sunroof acting weird

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI/5spd swap
I just got my mk4 jetta out of storage, before that, I was getting a complete color change. It's been a long time. Close to 2 years now.
When I was taking my car apart, the sunroof was closed so I could take glass out.
I lost the sunroof controls, went to the wreckers the other day and got two.
The wreckers car had the sunroof was closed.
When I taking the car apart, 2 years ago, I don't remember if I used the allen key to retract to the open position.
Too much pot smoking when I was younger.
Question is, do the controls and sunroof have to be synchronized with each other, meaning if the controls was removed with sunroof closed and I manually opened the SR open, would it mess things up?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It should be self resetting. Just key on, rotate to any setting, then back to closed. It should sync up.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Vent, just the back glass go up and down, doesn't work.
Manually tried the vent open, installed the controls, vent doesn't close.
Manually closed the vent, installed the controls, opens SR but not right selector position.
The control was in closed position, straight towards back seats I believe, and the SR was opening.
Manually opened the SR, then connected the controls, but it's just not syncing up, no matter what I do. Manually open the SR half way it's just not syncing up.
And SR vent option just doesn't work on both controls no matter what I do.
I tried SO many things, it's just not syncing up.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What year was the donor car controls out of? I know there was a split year where they changed manufacture foe the sunroof. I don't know if they're compatible, but one version has a knob that you twist and goes full open, the other is most twist goes most open, but then there's a spring resistant bit you have to hold it to open the remainder of the way. My 03 uses the second version, whereas my friends 02 golf has the older style.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
but one version has a knob that you twist and goes full open, the other is most twist goes most open, but then there's a spring resistant bit you have to hold it to open the remainder of the way.
Do both controls look the same?

What year was the donor car controls out of?
I don't know what years the controls were out of, but I do remember one of the cars, a golf, the manufacture of the motor was different.

Webasto is the sunroof motor that I have.
The other is Rockwell/Meritor 09 to 2002

I have a 03 Jetta Wagon

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Both controls look similar, but have different drawings on them.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
It works now
Used a post from https://www.passatworld.com/threads/how-to-resetting-sunroof-0-position.315456/

If your sunroof refuses to close fully when the potentiometer is in the "roof closed" position, this is what you need to do:
  1. Take off the sunroof motor cover.
  2. Get the sunroof as close to the fully closed position as possible, either by messing with the switch a bit or using the "emergency operation" hex key located on the back of the sunroof motor cover. If you're using the key and the sunroof seems a bit hard to move, try pushing the key in a bit further. The sunroof should then become much easier to move.
  3. Detach the sunroof motor. It is held in place with three T25 screws. One of the screws is a bit hard to reach, so if your Torx bits aren't long enough, you might be able to get by with removing only two screws.
  4. With the harness still attached to the motor, turn the ignition on. If you weren't able to remove one of the screws in step 3, tilt the motor a bit so that it is able to move about freely. Cycle the sunroof switch through the following positions: roof tilted, roof closed, roof opened, roof closed.
  5. Keep the ignition on and re-attach the motor. The Bentley manual discourages from re-using the screws, but I didn't see a problem with it. The torque spec is 3.5 Nm.
  6. Test the sunroof operation. Everything should now be back to normal.

If you happen to be swapping the motor on a properly-working sunroof, make sure that: the ignition is off, a door is open, and sunroof is in the closed position. Otherwise, you'll have to reset the motor using the steps above.

The same info-base/DIY disclaimer applies: neither I nor PassatWorld or its members are responsible for any damage you may have caused to your car by following the steps in this how-to.

Rowan Lyon

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon GLS 1.9 TDI BEW
Frost damage to the carriage assembly on my sunroof causes it to randomly open. It opening in -30 is an unbelievable pain. Is there a fuse I can pull instead if disconnecting the motor ever winter.

The window is 3mm out. The back one corner flush (passenger side) and the other rear (drivers side) recessed causing summer water leak North American car. That is why I say the metal carriage is twisted it will not retract the window into the car to fully open.
This question is more about what fuse can I pull or add a quick disconnect for winter.

2006 Jetta Sportwagon GLS clearly tdi!

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Try fuse 30.
Not sure if the 06 fuse numbers are the same as the 03 list I have.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
It works now.
Please stop replying to post.
It works now
Used a post from https://www.passatworld.com/threads/how-to-resetting-sunroof-0-position.315456/

If your sunroof refuses to close fully when the potentiometer is in the "roof closed" position, this is what you need to do:
  1. Take off the sunroof motor cover.
  2. Get the sunroof as close to the fully closed position as possible, either by messing with the switch a bit or using the "emergency operation" hex key located on the back of the sunroof motor cover. If you're using the key and the sunroof seems a bit hard to move, try pushing the key in a bit further. The sunroof should then become much easier to move.
  3. Detach the sunroof motor. It is held in place with three T25 screws. One of the screws is a bit hard to reach, so if your Torx bits aren't long enough, you might be able to get by with removing only two screws.
  4. With the harness still attached to the motor, turn the ignition on. If you weren't able to remove one of the screws in step 3, tilt the motor a bit so that it is able to move about freely. Cycle the sunroof switch through the following positions: roof tilted, roof closed, roof opened, roof closed.
  5. Keep the ignition on and re-attach the motor. The Bentley manual discourages from re-using the screws, but I didn't see a problem with it. The torque spec is 3.5 Nm.
  6. Test the sunroof operation. Everything should now be back to normal.

If you happen to be swapping the motor on a properly-working sunroof, make sure that: the ignition is off, a door is open, and sunroof is in the closed position. Otherwise, you'll have to reset the motor using the steps above.

The same info-base/DIY disclaimer applies: neither I nor PassatWorld or its members are responsible for any damage you may have caused to your car by following the steps in this how-to.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Your Welcome. :)
Also have a nice day.
Assuming you don't mind me telling you what to do. 😆