Switched 12V off Fuse Block

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I'm hardwiring a dash cam. Is there an empty fuse slot on the Mk3 that's switched that would work for the add-a-fuse connector?

The cam will also do 24/7 recording, but I'd prefer to have it switched to the ignition to mitigate battery drain.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm hardwiring a dash cam. Is there an empty fuse slot on the Mk3 that's switched that would work for the add-a-fuse connector?

The cam will also do 24/7 recording, but I'd prefer to have it switched to the ignition to mitigate battery drain.
I'm not sure there's any fuses that aren't completely unused, but there are some with limited load based on the equipment, especially a 97 Jetta TDI because those did not have any power accessories typically, except maybe power roof panel.

I would find the junction block ( colored boxes above the fuse box itself) that has harness D wire 9 or 11, those junction blocks are there to share power to other accessories and D9 and D11 get power from fuse 14, which is start run power. There's more than likely available space to tap power from one of those junction blocks. Harness D is a "misc equipment" harness anyway. Both D9 and D11 are black wires.

Steve