TDI 2000-2003 into TDI 1999.5

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I would like to know how complicated it is to swap the electronics out of a 2000 into a 1999.5. Having both cars side by side, is it possible to have two running car at the end with everything working out well?

Also, to spice up the challenge, the 2000 is a Golf GL TDI and the 1999.5 is a Golf GLS TDI with the comfort module. Both use a manual transmission.

Any info or tips are welcomed

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
why the swap. You would probably have to gut the interiors and swap the body harness and any of the electrical items that aren't in each car.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I currenly have 3 cars. I want to keep 2. The one I don't want to keep is the one with my PD130 6speed conversion. I wanted to transfer everything in my 1999 mk4 Golf but I have the feeling this is going to be too complicated.

The other car is a Wagon TDI 2005 but she will be driving it. I could plug my drivetrain in that car and put the pd100 5 speed in the 2000 Golf and sell this Golf too but the issue is that she will be playing with my toys... :)

Last edited:

roundout

Veteran Member
TDI
5 speed ALH
If you have running cars you're tired of, I'd just sell them.

I swapped a 2002 TDI drivetrain and wiring into a 1999.5 gas body with a wreck because I had lots of time on my hands and I got the donor body for $800. The swap wasn't difficult but it took a long time and cost a couple hundred bucks (think coolant, A/C, power steering fluid, mounts, TTY hardware, etc). It sounds like you want to leave the drivetrain in place but swap wiring harnesses? Doesn't make any sense to me.

You do have to completely gut the interior and dash to get the wiring harness out - it's all one piece.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I want to swap the drivetrain/harness of a 2000 in a 1999.5, back and forth since I would rather keep the 1999.5 shell instead of the 2000 but, since it's much more than just bolting up the drivetrain, i'll leave them as-is