Summer road trip WITH wife and kids

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf TDI, '00 Jetta TDI(SOLD), '84 Rabbit 5sp NA(SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI(SOLD)
I have made my first long road trip in the TDI Jetta this summer. TOTALLY IMPRESSED! I have two young children, (three and four at the time) still in car seats. We ran out of room while packing (for two different climates) so I had to improvise. I took the rear seat cushions out and folded the seat backs down and secured the car seats with the LATCH hooks. I am 6'2" tall and this also grreatly increased my leg room in the drivers' seat. I went down to my local wally world and found a trunk mount bicycle rack on clearance as well as a water rersistant zipper bag to hold the rest of our stuff. I put the seat cishions into the bag and some of the kids outside toys as well. The bag fit quite well onto the bike rack, I didn't want to put it on the roof, I was afraid of the wind resistance affecting my mileage too much. The rest of the car was packet to the brim and we set out on our trip weighing in at just under 4000 lbs. We (mostly I) drove about 1800 miles straight through to Phoenix where we stayed about 8 days. I had to replace the primary cooling fan there, the $80.00 salvage yard fan that I installed before leaving home didn't last. A new one at the VW dealer there was about $260.00 Well worth it when the AC won't work while sitting still in 115 degree heat! Left there and took the scenic route up through Utah and then on to the Seattle area where we stayed about another 10 days or so.
Eventually it was time to head for home, We came back southeast to Moab, Utah and drove around Arches National Park for a few hours, then to Denver, Co. and on to St Louis, Mo. Where we stayed three nights and got to see my new nephew get baptised. Twelve driving hours after leaving STL. we were back home.
The whole trip took about four weeks and totalled right at 7,500 miles. The Jetta was completely amazing, a little cramped, but still totally amazing. We bought the car on EBAY about eight months before the trip with 167,000 miles on it, and it is my first TDI. The power and economy are unequaled. Most of the interstate miles were around 75 mph, and sometimes closer to 80. Average mpg was just a hare under 40. Our normal mileage stays around 43 to 45 with an 80 mile commute (round trip) every day on two lane roads and a couple of small cities. Some people say that I should've gotten better mileage, but I figured with the weight, speed, and added wind drag, 40 seemed great!
The bulk of the 7500 miles was driven in 8 days and I can not say enough good things about the vw. I have two diesel pickups, the Jetta and an older Mk 2 Golf diesel. I can't see ever going back to gasoline. The only thing I own that has spark plugs is the lawn mower. Oil burners Rule!!!!!
This trip was taken in June and July of 2008 and I paid between $4.44 and $4.88 for fuel, with a total fuel cost of about $1000.00
The kids did great and my wife actually had a good time too, I think she covered about eight hours of the drive for me ha ha ha. I am thinking maybe the northeast next summer, ideas anyone??