Steeringwheel controls retrofit

ScottSutcliffe

TDI
2014 TDI Wagon
I have a 09 TDI Wagon that does not have steering wheel controls for radio. Is there any way to retrofit the wheel to add the radio and other controls?
Thanks.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
ScottSutcliffe said:
I have a 09 TDI Wagon that does not have steering wheel controls for radio. Is there any way to retrofit the wheel to add the radio and other controls?
Thanks.
Yes, I'm in the middle of doing this myself (and I've learned a LOT). First you will need to buy (either new or used) a Multi-Function Steering wheel and a new MFSW harness. You may (or may not) need a new steering wheel control module. Do you have access to Vag-Com? A Vag-Com autoscan should tell me if your controller will work or not. I suggest you read this thread, it has all of the part numbers you need and more (including a link with full installation instructions).

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225587

You probably will need to get (or find somebody with) a copy of VCDS (Vag-Com). You will probably have to change the controller's coding no matter what. Without VCDS, you will have to talk a dealer into changing the coding, and Pay them for their time. Be careful if you have to buy a new controller, for everything to work out right - you will need a controller with software version 0110 or higher. This way all of the steering wheel buttons and the stalk mounted buttons will all work correctly. (I learned this the hard way)

Have Fun!

Don

ScottSutcliffe

TDI
2014 TDI Wagon
Steering Wheel Retrofit

Thanks a lot. The work looks a little daunting to me. Let me know how you make out. I miss the audio/Ipod control on the wheel in particular.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Scott,

There is a lot to properly doing this conversion. Some of which Don has already explained.

If you are looking for a steering wheel, I have one for sale here.

That harness more than likely won't work for you as I am pretty sure (as Don explained to me), The dual connector harnesses were used on the early MkV's. Yours is most likely a single purple plug.

You may also need to get a new Steering wheel control module, slip ring (also called a clockspring), airbag harness, possibly a turn signal lever, and some vag-com coding. All depending on how your car is equipped now.

There is a BIG write up by a guy called The.Ronin on Vortex detailing a MFSW swap. Just search the MkV forums for Retrofit using his username and you should find it.

strictlysmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
golf IV
so let me get this straight when i install the mfsw on my wife's vehicle the controls on the stalk and the ones on the steering wheel will both work ?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Actually, I believe that is a problem that Don ran into.

With the coding of the SWCM, it can only select one or the other. But I believe since don had both hooked up, it was confusing the SWCM. and they weren't working properly.

If he has fitted the wiper switch I sold him, he can answer if it works properly or not.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I have not yet tried the switchless wiper stalk (from Fixmy59bug). Here is what I've learned so far.

You can get the steering wheel controls AND the wiper stalk controls to control the MFD, however when it is set up this way - the left side steering wheel buttons do not work to control the radio volume (they do nothing). If you change the coding (in the control module) you can get the buttons on both sides of the steering wheel to work, but the wiper stalk buttons are dead (only the steering wheel buttons work). The only problem with this setup is that there is an fault code stored in the steering wheel controller that says that the controller is not correctly coded. Everything works, but there is a fault code.

In other words, it appears to be impossible to have ALL the buttons on the steering wheel work correctly AND to have the wiper stalk buttons work at the same time. You must either replace the wiper stalk with one without MFD buttons, or live with a fault code. This second option is what I am currently living with. I am living with this option mainly because I am tired of pulling off the steering wheel and playing with it. I have had it apart 4 or 5 times already. One of these weekends, I will probably replace the wiper stalk with the one with no buttons, and the fault code should go away. What it boils down to is that if you want the steering wheels buttons to all work, you cannot have the wiper stalk buttons also working. You must choose between wheel buttons or stalk buttons if you want the radio volume buttons to work. Sad, but true.

Have Fun!

Don

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Not as stupid as someone who comes in and resurrects a 6 YEAR old thread with nothing pertinent to contribute!!!!!!

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
any way to just make the MF steering wheel buttons JUST light up? I put a MF on my 04' and just figured out how to get that wheel to work with my horn (use the old airbag/wheel harness, since all I wanted/needed is horn and airbag function). Backlit buttons would be sweet even though they won't be functional (for now-I have a aftermarket radio, not stock).