Steering still feels loose

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V w/AFN swap, 2011 JSW with a leaking pano
I have a 96 B4V, 160'ish k, and recently put in the IDParts suspension refresh kit, which includes replaced control arm bushings, outside ball joints (didn't do the insides, I didn't want to do all the extra work to get to them) would the inside ball joints make a big difference? New wheel bearings, and replaced a power steering pump that killed itself, and had it aligned.
The steering has improved quite a bit, but it still has that loose feeling to it. I've noticed after the suspension refresh, that on the freeway at 60mph and above, when I let off on the gas pedal it pulls to the left, and on the gas it pulls to the right. Also, when turning the wheel, it doesn't have the same tension/feel all through the entire arc (or whatever you call it). The farther to either all the way left or all the way right it will have a looser feel to it. Is this a steering rack failing? There isn't any leaking from it that I've found. PS fluid is full.
My wife drives a gas B5.5, and that steering has a nice and tight feel to it. I know that's a whole different car, but there must be something I can do to get my B4V tightened up.
any suggestions?
thanks for all the help

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
You didn't replace the tie rods (w/ inner ends)? Those are a common wear point and can cause loose steering. Another common issue is loose rack mounting bolts.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
...when I let off on the gas pedal it pulls to the left, and on the gas it pulls to the right...
Classic symptom of a loose / failed inner tie rod. Ask me how I know!:eek:

AS Chris said, replace them both. And, while you are in there, replace the steering rack boots. Use Reinz or OEM boots. Meyle doesn't last.

Tony

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Classic symptom of a loose / failed inner tie rod. Ask me how I know!:eek:

AS Chris said, replace them both. And, while you are in there, replace the steering rack boots. Use Reinz or OEM boots. Meyle doesn't last.

Tony
I concur--just did a complete rebuild on mine (including inner tie rods) and it rides nice and tight, and tracks true.

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V w/AFN swap, 2011 JSW with a leaking pano
I knew I should have done the inners when I was doing all the other stuff. Do I really need to drop the sub-frame to get access though?

thanks again for the input.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
No...but is an exercise for someone with large hands. Smaller hands help, a little :rolleyes: when installing the rack boots.

You will need an inner tie rod removal tool. This is the one I have. IIRC, I had to file the 1-3/16" open a little more to fit over the hex end of the tie rod end. This one might work.

Tony