Sticky/dying Ignition Switch

Steve777

Veteran Member
Our A4 Golf is running great, except it is starting to have problems with the ignition switch.

At first it just didn't recognize when the key was pulled out (didn't turn off radio or pop the door locks). But if you whacked it or put the key back in and out that usually fixed it. Now it has gotten to the point where no amount of fiddling will get it to recognize that the key has been removed. And a couple of times the key doesn't unlock the tumblers.

My original theory was the switch mechanism that senses the key being there just got dirty. So I tried some WD40 in the tumbler. That did not really do much. Might still be dirt, but there would appear to be too much to wash away with some spray.

Any suggestions as to what this might be, and what needs cleaning/replacing to fix it?

And any guidance on how to remove the cowling around the ign switch to get to the innards?

TIA

Steve777

Veteran Member
Thanks Keaton. Good description of how to access the innards under the cowl.

But one thing which is not clear, to me anyway, is what is causing the issue of the "switch" not recognizing when the key is pulled out of the lock. Is that due to something in the electrical switch part, or is this due to the mechanics of the lock tumbler and mechanism (or maybe both)? FWIW, it sounds like a mechanical thing, in that before, if you gave it a hit, you could hear something click and it recognized the key out. I just have no clue whether the "stuck clicker thing" is in the replaceable electric switch part which is relatively easy to replace, or the mechanical lock part. For the folks with obvious electrical stuff, like the engine dying while the key is on, this is simple. But I have not found anything on just not recognizing the key out.

So can someone who has had this problem before, or has had this apart and looked at it tell me, how is the key out detected? Is it all in the electric switch part? All in the mechanical part, or are both involved?

Again TIA.