TB Bolt question?

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf TDI, '00 Jetta TDI(SOLD), '84 Rabbit 5sp NA(SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI(SOLD)
In the pre-TB replacement interview, my closest ''trusted mechanic" tells me that he does not usually replace the TTY bolts and that he has never had a problem with them. If I request that this be done anyway, how will I actually know unless I babysit the entire process and risk making him mad, hence possibly overlooking something else that may need attention just to get me out of his hair? He quoted me a price, which sounds fair, but what is a fair ballpark for the tb and metal vane wp r&r?.........
Both of the TDIs are about due.....

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
find a new mechanic. is the one you refer to on the list here? out them.

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
He is on the list, but by his own admission he does not know how he got there, He told me on the phone that all the rollers would be replaced and the wp would be replaced with a metal vane pump, so he sems to know what he is doing except for the bolt issue...... I believe I am mechanically inclined enough to do the job, and I have two TDIs and plan to keep them forever. I wonder what the cost comparison would be to buy the tools and parts to do it myself. He claims one day. Any other thoughts?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you own two and plan to keep them long term, and are mechanically inclined, able to follow directions, and have basic tools, then buy the tools and do the job yourself. They will pay for themselves the first time you use them :).

Metalnerd tools work very well. Get a kit for both ALH and PD. Dieselgeek.com will have a list of the tools.

That "Trusted Mechanics" list should be used with great caution. there is no policing of that list. Anyone can recommend themselves or others with no real proof.

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
Tom, my sentiments as well on the tools, Aaron (boraparts) is willing to deal on the tools so I don't have to buy two complete kits with duplicate stuff. As far as the list goes, you are right there too, that is why I posted after the interview. I may out him later, but for now I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has no contact info listed, so further research is required before one can talk to him. Anyone inclined enough to do said research should by default exercise due dilligence before hiring. just my .02

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
nogassershere said:
... Anyone inclined enough to do said research should by default exercise due dilligence before hiring. just my .02
excellent advice!!!

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
nogassershere said:
In the pre-TB replacement interview, my closest ''trusted mechanic" tells me that he does not usually replace the TTY bolts and that he has never had a problem with them. If I request that this be done anyway, how will I actually know unless I babysit the entire process and risk making him mad, hence possibly overlooking something else that may need attention just to get me out of his hair? He quoted me a price, which sounds fair, but what is a fair ballpark for the tb and metal vane wp r&r?.........
Both of the TDIs are about due.....
If you trust him to do the work right, but not to replace the bolts, order the bolts and mark them with an invisible ink, something on the bolt head. Tell him you want your old bolts back as souvenirs. You will have to do a lot of extra work, but we'll know for sure whether this mechanic is honest or not. ;)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
We all know that many (most?) dealerships and old-time VW garages typically do not replace the vertical engine mount bolts, and although I'm a firm believer in replacing them, there really hasn't been an epidemic of VW 1.8, 1.9, and 2.0 L. engines falling out following timing belt replacements.

However, IMHO, it's much more important to replace the bolt that holds the large idler just in front of the water pump, as if that one goes, most likely you're in for a new engine...

Does your semi-trusted mechanic replace that one, at least???

Yuri

PS: I would just download the how-to's from this website and do it yourself...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
there have been enough reports of re-used engine mount bolts breaking over the years i've been on this board. no one who doesn't replace them as standard practice belongs on the "trusted mechanics" list. end of story.

jwpierce3

TDI
tb

I just did my belt before a long trip out west. I ordered the kit and the tools and used the instructions offered here. Went smooth. Being mechanically inclined you should have no problem doing it yourself. It might take you a whole day to do it the first time, but once done self satisfaction goes through the roof.

If your interested I live in Mississippi, and I would be more than happy to help you change or replace it in your garage for you.

If you follow the procedure, specifically ensuring top dead center on cam, crank, and ip, there should be NO problems.

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
WOW JW, that is quite an offer, I think I will be doing the job myself, and I believe I can handle it with a little help from Sir Betley and some rented tools. Btw, how are things in Gulfport? I spent six months out there after Katrina, mostly cleaning up south of the railroad tracks. Mr Applewhite was very generous in letting us stay at the golf course untill the riff-raff ruined things. The wealth of knowlege on here and the willingness of the TDI community to lend a hand always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It would be nice to have somebody with experience looking over my shoulder the first time.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
i had my TB changed and they didnt get the new bolts seated right. on the advice of oilhammer, i was instructed to undo and redo the engine mounts the right way. he stressed it very much, saying that hes seen the engine sideways in cars that have the bolts reused or not seated the right way.

joeperry25

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Where are you in Alabama. I have all the tools and a Vagcom. Lemme know if you need to use them. I am up on the AL/TN line. Have a shop with a lift if you are close enough that you could use to do the work in too. Lemme know. I am usually out at the shop 1-2 nights per week.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Why a mechanic would not want to change the bolts is beyond me? There is no extra work involved, simply reinstalling new bolts instead of the old bolts.

I have seen firsthand where an engine fell out and broke the ear off the block, because someone reused the stretch bolts.

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
Joe, I am going to have to locate a vagcom, but I am afraid I may need to look closer. I am not far from Florida, like about 8 miles from the state line, only about an hour from Destin, FL. I really hope I don't have to tow it to the stealership in Panama City to have the timing reset after I get the tb done.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if the engine was running well, there is probably no timing adjustment necessary. don't let the lack of vcds stop you from replacing the tb. injection timing can be adjusted after the fact.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
nogassershere said:
I really hope I don't have to tow it to the stealership in Panama City to have the timing reset after I get the tb done.
If you lock everything down properly, the car should be driveable... If it doesn't start, then chances are you got the pin in the wrong place in the injection pump... the so-called "sucker" hole... Use an inspection mirror before putting in the pin, to make sure you're trying to fit it into a round hole that's in line with the slot at the front of the hub...

Good luck!!! Just take your time and re-read all the instructions (and follow Oldpoopie's checkoff list !!!!!)

Yuri

PS: I assume we're talking about your ALH motor...

Last edited:

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
ymz, no the ALH is about 20k away from being due again, the PD is the one that needs to be done. I will definitely check out oldpoopie's checklist, as well as the bentley.
Yes Tom, it is currently running well.