Starting to wonder if there's a special trick to pouring PowerService from the 64/80 ounce jugs....

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Been using PowerService additive in my ALH for years now, primarily for lubricity to maximize IP life - Silver in the warmer months, White in the winter to enhance anti-gel factors. Run about 8oz/fillup (once upon a time, I had a PS bottle that said 4oz per 15 gallons, double that if any bio content, and for a while the Sunoco stations on the GS Parkway had a sticker on their diesel pumps that said the fuel contained up to 5% bio.

In any event, I buy the PS in 64 or 80 ounce jugs, and use those to refill a set of 4 6-oz bottles I keep in the trunk (white set for winter, silver set for summer). I fill through a funnel, since the larger jugs have a wider mouth than the small one.

However, it seems like almost every time I refill the smaller bottles, the stuff ends up dribbling down the large jug and dripping on the ledge holding the small bottles and/or the floor. I've tried mulitple orientations of the large jug while pouring, to no avail. I used to think it was because of the foil seal you have to pierce to open the jug the first time, but a year or two back PS moved to a different seal that has a "pull flap" that takes that off cleanly, and I'm still dripping most of the time. It's almost as if PS is buying their larger jugs from a "dribble glass" manufacturer (for those that are unfamiliar with the term, it's a joke item that looks like a normal glass but is designed intentionally to dribble/drip on the person drinking from it). A couple years ago I bought a bottle of Howes when it was all I could get with anti-gel, and had no dribbling issues.

Has anyone else had dribbling problems when doing this sort of thing? if so, I'd be interested in hearing how you mitigated the issue. I'm seriously considering trying to modify a cap to incorporate a spout, a manual pump of some sort, or maybe two hoses (one to dispense, one wtih a squeeze bulb to get a sort of "garden sprayer" effect), as the dribbling is rather annoying.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I just filled my crankcase with half a gallon of delvac and half a 5qt jug of Quaker state 5 minutes ago. I like to orient them with the broad side horizontal and slowly tip in. Didn't spill a drop and no funnel. Maybe those jugs are more squarish. And even the 0w20 quaker state is much thicker than PS. I'd just keep an old rag handy to wipe off any spillage.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I use the 64oz jug and a small funnel to fill the small bottle. I keep the spout the highest point while pouring so the jug isn't trying to breathe. Can't recall having an issue, but sometimes I get soup on my chin.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I just pour it from the big bottle to the smaller ones that transport better....from a gallon or half to the 32 usually....then just estimate the dose (honestly don't care if I use almost double in the winter or half in the summer, it lets me br flexible in adding different amounts of fuel too).
A funnel when full helps but usually just eyeball it when switching containers... going more than 75-85% full and letting it spill it a waste of time(messy too), so just get it "full enough" .
But I ALWAYS use a funnel when adding it to the car....even if miss sized to open the flapper, it doesn't matter, they typical few ounces just dribble in around the edge.

Last edited:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I funnel it in smaller bottles and keep 5 bottles in the trunk which are used every month. I was spilling it everywhere but having it in smaller bottles is handy indeed

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
The mouth of the 16oz PS bottle (I mistakenly said "6 oz" above) fits nicely with room to spare in the MKIV TDI filler neck (at least my ALH).

What I keep seeing is that virtually every time I try to pour out of the large (64/80 ounce) jug, some of the stuff always "wicks' around the mouth, runs down the jug, and hits the floor. Multiple variations of bottle position (both pour angle and "rotation") have been tried to no success.

I still have 3 full bottles, so my next "decanting" isn't until late next month. Will keep pondering in the meantime...

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Ok nobody seems to get what you mean but I know what your talking about, I had a couple of jugs of Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000 that did that all the time too, always trickling down the side of the jug.
Not sure what to do about that, wonder if you could retrofit one of those spigot type things from Tide detergent jugs somehow? Would have to find a way to vent it I guess.
If you have a 3D printer or know someone who does that would make it easier, possibilities are endless in that case.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Go to your local hardware store buy something like this with a nut on the short end. (Make sure the other end will fit the tube depending on what you go with).

Grab like a 3/4"-1" tube and a hose clamp. drill a hole in the ps jug cap (so its a tight fit around the pipe fitting) put the pipe fitting through it seal and crank that nut down on the cap good. push the hose onto the outside end and attach the hose clamp. Now you can pour it through the hose and such straight into the smaller one or into a funnel. Then just hold onto the cap and tube creation for all your future bottles.
Good idea, ya/no idk give it a go!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I use the same exact setup, pour it quicker and it won’t do that

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
What I do is…
- Leave the foil seal on the big jug of Power Service
- Puncture a small hole on one side of the foil seal
- Puncture a larger hole on the opposite side of the foil seal
- Using the small hole as a vent, slowly pour through the larger hole into small bottles
- NOTE: when piercing the foil, try not to break the foil piece off completely

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Go to your local hardware store buy something like this with a nut on the short end. (Make sure the other end will fit the tube depending on what you go with).

Grab like a 3/4"-1" tube and a hose clamp. drill a hole in the ps jug cap (so its a tight fit around the pipe fitting) put the pipe fitting through it seal and crank that nut down on the cap good. push the hose onto the outside end and attach the hose clamp. Now you can pour it through the hose and such straight into the smaller one or into a funnel. Then just hold onto the cap and tube creation for all your future bottles.
Good idea, ya/no idk give it a go!
This sounds like it should work

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What I do is…
- Using the small hole as a vent, slowly pour through the larger hole into small bottles
I don't recall having an issue with pouring from the jug, but I thought I would try this before removing the foil as I had to open a new jug. Worked slicker than owl crap on a hot tin roof.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
What I do is…
Just a quick "follow-up" to close the discussion:

Couple weeks ago I picked up my first jug of silver-bottle PS, and used the above process to load my in-trunk bottles. Worked beautifully - no dribbles!

Will do this on all future bottles...