T2B5 TDI Exhaust Valve maintenance

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Basically, I need to know if this can lead to other issues? I'm going to try to lube and manually move the valve to break it loose as well.
Simple answer is yes, it can cause other problems, so it should be fixed as soon as possible. This is what the book says about the effect of failure of this part.

"If the Throttle Valve Control Module fails, the correct
regulation of exhaust gas recirculation rate is not
possible. Regeneration of the NOx storage catalyst
does not take place."

Your DPF might regenerate, but your NOx storage catalyst will not. I don't think you want to know what it would cost to replace that part.

However, the good news is that there is a directive from VW to replace these parts for free with a newer (improved?) version up to 100k or 120k miles (IIRC). It is worth talking to your VW dealer.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I doubt that 700 miles will cause serious problems, but I would get it fixed as soon as possible.

Last edited:

WorkCarTDI

TDI
2010 TDI Sportswagon
Simple answer is yes, it can cause other problems, so it should be fixed as soon as possible. This is what the book says about the effect of failure of this part.

"If the Throttle Valve Control Module fails, the correct
regulation of exhaust gas recirculation rate is not
possible. Regeneration of the NOx storage catalyst
does not take place."

Your DPF might regenerate, but your NOx storage catalyst will not. I don't think you want to know what it would cost to replace that part.

However, the good news is that there is a directive from VW to replace these parts for free with a newer (improved?) version up to 100k or 120k miles (IIRC). It is worth talking to your VW dealer.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I doubt that 700 miles will cause serious problems, but I would get it fixed as soon as possible.
Thank you for the advice. I will try to unstick the valve myself while it is still on the car. After that I will take it into the shop and pay the $600.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Thank you for the advice. I will try to unstick the valve myself while it is still on the car. After that I will take it into the shop and pay the $600.
It is actually very easy to remove and replace. There are just 2 allen screws (6mm, IIRC), one on each clamp, tap with a hammer to loosen, and out it comes. They can often be freed up easier when out of the car. VW should pay for it, but if not (for some reason) it is easy to do yourself if you have ramps to get the front of the car off the ground. There is no way it should cost $600. If VW won't pay for it - find a competent mechanic who won't gouge you. It's an easy repair.

Have Fun!

Don