st impression is to bring it to an indy shop instead of the dealership(I am frugal)

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Get your own VCDS from Ross-tech.com and you can do you own bleeding and coding.
Even the top of the line cable will pay for itself on this one job. Saving you around $1000 or more. I believe the bleeding procedures should be listed in their wiki for your year and model.

If you have 3 VW s then you are overdue for a VCDS purchase.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Really not sure how it works on the 09 but I had a weird abs issue recently that suggested the module was faulty, abs light on and a code I can't remember. After a bit of googling however I simply unplugged the thing then plugged it back in, problem fixed.

Might be worth a go seeing as it's super cheap as in free

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
The ABS "Pump", is actually a solenoid module that will apply brake fluid into each of the brake lines.
The ABS pump does have a pump section and a solenoid section, along with a electronics module.

The solenoids can both release and apply pressure to the calipers. One source of pressure is via the master cylinder being pressed by your foot. The other is a small pump that ensures that pressurized fluid is always available independent of how hard you're pressing the pedal.

If you look at a VW ABS pump, the cylindrical part on top is the pump, the square aluminum section is the solenoids and the black plastic box below is the electronics.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I fixed it. Module was hosed.

Did it twice actually. First time I sent it off to module masters and it was exactly as dead when I got it back. Watch out for those guys. They told me they could fix it no problem. At least they refunded my money.