Stutter When Accelerating

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
For just the last few days, my 2004 Jetta TDI will stutter mildly when I'm accelerating such as to pass a car. If I accelerate slowly, or normally it does not stutter.
Any suggestions where to start looking for the cause?
Thanks
Brian

Last edited:

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
Fyi, one more symptom. The car normally will keep pulling hard up to 4K, but now it starts tapering off at 3K and totally quits pulling at 3.5K.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Have you ever had the in-tank lift pump replaced? Got any CEL or hidden DTC's?

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
Thanks for the fast reply. Nope, never replaced the lift pump, and I have no CEL. The car starts fine and as long as I drive it easy, it behaves and accelerates fine

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
Fyi, one more symptom. The car normally will keep pulling hard up to 4K, but now it starts tapering off at 3K and totally quits pulling at 3.5K.
Why are you at such high RPMs in the 1st place???!!!

There are gobs of torque at low, low RPMs. I used to upshift with my '98 Jetta TDI at 1,800 RPM. With our '09 Jetta TDI, I upshift at 1,700 RPM into every next gear.

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
After driving it more today I would have to say that it feels more like the turbo surging when under heavy acceleration, trying to boost then stopping. No odd noises at all.

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
Here's one more piece of the puzzle. I let the car sit for several hours and get cold. When I drove it home it did not do the stuttering at all. It pulled easy up to 4K.

So, it only seems to do the "stuttering under acceleration" and having limited total acceleration to just over 3K, only once it's warmed up.

Does that make any sense?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
going thru the same issue right now

Fuel filter , my in tank pump is new

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
fuel filter and setting cam timing from 2.9 to 0 settled it for me

Nice to have the power back

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
Sorry this took so long to update. It was my fuel filter. It was almost completely clogged. I must have gotten some really bad diesel somewhere. I do remember several months before this started, being at a station and the pump took FOREVER to fill up my car. Their tanks must have been REALLY low and sucking up all the crap from the bottom.

After changing the fuel filter it no longer hesitates, and pulls hard all the way to 4K like it normally did.

So, lesson learned. If I stop to get fuel and it pumps really slow, .. STOP immediately and go somewhere else.