Sticky RPMs then smoke

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
With my Jetta that is a 2005.5, 160K, new cam, lifters, and TB kit at about 147K; once a week, or maybe once every two weeks, when accelerating from a stop, the RPMs will freeze at about 2000, and not increase. Applying more throttle does not increase the RPMs, it just stays at about 2000. Looking at the boost gauge, it seems to be at about 5 or 10 psi. When I upshift to 2nd, smoke dumps out the tailpipe, and RPMs increase as normal, and the car accelerates without any problems. It will not happen again until another week or so.
If I keep my foot on the throttle, the car will slow down some, then the RPMs will start to rise, and smoke dumps out the tailpipe.
I have noticed that it occurs after the car is warm and has been idling for minutes, like at a drive-in window. This seems to have started a couple of months ago, and may be occurring more often.
Scanning with VCDS, provides no error codes.
Any ideas??

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/DSG,2002 Jetta w/ 01m,99 Jetta
I have an 06 with dsg that has the same kind of symptoms, except it seems to do it when cold too sometimes, maybe after letting it warm up a little but i haven't paid much attention. I have no idea what causes it though.